Apr 27, 2008, 09:03 PM
Rocket Programmer
Thread OP
Video

Electric SIG Hummer Maiden

This turned out pretty well, but it started off kinda scary

I think she can go a bit faster, but this is pretty fun!

Info about the plane is in the video. It was a fun build, and the first time I really had to work out the numbers for a power system myself. My calculations said it should go 112mph, but it's not nearly up to that... not sure where I got it wrong. Probably the altitude and the drag of the plane.
Last edited by jasmine2501; Apr 28, 2008 at 12:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 27, 2008, 09:34 PM
Rocket Programmer
Thread OP
BTW, if anyone knows how I can find the actual speed from the video somehow... please let me know.

Here's the Youtube link, but not as good quality.
Pink Lighting - I Can't Fly 55! (4 min 24 sec)
Last edited by jasmine2501; Apr 28, 2008 at 07:07 PM.
Apr 30, 2008, 09:46 AM
Nice job Jas!
Apr 30, 2008, 07:12 PM
Rocket Programmer
Thread OP
Nice job to you too! Not everyone could have kept a camera pointed at that thing, but the footage came out really great
Apr 30, 2008, 07:16 PM
That was great, I used to have a hummer about 20 years ago, ran an .049 with a 2 oz tank, I flew the crap out of it, it would run for about 15 or 20minutes on a tank, good cheap fun.

Frank
May 01, 2008, 09:16 AM
flying techy

Nice flight.

Nice paint scheme, i bet you would not have a hard time seeing that plane. The beginning looked like it dumped into the grass there. Fly's great though.

nice spongy landing. You must have good shocks on that one, bfgoodrich?
May 01, 2008, 08:43 PM
Rocket Programmer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Flyer
Nice paint scheme, i bet you would not have a hard time seeing that plane. The beginning looked like it dumped into the grass there. Fly's great though.

nice spongy landing. You must have good shocks on that one, bfgoodrich?
Thanks you, yes it is fairly easy to see, but it's small and fast and you can't really tell the top from the bottom very well. Yes, right after take off, it was climbing out nicely, so I let go of the elevator, and it snapped into a sharp dive. I pulled it out just in time and was able to trim it with almost full elevator trim. I've adjusted the push rod so it's in the center now, but it was pretty scary for a minute there. I thought I had the elevator straight, but I guess not. It looks a little up now, so I might need to make the CG forward a little. It just has aluminum sheet metal struts on the wheels, but I covered it with green monokote, so it's bouncy, but it lands good on the dirt runway at the other end of the club. I also put a fixed tail wheel on it which should keep the tail off the ground a bit better.

That is why the camera man is saying get it up and trimmed out. She was badly out of trim and that part is mostly cut out of the video. It took 4 or 5 circuits to get the trim anywhere close, then I played with it some more at different speeds. The plane does slow down nicely, but it will stall. I found out that my 6x4 prop is pulling 38 amps, so if I can get a 6x4.5 I might be able to get 100mph out of it. Doppler says 86mph on that last run there.
Last edited by jasmine2501; May 01, 2008 at 08:48 PM.
May 02, 2008, 12:00 AM
flying techy
Ah ok you are pulling 38amps, it can go faster definitly.

I am running 10amps on my airplane and i can make it go at least 50-60mph with a good dive and down wind. Just not too low to the ground lol. Its an old glider technique.

try getting some ideas from this video clip.

fast speed passes

Quick Reply