Apr 23, 2008, 05:42 PM
4.2V of pure Kraut power
Thread OP
Discussion

Sink or swim - the future of 2.4 in Europe

Hi,

Just FYI:

On the 14. of May 2008 the European TCAM (Telecommunications Conformity Assessment and Market Surveillance Committee) will formally discuss and decide about the use of 2.4 Ghz for RC applications for Europe. This will be a special meeting outside of the normal schedule with only this one topic.

TCAM has the authority to ban the use of 2.4 Ghz (under the EN 300328 and ERC REC 70-03 regulation, thats up to 100mW output power) or formally allow it throughout Europe. The decision will likely affect all users of XPS/IFS, Spektrum and FASST in Europe.

Until now 2.4 Ghz with 100mW output power is tolerated in most EU countries but there is no formal decision yet. We meet stiff resistance from some industry groups, most notably RLAN conpanies who regard the ISM band as 'their very own turf'.

More info:

http://translate.google.com/translat...hl=de&ie=UTF-8
to remove ads between posts
Apr 23, 2008, 07:15 PM
Here in the UK OFCOM have explicitly allowed 2.4 GHz for RC systems as long as it complies with EN300-328 under the CEPT ERC 70-03.

As I confirmed recently with OFCOM, once a system is placed legitimately on the market, it cannot be revoked. So even if TCAM stipulate a ban, here in the UK my understanding is that it will continue to be used legally.
Apr 23, 2008, 08:55 PM
So your statement in the other place only refered to the UK ?
Apr 23, 2008, 10:00 PM
4.2V of pure Kraut power
Thread OP
AFAIK like the German BNA, the UK OFCOM allowed the RC use of 2.4 Ghz under EN300328 - with a catch: As long as not disallowed by EU ruling. TCAM decisions also apply to the UK. OFCOM is one of its members.
Last edited by bzfrank; Apr 23, 2008 at 10:06 PM.
Apr 24, 2008, 02:08 AM
I've just asked our national authority for clarification. As soon as I get an answer back, I'll let you know.

4S, the joys of the CE mark and exclamation symbol.

Oddly enough, these indicate that it is legal to sell this item BUT it MAY NOT be legal to use it !
Last edited by theaton56; Apr 24, 2008 at 03:17 AM. Reason: clarification
Apr 24, 2008, 04:09 AM
Quote:
will formally discuss and decide about the use of 2.4 Ghz for RC applications for Europe
So the decision will be made on the 14 May or is this possibly the first formal discussion of several?
Apr 24, 2008, 04:28 AM
Interesting: keep us informed!
Apr 24, 2008, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzfrank
TCAM has the authority to ban the use of 2.4 Ghz (under the EN 300328 and ERC REC 70-03 regulation, thats up to 100mW output power) or formally allow it throughout Europe.
Just to clarify: We are talking 100mW EIRP peak output here. I don't even want to know how many hundreds are already flying imported Spektrum systems or running their DX6i with US power setting.

Jürgen
Apr 24, 2008, 07:41 AM
A man with too many toys
I would think that the manufacturers would be pressuring the EU to adopt a world wide standard.

What is the competation for this frequency in Europe – or is there any?

Apr 24, 2008, 07:55 AM
4.2V of pure Kraut power
Thread OP
Quote:
or is this possibly the first formal discussion of several?
Most likely a decision will be made at that event. This will be a major event, it is not often that TCAM separates a point from the normal agenda (it was to be discussed at their normal meeting in early April).

A bit more background information:

According to this document (By Frank Tofahrn, RC Radio commissioner of the German Aeroclub)

http://www.modellflug-im-daec.de/ser...z_08-04-08.pdf

a formal complaint was filed during the 11th CEPT/ETSI Officials Meeting at 13. – 14. September 2007 by a representative of CISCO Systems. This complaint described the use of RC radio control as an example of invalid use of the ISM band and aimed at a complete ban of the use of 2.4 Ghz ISM band applications for anything else but WLAN and Bluetooth RLAN (again we are talking about the 100mW power level, 10mW is not contested).

In response to this a "RC consortium" task group was formed with the following members: ACT, DAeC (German Areoclub), DMFV (German RC Club), Graupner (XPS reseller as IFS), JSB (Spektrum reseller), Multiplex, RC-Network, Robbe (Futaba), Simprop, Weatronic
Last edited by bzfrank; Apr 24, 2008 at 08:00 AM.
Apr 24, 2008, 08:57 AM
RC Man, define a Worldwide Standard......

Each area has their own standards and those that are already on 1 system will complain if all of a sudden their perceived allocated frequency band is then being used by everyone else. Just like above.... why does CISCO think they have the rights to use 100mW alone ?

Anyway, Australasia have their own plans & standards, the USA & Canada have theirs, South America... not sure, Europe have a set of standards but not everyone adopts them e.g. France, so many different countries, so many different languages, so many different ways of interpreting a single standard.

You guys over there have a clear spot on 900 MHz that XPS is looking at to use, here in Europe its used for Mobile Phones...

Impossible to have a Worldwide Standard in the immediate future, perhaps later down the line it may be possible.
Apr 24, 2008, 10:55 AM
Tower sells Mode I Futaba FASST systems. They keep selling out! Practically nobody flies Mode I in the USA. I assume these are going to the EU to get around the VAT. They have FCC stickers on them.

There is a legal 28 MHz of bandwidth at 900 MHz for the USA. It may be OK for RC use. It ain't a clear spot! It's the same unlicensed cowboy free for all type of band as the 2.4 GHz spot.
Apr 24, 2008, 01:06 PM
While outnumbered by Mode 2 fliers there are still a sizeable number of US fliers on Mode 1. I can fly Mode 2 and Single stick but I prefer Mode 1.

I regularly fly at two different fields. One is about 50% Mode 1 while at the other I am the only one.

Quique, Bob Violett---------there are a few
Apr 24, 2008, 02:08 PM
it's very interesting for us here in italy, where there's a true farwest.
Many are already flying with imported radios, legally or not. It seems that we are one conutry where you can even buy 2,4ghz but not use it, at least at full power. note: i said "it seems"... because nobody can be sure on that.
Apr 24, 2008, 02:40 PM
I think that it will stay like it is.

Why would they gave all certificates for use and after 6 months they change the law. I will use my 2.4 if they ban it or not.

Every kid here have some radio control and i don't want to be shoot down. My planes are all over 1500$ and that's a lot of money for me.

Quick Reply