Glassing Dollar Tree Foam Board? - RC Groups
Apr 25, 2008, 11:29 AM
Tom Bass Park RC Nonconformist
Discussion

Glassing Dollar Tree Foam Board?

I recently started a Light Mod 22" P51 Foamy with no paper skin. I removed all the paper covering and made the fuse out of 4 Ply of this foam. The wings are 2 Ply of this foam too, with air foiled wings to boot. Now, I did noticed that now that I have done 1/2 of the build.. the foam is very soft and easily scored by almost anything.

I ordered some .75 glassing cloth from this place

http://www.thayercraft.com/Style%20106.htm

@ $14.00 for it I couldn't pass on the price. Has anyone ever glassed a foamy this small before? Would it even be worth it? Might be able to last a little longer than having nothing at all to protect it from the inevitable bad landing or wing to ground contact..

I tried to do a search on the subject but, found little to no real answers.. Any input would be greatly appreciated..

I will post pictures of the 51 later tonight.. There are no plans at this point, but will post the name from which plans I got the idea from...but did no follow for the most part.. The original plan called for ribbed wings and compartmented fuse etc.. I just traced the outline and started with a profile Foamy.. ended up with a 1/2 full fuse... Go figure !!!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 25, 2008, 11:43 AM
CI, i'm really looking forward to see the pics and see how it turns out.
i have been curious for awhile but, since i have never glassed anything before i am afraid that i'll do it wrong and waste some $$.
goodluck, hoping everything turns out great.
Apr 25, 2008, 12:08 PM
Haven't glassed, but had good luck on foam using Water based polyurethane spray and tissure paper. The colored paper is great.
Apr 26, 2008, 04:32 AM
My plans are in my blog
I am also interested in this idea. Never done a plane this way before.
Dritch... Does the tissue material add a bit of surface hardness? I must assume fiberglass will be stronger, yet heavier, but how does the tissue hold up?
Apr 26, 2008, 03:40 PM
Try this thread, J Morgan is very respected in the pusher Prop section as well in the Warbird area. If J morgan says it I belive him!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hreadid=161218

Also Corsair Nut , another well respected Builder in the various Jet Forums is using Elmers Woodworking glue thinned with water and says it comes out " wicked Light"
Apr 26, 2008, 04:23 PM
Tom Bass Park RC Nonconformist
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCLOUD
Try this thread, J Morgan is very respected in the pusher Prop section as well in the Warbird area. If J morgan says it I belive him!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hreadid=161218

Also Corsair Nut , another well respected Builder in the various Jet Forums is using Elmers Woodworking glue thinned with water and says it comes out " wicked Light"

OMG !!

The mother of all info I needed.. Thank you very much RWCloud. That's the thread and all the info I needed..

Apr 26, 2008, 09:29 PM
You're welcom