Dora Maiden - RC Groups
Apr 21, 2008, 09:49 PM
Fred
Discussion

Dora Maiden

Hello all,
I just got a Alfa Dora from HL and had my maiden Sunday (April 20, 2009). The weather was terrible and it had just stopped raining but was actually misting during the flight.
Since I wanted to maiden the FW190D badly, I took off from our field in "sunny" Florida with the help of Merlin tossing and Jim Restel video taping.
I did not put on all the red decals on the bottom of the fuse because I was not sure i would like the plane.
I like the plane very much after this flight!
The only real problem was the wing attachment screw/nut assembly. The screw bound up in the nut and I had to epoxy the nut and retap the nut to be sure everything was freely turning. The motor is an AXI 2212/20 Silver and the esc an ElectriFly 25 amp. The prop was an APC 8X6 Slow flyer.The servos (2)are Futuba s3114 mini servos. Everything else was as HL recommends.
My landing was terrible somewhat due to thinking at the last moment to turn away from the runway in order to protect the bottom of the fuse. I will do better in the future.
Fred in Florida
The YouTube link:
My Alfa Dora Maiden (2 min 58 sec)

Fred,John, and Dora small.jpg
dora sm 1493.jpg
dora red.jpg
Last edited by fredsgr; Apr 22, 2008 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Add photo
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2008, 05:32 AM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
Fred
You forgot to mention that the flight was at less than 1/2 throttle with your motor set up for the maiden! There is a lot more under that cowl,not that it was needed.
The plane flies beautifully and I was impressed by the fact if flew like a much larger plane! Conrad's on a successful maiden. Nice camera work by jamesdr as well!
MERLIN
P.S.
Put on all the decals! This plane is a keeper.
Apr 22, 2008, 06:12 AM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
Congrats on the maiden...may she serve you well!!! And something you may want to try instead of working with the wet rice paper decals is 1/4" white GP Quik Stripe, cures to the plane in about a day, and easier to work with.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=GPMQ1610&P=7
Apr 22, 2008, 07:09 AM
Fred
Thanks John and southernmd man for your comments. I was thinking of adding some images and more info but I was tired. Thanks again for the help, both of you!
Fred
Apr 22, 2008, 07:26 AM
What stalls falls
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredsgr
Thanks John and southernmd man for your comments. I was thinking of adding some images and more info but I was tired. Thanks again for the help, both of you!
Fred
Fred,

You will love the way she flies and the high visibility when the red flashes from the bottom. It really helps us old guys especially when the OD colors are so hard to see.

I would love for Alfa to start producing their airplanes in the 40-45" range with servos in the wing and easily plug in landing gear like the Art-Tech models have. A 40-45" wing span Dora would be the ultimate or maybe a TA-152 would be even better.

Merlin-when are you going to buy the Dora?
Larry
Aug 19, 2008, 08:55 AM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta152
Fred,

You will love the way she flies and the high visibility when the red flashes from the bottom. It really helps us old guys especially when the OD colors are so hard to see.

I would love for Alfa to start producing their airplanes in the 40-45" range with servos in the wing and easily plug in landing gear like the Art-Tech models have. A 40-45" wing span Dora would be the ultimate or maybe a TA-152 would be even better.

Merlin-when are you going to buy the Dora?
Larry

Never Larry!
My last two ,lets say mishaps were with German planes. I'll stick to American iron (from China etc.) from here on in. Seems Greman planes are bad JuJu for me. I might try a Jap Zero someday.but not today!
MERLIN