Apr 25, 2008, 05:02 PM
North East England
Thread OP
Build Log

'Emma' from 'Flambards'...

As I've mentioned a couple of times previously, I loved the 70's TV series 'Flambards' - a turn-of-the-century love/drama series with an aviation theme, featuring models by David Boddington in the flying scenes. Thankfully, the series made it to DVD, and I now watch it with monotonous regularity!

Apart from the scale models featured, such as the Bleriot (available at the time as a large kit), the early episodes featured a very attractive biplane called 'Emma', in which the main character learns to fly. I assume Boddington free-lanced this design for the series and with it's open-frame fuselage, biplane tail and skids, it certainly captures the air of early aviation. It's been on my 'planes I'd like to build' list for 30+ years...

Anyway, a while ago I saw a plan for 'Emma' and promptly purchased it! At 63" though it's too big for my smallish field so a reduction to about 40" will be required, which I'm doing at the moment - cutting that lovely plan up into A4 sheets and feeding them into my scanner.

It should be a good, light model for 'electrification' with my usual bell motor.

Steve

PS A full-size 'Emma' was built for the series, so I'm quite correct in putting my build in the 'Scale' forum. (Okay, the full-size one was non-flying, but that's not my fault... )
Last edited by Redbaron25; Oct 24, 2017 at 05:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 25, 2008, 05:40 PM
Triffic!

I love fantasy scale..
Apr 26, 2008, 04:08 PM
North East England
Thread OP
Forgot to mention..the plan also shows a triplane version too. 3 wings and 2 tails - very tempting! Built in it's original state (for .60 - .70 engines), the plane weighs 7 pounds and the front end is rather solidly built - to put it mildly - so a little re-design is needed to suit 'leccy power. Wings are under-cambered and I may stick with this to improve slow flight.

Steve (still scanning - these are 2 BIG sheets)
Apr 26, 2008, 04:48 PM
Electric Coolhunter
I really enjoyed Flambards when it was on PBS here in the states.....and there is no doubt you are building a scale model...

I will have to get the DVD.
Latest blog entry: RC events for 2019!
Apr 26, 2008, 05:46 PM
Heli Bouncer
Hi Steve,

Nice, Great to see you doing this model. I got to email Mark Boddington about the full scale "non" flyers in Flambards and the VW engined, full scale "Bleriot" as actually capable of short, ground effect, floating flights. They had a lot of fun with it.

We've got the DVD for "Those Magnificent Men.." at our local video rental store and Ken Annikin's comments about the full scale planes and the various quirk's they had was enlightening. Did you know the Antionette was the worst handling and most bothersome plane to fly of the group? You can probably guess which one was the nicest.

Lewis
Apr 27, 2008, 04:09 AM
North East England
Thread OP
I read that in the 'Wings' WW1 TV series, which Boddington also created models for, they were able to get the full-size 'non-flying' BE2c replica into the air for short hops too - bet that was fun. 'Wings' is not available on DVD, which is a great shame.

In 'Those Magnifient Men' I always liked the German plane, which is very similar to the 'Emma' in a lot of respects and looks like it would make a good flyer in model form. One thing which is apparent in that film is the fact that the little Demoiselle was far faster than any of the other competitiors in the air race - would have been a safe bet to win (assuming the engine kept running of course!).

I've finished scanning the 'Emma'...time for a cup of tea and a 'print and sellotape' session

Steve
Apr 27, 2008, 04:41 AM
Steve,
I'm pretty sure that in my collection I have the RCME with the article about Flambards,
probably the one that Emma was published. Do you need a scan (assuming I have it)?
Apr 27, 2008, 08:19 AM
North East England
Thread OP
Thanks Kiwi, any extra info would be great. Well, I've finished scanning the big plan - it ran to 41 seperate bits! I've printed them out at 58% giving a span of 37", slightly smaller than the 40" I'd originally planned, but it suits the wood sizes better.

Steve
Apr 27, 2008, 03:26 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looooeeee!
Hi Steve,

We've got the DVD for "Those Magnificent Men.." at our local video rental store and Ken Annikin's comments about the full scale planes and the various quirk's they had was enlightening. Did you know the Antionette was the worst handling and most bothersome plane to fly of the group? You can probably guess which one was the nicest.

