Apr 25, 2008, 10:01 PM
AA6JB
Thread OP
Discussion

Introducing Hoffman Magnetics, Inc and Their New Series of Brushless Outrunner Motors

I was very excited to finally meet one of my fellow RCGroupers today, Holedigger, and the exciting new company that he is a key part of:

Hofffman Magnetics Inc.

They are bringing to market a series of brushless outrunners and they involved Pete because of his vast EDF expertise, knowledge and abilities. The joint credentials of the members of the company are impressive! With extensive experience in the design and manufacture of DC Brushed, DC Brushless, Servo and Linear motors ansd their controllers, they have produced motors for products such as the Tomahawk Cruise Missile, the Maverick Missile, the Panavision camera and other notable industries and products. Now they are turning their attention to meeting the demands of the RC industry. With over a century of combined experience, it will be exciting to see their motors come to market.

They had four motors on display at the Expo today:

The 3D/Micro "Mini Mite" for 6-12 ounce 3D parkflyers and 10-15 ounce sport park flyers.

The 3D Sport "The Rocket" for 13-19 ounce 3D park flyers and 15-25 ounce sport park flyers.

The EDF 60 "Mighty Mite", capable of flying a 36 ounce jet with speed and authority.

The EDF 70, called "The Beast". This one is desrcribed as "raw power" and capable of delivering excessve speeds and great performance.

The motors are designed and assembled in Chatsworth, CA, with both US and imported parts.

Best wishes to Pete and Hoffman Magnetics on this exciting new venture and stay tuned to RCGroups for more info on these new motors!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 25, 2008, 10:26 PM
Looks like the beast would be a good choice for my twister........hmmm!!!!
I've been waiting for the new big outrunner to appear from Littlescreamers for a while now..... the beast even looks like alike. If this motor would be good for the twister on 4 cells I will buy one now. Any data on 4s with a wemofan, Het or WM400?
Last edited by Efloatflyer; Apr 25, 2008 at 10:51 PM. Reason: remembered name of fan
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:34 PM
doppler1
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Obnoxious behavior).
Apr 25, 2008, 11:19 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
That pack looks like 4s. Any idea the capacity and what fan that is? Did they give any figures?
Apr 25, 2008, 11:56 PM
Classic jets rule
looks like a "schubie" fan
Apr 26, 2008, 12:01 AM
Still Screamin'!
You know what they say

Copying is the greatest form of flattery

And pete told us he wasn't making motors What are the specs? Price?
Apr 26, 2008, 12:14 AM
Classic jets rule
let me guess 1400 watts
Apr 26, 2008, 12:15 AM
Dont forget the velcro straps
nice F-16
Last edited by corsair nut; Apr 28, 2008 at 11:48 PM.
Apr 26, 2008, 12:17 AM
Still Screamin'!
Gee I wonder You did a good job on it CN Too bad you didn't paint it for them too!
Apr 26, 2008, 12:19 AM
Still Screamin'!
Oh well I'm not going to get into a thread and be accused of more crap so I will just sit back and watch
Apr 26, 2008, 08:47 AM
Rotormantic

motors

There's little new in the motor business, especially in the commercial side. The big jump was to brushless with the low cost of sensorless controllers.

In this price range the only thing a manufacturer can do is incorporate better materials.

magnet choice makes a big different. If they go with something like an expensive Samarium-Colbalt or lesser Neodymium over AlNiCo or ceramic, it will net you more power density. Or if they can get more slot fill of copper wire. Most winding practices wrap magnet wire by pulling around a lamination core. These guys below push wire and can get more turns into a stack than most (although the outrunner style may be a challege).

http://www.electrowind.com/

Even though is looks like bare copper, magnet wire is insulated. The better insulations are in the 180-220C range, meaning they can withstand more current without breaking down. Magnets can also permenently de-mag when hot, so again the rare earth type are less prone to de-mag.

None of this stuff comes cheap, and I wonder if that's why someone like Neu charges 2x-3x more than the run of the mill stuff?
Last edited by FNFAL; Apr 26, 2008 at 08:53 AM.
Apr 26, 2008, 09:52 AM
I'm goin' Falcon nuts
The beast looks interesting. I wonder if/ how the rear is supported in the motor housing. The LS has an O ring support that looks like a good idea. This one looks like it may have "fingers" that engage the motor tube, if it's the right diameter.
RCA
Apr 26, 2008, 10:17 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
No more info than we already have but here's the website for Hoffman: http://www.thecareerexplorers.com/hoffmanmagnetics/

Mike
Apr 26, 2008, 12:50 PM
Never fast enough...
Hmmm, that motor looks kind of familiar...
Apr 26, 2008, 12:56 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent
... Copying is the greatest form of flattery ...
Is this what you are refering to Rene?
2004 or even earlier, I don't remember exactly.

http://www.torcman.de/index_e.htm

Quick Reply