This thread is privately moderated by jarel design, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 28, 2008, 10:37 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Getting back into creating kits!

In the late 80's and early 90's, I created and sold three kits (I'll post photos later):

Telos:
Fiberglass, carbong fiber/kevlar epoxy Canard slope glider with blue foam cores... tons of press in most of the magazines of the time.

Shogun:
Vacuum formed flying wing styled slope ship (Seems to have been the inspiration for many of todays Stryker type planes...)

Impulse:
Vacuum formed pod & boom multi-task and electric glider... sold thousands of them...

Then I was introduced to special effects film work and got totally lost in the fun of creating the most unusual objects, models, robotic creatures and for price tags that were just too incredible to turn down...

A lot of people thought my model airplane business (Jarel Aircraft Design & Engineering went "under"... In reality, "JADE" simply became Jarel Design (www.jareldesign.com) in fact going "over"...

I left Los Angeles in 1999, moving up to Oregon and the Rogue Valley... Instead of freeways, police helicopters and sirens, I now live by a private pond (with fish), two streams, waterfalls and tons of trees...

Still doing special effects work, toy design/prototype development and most recently, have gotten into fine art in the form of kinetic sculptures (visit the website for more info)...

Something was missing though...

RC FLYING!!!!!

I pulled out some old planes but wanted something fast like a hotliner... I bought a hobby lobby Free Bird and realized it could be done a lot better, so I modified it (See my photo accompanied postings on what and how I made these mods) and came up with a screaming little ship (Used a cheap Suppo motor/ESC combo that I LOVE!

The OV-10 Bronco was something I started a while back as a personal project (The reason I created vacuum formed parts was that I like to FLY... and flying means crashing... for the work it takes me to create a scratch built foamie, I can put a little more work into the originals and come up with easily replaceable parts...

After flying it for a while and getting requests for kits, I finally decorated it and switched over to some cheap brushless motors... WOW! My dear friend now wants one and we will probably build two at a time, photo-documenting the process for a set of photo-instructions...

Need to get back to work... more later.
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2008, 02:53 PM
Who put that TREE there!!
Wow, great work. What are the specs of your Bronco? (wingspan,weight etc)
May 15, 2008, 07:20 PM
Thread OP
OV-10 Bronco

Construction: Foam sheet and vacuumformed plastic

Wingspan: 38.5"
Wing area:137.5 sq in / 1.649 sq ft
All Up Weight:18.6oz
Wing Loading:11.3 oz/sq ft
Power: IPS GWS (Tiger Moth replacements)
Props: GWSEP 9X7
Battery: 2S Li-Po 730ma
Rx: 4ch Pico (HS-55 servos)
Elvator, Aileron, Steerable nose wheel, ESC
ESC: GWS WWESC 300A

I now have a pair of CHEAP Suppo motors (B2208-14 with 8x4s) in this bird and absolutely LOVE it! Carrying a heavy 2200ma 3S lipo with no problems and I can fly for quite a while (20min? never really run the battery all the way down...)

The final wing loading is 17.55 oz per sq ft

Thanks for the kind words!
Dec 11, 2008, 05:19 PM
Any chance you can scale this up to a .75 size model?
It would be a perfect layout for us FPV flyers, as the cockpit will work well with a head tracking camera sytem.

Quick Reply