Apr 24, 2008, 03:51 PM
MPP
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Build Log

Ron Daniels Hawker Tempest Mark V

Well as I sit here and recover from the Boston Marathon, I decided to start my new Ron Daniels Hawker Tempest. My box arrived Monday and I finally opened it last night. Man Ron you got a lot packed in that box and it is going to be cool watching it blow up into a 46” Warbird.

Anyway as I read through the directions I started realizing the size of this bird, and I am stating to get a little nervous. This is the biggest build I have attempted and I must say it is a bit intimidating. So I am starting this thread to help get me through this build and answer some questions like installing air retracts and such. Originally I thought I would enter it in the Kit Fun build contest but I just don’t think I will have time to finish it.

Anyway here is my plan.

Build to the plans
Figure out air retracts (a first for me)
Power 25 outrunner
45 Amp ECS
TP 3S 3300 mAh battery
Vario 4 blade 8B hub with 10.4” blades (possibly left turning)
Tru Turn spinner
AUW goal 3lbs
Learn new build techniques
Find a full scale Tempest to model and research it
Have fun

This looks like it will be a cool journey and I know that there are others out there building this kit so maybe we can share our building tips and tricks.

Now on to the build. Woo Whooo!

Mark (V?)
to remove ads between posts
Apr 24, 2008, 04:30 PM
4th Generation
Awesome! I have only to paint my Ron Daniels Sea Fury, then its ready to fly.
Its essentially the same kit, with some minor changes.
If you have any questions id be happy to help!
Apr 24, 2008, 07:35 PM
I eat glue
Have fun! I'm finishing up it's grandfather, the Hawker Typhoon Mk1a, same size. I've also got Ron's Typhoon MkV, and his Superchipmunk sitting in boxes, along with a bazillion other kits. Far too little time.
Balguy
Apr 25, 2008, 03:22 PM
MPP
MPP
Thanks Shaver, good luck on your Sea Fury Looks like a nice kit. Did you do retracts on yours? If so was it easy to hook up? I think I am going to order the #603 air retracts, I think they come in a kit from robart.

Baldguy, luv your Typhoon. Nice build. Sounds like you have the Hawker early line covered pretty well. Is the RD Typhoon the Tempest V? or did he make a Typhoon kit also? I hear ya, never enough time.

Got the tail group done last night. As I get more into it I am starting to feel a little more comfortable. Still I am sure I will get stuck here and there. Still nervous though.

Mark
Apr 25, 2008, 04:03 PM
Ay up it's warped
I am awaiting mine coming across the pond so signing in on your build.

This site should help you somewhat

http://www.hawkertempest.se/

It does ping up my popup blocker but I have looked at it quite a few times and never got bitten.

There are 29 videos on Youtube as well

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...t&search_type=

and 48 side views here!

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/572
Last edited by mtbrider; Apr 25, 2008 at 04:47 PM.
Apr 25, 2008, 05:00 PM
I eat glue
Oooops, yer right Mark, it is the Tempest MkV. I like this size of bird, I've got some Mark Rittinger plans, thinking of taking them up to 46", but it's only 4" more than they way they're designed, so I might just leave well enough alone. Mark designed them at that size for a reason, wood size, availability, and price.
Keep building!
Apr 25, 2008, 05:14 PM
4th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesperpound
Thanks Shaver, good luck on your Sea Fury Looks like a nice kit. Did you do retracts on yours? If so was it easy to hook up? I think I am going to order the #603 air retracts, I think they come in a kit from robart.

Mark
HI Mark.
No retracts on mine. I was aiming for low weight since this would be my first scale painted aircraft. I wanted to make sure that it still flew well.
I was planning on installing them on my MkV Tempest once I build that one though, as well as twin bomb drop.
Apr 26, 2008, 07:11 AM
4th Generation
Here is a thread which you should find useful:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...rwdrc+sea+fury
May 01, 2008, 11:02 AM
MPP
MPP
Sorry guys I have been away from this for a bit. MTBrider thanks for the links, I am keen on a few of the schemes in the profiles. I am sure I will pick one as I go along. Hope you get yours soon, if not already.

Shaver thanks for the Sea fury link. Looks like a similar build and great flyer. Hope you get yours done soon so we can see it up and running with all the details. Nice job.

I just ordered my Spring air retracts. Hope to have them by the time I get back from Vacation. I ran into a bit of a set back as I lost a part for the main wing frame and had to remake it minus the laser precision. Looks like it will work fine. Otherwise so far it all fits together well. I am looking forward to vacation but am also looking forward to get back to building.

Anyway that’s it for now.

Mark
Last edited by MPP; May 01, 2008 at 12:24 PM.
May 01, 2008, 12:05 PM
I eat glue
Looking good! I was thinking of sheeting the whole wing on mine. No retracts cuz I ain't got a good field to use them in.
May 01, 2008, 12:23 PM
MPP
MPP
Thanks Baldguy,

You must be close on your Typhoon? Looks great. I am mostly a belly flopper but I think I can squeeze in 2 ¼ to 2 ½” wheels that should get me off of a soccer field. If not, ROG on the Baseball diamond and belly flop Wheels up. I like to have the option, but we shall see.

Sheeting the wings would probably work nicely. Although the parts in the kit look so nice all laser cut and all. Are you going to start yours after the Typhoon?

Cheers,

Mark
May 01, 2008, 07:35 PM
4th Generation
I ended up sheeting my wings, it wasn't hard at all. Just measure thrice and cut ....once?
May 02, 2008, 05:21 PM
I eat glue
Yup, real close. Most of the markings are on, setting up servos this weekend, and mounting the Eflite Outrunner 10, then I gotta steal a new 3s pack and we're off to the races. please don't let me smack it, please don't let me smack it. My friend owns MAP, was gonna use his micro retracts on it, but will use them in our next project.(hint-it has two props). Will probably start on the Tempest as a "take a break" diversion while building the twin, either that or build Ron's Super Chippie that I've got too.

I usually measure once and cut thrice- that would explain a lot though.
May 03, 2008, 08:17 PM
If you're going to sheet your wings, trim about 1/8" off the back of the D-tube sheeting, and use 1/4 x 1/16 strips placed partially under the front edge of the rear wing sheeting. This will create ledges for gluing the sheeting in place.

To fill gaps between sheets, I use the edge of a scrap piece of balsa glued in with the scrap sheet on a 45º angle. When the glue dries, I then shave off the extra, leaving a triangular wedge in the gap, and the appearance of continuous sheeting on the top.

Ron Daniels
May 07, 2008, 11:55 PM
deltas are cool
is there any chance some body has a sea fury kit to sell ? or plans ? nice plane .....i got a hanker'n for a sea fury somthing fierce i have read there no longer in production is that correct? sorry to bust the thread as this is about the Tempest