Lewis
Somewhere in my library is a great book about the building, testing and flying of all the replica aircaft for TMMITFM, plus stories about flying for the movie. According to them, the Avro Triplane was the best flyer.

Still a few copies floating about, but it is getting rare and pricey:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...9328450&sr=1-1

Unfortunately, now and in the future, we are doomed to see nothing but CGI stuff for vintage aircraft movies....ala "Flyboys".
Last edited by Thomas B; Apr 27, 2008 at 03:35 PM.
Apr 27, 2008, 08:08 PM
Found it
Apr 28, 2008, 06:28 AM
FlyLikeAnEagle-LandLikeADove
It really is too bad that movies are CGI. With all the advances in CGI and flight simulators the planes and the flying scenes still look fake to me, so fake that it is actually hard to watch. With the huge amount of money they spend to make the movies and pay the actors, you would think they could afford to build (or rent ) replicas or at least use decent models.

Emma should be a nice small field flyer. How do you cover undercambered wings? Can you still use the iron on films or do you need to go to another method?
Apr 28, 2008, 12:30 PM
North East England
Thread OP
Kiwi - thanks for those article pages, I must have missed that issue. Apparently 'Emma' has had many incarnations! Pity the 'Flambards' DVD set didn't include the out-takes mentioned in the article.

U2builder - I agree totally about the use of CGI, I'd rather see a couple of real replicas flying too, not the usual painted-up Tiger Moths or Stampes. Let's hope there's some 'real' planes in the new Red Baron film, made in Germany (so it may actually bear some resemblance to his life!)

In the past I've covered undercambered wings with Solartex, simply by ironing the material onto the edge of every rib, as well as round the wing frame. On a gentle undercamber this worked fine, but on a more pronounced camber the shrinking process could pull the covering off the rib edge, ending up with a flat bottom section. In this case I'd first brush full-strength PVA (white woodworking) glue onto the rib edges and cover while the glue was not quite dry - seemed to hold it okay. I've known people with bigger models cover the bottom of the wing first, then stitch the Solartex to the rib - don't think I'd have that much patience

Tissue and dope covering was slightly different - first give each rib edge a coat of full-strength dope (to act as an adhesive) and allow to dry. Then apply the tissue and brush thinned dope through it onto the rib edge, which partially softens the adhesive coat and sticks it to the rib. Do one rib at a time, working down the wing and keeping the tissue taut. Be careful when applying the final sealing coats of dope as it can soften the underlying coat and the covering comes away from the ribs! (been there, done that)

Anyway, construction has started on 'Emma's tail - my favourite part of this plane. Nice exercise in 1/8" strip, rather than the 1/4" x 3/16" of the original. After cutting the scallops out of the trailing edge, I rub white glue into the edges, let dry then sand smooth - stiffens up the trailing edge.

On the original, the elevator halves are seperate but I'll add a wire joiner, rather than mess around trying to line up both elevators when I install the closed loop wires.

Steve
Apr 29, 2008, 06:55 PM
Heli Bouncer
Uh oh, with all this anti CGI sentiment I guess i shouldn't mention the "models" I've been making lately..
Apr 30, 2008, 11:28 AM
North East England
Thread OP
Just pm'ed you telling you to post a few pics - and you already have

Nice models Lewis - the engine on the RE8 looks very realistic. I hope you'll do a FMS version of them too, I'm sure many people would like to add them to their collection. I downloaded Metasequoia LE (the free version) ages ago and did a Morane L (based on my Rake model at the time). Just needs engine and cowl to complete, so if you ever fancy finishing it off, let me know and I'll mail you the file, I'm sure you can really make it look good.

Steve
Apr 30, 2008, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder
It really is too bad that movies are CGI. With all the advances in CGI and flight simulators the planes and the flying scenes still look fake to me, so fake that it is actually hard to watch. With the huge amount of money they spend to make the movies and pay the actors, you would think they could afford to build (or rent ) replicas or at least use decent models.
All hope may not be lost. For the recent version of King Kong, a non-flying reproduction of the Curtis F8C was built so maybe we'll see more in the future and large scale r/c models were used in the fairly recent Howard Hughs movie.

Quick Reply