HoneyBee CP2 Direct Drive Brushless Tail with Tail Servo - Piro Tests - RC Groups
Apr 27, 2008, 05:35 AM
Discussion

HoneyBee CP2 Direct Drive Brushless Tail with Tail Servo - Piro Tests

Ok, inspired by the Servo controlled direct drive brushless tail concept;

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852288

I decided to try this on a HoneyBee CP2 Carbon fiber based tail and got positive results;

HoneyBee CP2 Brushless Direct Drive Tail with Tail Servo (4 min 11 sec)

UPDATE (8/26/08): Fancy 360 degree yaws

Honeybee CP2 w/ DirectDrive Variable Pitch Tail - 360 yaws (6 min 35 sec)

Some tests on Piros and Rudder using an Eflite G90 Gyro in Heading Hold Mode;

Quick CounterClockwise - Clockwise Piro Flips
HoneyBee CP2 Brushless Direct Drive+Tail Servo-Quick Piros (0 min 30 sec)

The rest of the piro test vidoe
HoneyBee CP2 Brushless Direct Drive with Tail Servo -Piros (2 min 20 sec)

I simply removed the old brush motor tail assembly and replaced it with a brushless motor + BeltCp Tail and secured it to the CP2 carbon fiber shaft tail using a CP2 BladeG Grip/Holder;

Motor is powered by a 10A ESC with the speed controlled directy from the receiver's Channel 3 (connected in parallel with the main motor ESC, middle wire removed as this heli has a UBEC).

A tail servo is added and mounted on the carbon fiber tail using a "plastic spacer" which i got from a ballpen body. This was glued (CA'd) on the carbon fiber shaft;

The "spacer" is needed so that i could mount the servo on the thin carbon fiber shaft and allowing the servo to be "positional adjustable" during fine tuning.

For the servo linking arm, i used HBK2's servo tail rod;

Last edited by EQMOD; Sep 09, 2008 at 06:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 27, 2008, 05:38 AM
Some test flight videos;

HoneyBee CP2 Brushless Direct Drive Tail with Tail Servo (4 min 11 sec)
Apr 27, 2008, 05:48 AM
More Flight Photos ...

Last edited by EQMOD; Sep 09, 2008 at 06:21 PM.
Apr 27, 2008, 09:13 AM
Pirouetting flip master
EQMOD, is this mod better than the last one you did?
do you have a computerized TX?

by the way, the biggest problem with my CP2 tail driven by motor is hard throttle made the tail swinging violently.

i have see your video, it's really tight tail, but what happen if you push the throttle so hard that it jump up 3 feet to the sky? will the tail swing violently?

which of your solution is best?

the tail ESC connecting parallel to the main ESC without the positive wire works?
no problem paralleling two signal into one channel?
Apr 27, 2008, 09:26 AM
anarchist
Quote:
Originally Posted by EQMOD
Motor is powered by a 10A ESC with the speed controlled directy from the receiver's Channel 3 (connected in parallel with the main motor ESC, middle wire removed as this heli has a UBEC).

this actually worked??!!?? edit idiot me. of course it did...even with a belt the tail speed is not constant.

what's the AUW?

frac
Last edited by frac; Apr 27, 2008 at 09:34 AM.
Apr 27, 2008, 09:47 AM
is that a 10 gram 2000kv outrunner motor? or 24 gram?
Apr 27, 2008, 10:01 AM
anarchist
this looks interesting:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6298

frac
Apr 27, 2008, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyclyc
EQMOD, is this mod better than the last one you did?
do you have a computerized TX?

by the way, the biggest problem with my CP2 tail driven by motor is hard throttle made the tail swinging violently.

i have see your video, it's really tight tail, but what happen if you push the throttle so hard that it jump up 3 feet to the sky? will the tail swing violently?

which of your solution is best?

the tail ESC connecting parallel to the main ESC without the positive wire works?
no problem paralleling two signal into one channel?
This mod is better because its lighter than the first one as there are less metal parts. Yes, i am using a computerized TX but it will work with the standard TX as i am only using the default settings and there are no mixing functions except for the CCPM (Ch1, Ch2, and Ch6).

One time I actually accidentally shifted the throttle upwards causing the heli to jump high but the tail held on as the Tail ESC had also increased in speed as both Main rotor ESC and tail ESC are connected to channel 3.

Even without connecting the positive wire of the tail ESC, the whole system will work as the red wire of this ESC is also a BEC output but this BEC is not used so i disconnected it. The Channel3 RX signal output has enough current to provide control signals to the two ESCs.

UPDATE:

Hard Throttle Tests:

I decided to try this test and see how the tail will handle a sudden surge of main rotor (which is using a brushless motor) torque and it did well;

I am not using the idle up mode here which means the sudden punch in altitude is a combination of the sudden increase in rotor speed and ccpm pitch. You can actually listen to the main rotor's pitch sound as it changes speed;

HoneyBee CP2 Brushless Direct Drive Tail with Tail Servo -2 (0 min 43 sec)
Last edited by EQMOD; Apr 30, 2008 at 11:06 PM.
Apr 27, 2008, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frac
\

what's the AUW?

frac
I have not measured that yet.
Apr 27, 2008, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel48
is that a 10 gram 2000kv outrunner motor? or 24 gram?
Its a 24gram 1100Kv outrunner motor.
Apr 27, 2008, 10:44 AM
Quote:

That should work as a tail although we need to modify the pitch control arm so that it can be used as a tail rotor.
Apr 27, 2008, 12:00 PM
anarchist
Quote:
Originally Posted by EQMOD
That should work as a tail although we need to modify the pitch control arm so that it can be used as a tail rotor.

i just stumbled on this one turns out there is a whole range of sizes with one having 7" rotor....there may be others. i think these are for planes? what the hell we can make better use of em

but that's 43 g for the whole tail, motor and everything,too much?

this one looks like it would be the best for us...simple control arm and a pivot to the servo:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6467

frac
Last edited by frac; Apr 27, 2008 at 12:44 PM.
Apr 27, 2008, 01:26 PM
I can tell without even trying it,,, it's very tail heavy .. Servo wires tail blades tail servo rod on and on ,,, all behind the cg!!
Not good.
Apr 27, 2008, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT
I can tell without even trying it,,, it's very tail heavy .. Servo wires tail blades tail servo rod on and on ,,, all behind the cg!!
Not good.
The center of gravity is still under the main rotor as you need to move the main battery forward for any additional components applied on the tail.

That is what we usually do whenever we apply mods such as direct drive, dual motor mod, or the popular ducted fan tail rotor mod.

Also, we could still play around with lighter components such as using a smaller brushless motor.
Last edited by EQMOD; Apr 27, 2008 at 02:32 PM.
Apr 27, 2008, 02:31 PM
Quote:
i just stumbled on this one turns out there is a whole range of sizes with one having 7" rotor....there may be others. i think these are for planes? what the hell we can make better use of em

but that's 43 g for the whole tail, motor and everything,too much?

this one looks like it would be the best for us...simple control arm and a pivot to the servo:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6467

frac
May be heavy but it will work.