1/10 Semi-Scale EPP Mini Cassutt – Free Plans, Build Guide & Video - Page 51 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Apr 22, 2013, 11:13 AM
Registered User
Hi everybody,

Here is my version of this great aircraft, I chose to make it even smaller, about 75 of the original.
It's flies like her brother but a little more sensitive to wind, first i used aTurnigy nano-tech 120mAh 25C but it was not powerful, 300mah ( 35~70C ) heavier but much better, the plane is already fast with a 4025 props

Specs :

Wingspan : 13,6” 34,5cm
AUW : 55-65g (depends on the battery's weight)

Motor : HobbyKing AP05 3000kv 5,4gr
Esc : TURNIGY Plush 6A
Rx : OrangeRx R415
Battery : 2S300 Turnigy nano-tech
Servos : HK-5320 Ultra-Micro Digital Servo 1.7g ( elevator and rudder )
HK-282A Single-Screw, Ultra-Micro Servo 2g ( ailerons )
Prop : GWS 4025
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2013, 07:09 PM
Flying Half Pound and Down
DaOldGuy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernesto Fly
Hi everybody,

Here is my version of this great aircraft, I chose to make it even smaller, about 75 of the original.
It's flies like her brother but a little more sensitive to wind, first i used aTurnigy nano-tech 120mAh 25C but it was not powerful, 300mah ( 35~70C ) heavier but much better, the plane is already fast with a 4025 props

Specs :

Wingspan : 13,6” 34,5cm
AUW : 55-65g (depends on the battery's weight)

Motor : HobbyKing AP05 3000kv 5,4gr
Esc : TURNIGY Plush 6A
Rx : OrangeRx R415
Battery : 2S300 Turnigy nano-tech
Servos : HK-5320 Ultra-Micro Digital Servo 1.7g ( elevator and rudder )
HK-282A Single-Screw, Ultra-Micro Servo 2g ( ailerons )
Prop : GWS 4025
NICE... Mostly everyone has gone bigger, this is an interesting turn.
Apr 23, 2013, 04:49 AM
Registered Foam Abuser
Hey Ernesto Fly - that looks really sweet!

It would be nice to see some video of it in flight.

What material thickness did you use?
Apr 23, 2013, 10:42 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairykiwi
Hey Ernesto Fly - that looks really sweet!

It would be nice to see some video of it in flight.

What material thickness did you use?
I used same thickness except B1, B3,B4, F2, F3 (except one of them),F4, F5 which are 3mm
Apr 23, 2013, 10:44 AM
Registered User
This is the first flight, I will make more videos soon

Micro Cassutt first flight (1 min 14 sec)
Jun 01, 2013, 01:27 PM
Registered User
This build is annoying. After months of slowly working on this project in my spare time, I finally finished it today. After about 30 seconds in the air, the wing snapped in half, sending the plane into a horrific downward spiral. I now have some shreds of foam attached to muddy electronics and a broken prop. Somehow the carbon fiber snapped. Anyway, time to start again, this time with a better wing...
Jun 01, 2013, 08:57 PM
Flying Half Pound and Down
DaOldGuy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlasdairGeddes
This build is annoying. After months of slowly working on this project in my spare time, I finally finished it today. After about 30 seconds in the air, the wing snapped in half, sending the plane into a horrific downward spiral. I now have some shreds of foam attached to muddy electronics and a broken prop. Somehow the carbon fiber snapped. Anyway, time to start again, this time with a better wing...
Interesting... I cant say I have ever seen that happen before.
Dec 03, 2013, 07:16 AM
Registered User
Mewgun's Avatar
Hello, everyone!
Does anyone have any drawings of this aircraft with a wingspan of 800mm?
It is very necessary!
Dec 29, 2013, 06:16 PM
Registered User
Hello
Just building my Cassutt.



Is anyone interested in sawn 3mm and 5mm EPP RG20?
Much lighter and beautiful velvety surface.
regards
Jochen Causemann, Germany
Jan 12, 2014, 08:22 PM
Registered User
I really liked these plans when I first saw them last year, but are currently mainly interested in 3D planes. So when I needed to build a new FT3D, I decided to combine the two. Scaling up the Cassutt 145% gave me near identical fuselage proportions to the FT, so I did this:


It's made from $Tree foamboard and did need help with a heatgun and strategically placed support tape in order to bend it into shape.
Main problem was that it came out very nose heavy, once I had built a battery cage strong enough, so I had to remove it and are now building one under the wing.
Last weigh-in with all the bits except servos was 350grams, so I expect it to end up somewhere near 450 grams, which is still at least 200 grams lighter than my FT3D.
(Removing the paper from DTF saves a good ~20% alone.

Plan was to maiden it before painting it (still not sure how it'll fly), but the long term forecast is pretty bad,so I may paint it anyway.

Thanks for the plans..really enjoyed building this one and if it flies half-way decent, I will continue to develop this.
Jan 12, 2014, 10:28 PM
Flying Half Pound and Down
DaOldGuy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Implicit
I really liked these plans when I first saw them last year, but are currently mainly interested in 3D planes. So when I needed to build a new FT3D, I decided to combine the two. Scaling up the Cassutt 145% gave me near identical fuselage proportions to the FT, so I did this:


It's made from $Tree foamboard and did need help with a heatgun and strategically placed support tape in order to bend it into shape.
Main problem was that it came out very nose heavy, once I had built a battery cage strong enough, so I had to remove it and are now building one under the wing.
Last weigh-in with all the bits except servos was 350grams, so I expect it to end up somewhere near 450 grams, which is still at least 200 grams lighter than my FT3D.
(Removing the paper from DTF saves a good ~20% alone.

Plan was to maiden it before painting it (still not sure how it'll fly), but the long term forecast is pretty bad,so I may paint it anyway.

Thanks for the plans..really enjoyed building this one and if it flies half-way decent, I will continue to develop this.
I think a friend of mine had some input into the FT3D project, I know it was one of the FLite Test projects. I know the original cassy had a tendency to be a bit tail heavy if you were not careful, nose heavy is a much easier battle to win.

I am impressed you get the $tree Board to do some of the things on this build. Mine is built from EPP and it had some tough bends with the original smaller scale. I have wanted to build another EPP Cassy a bit scaled up, I could hardly see mine <getting old> so maybe one day when I am not already 12 projects behind.
Jan 13, 2014, 12:46 AM
skumgummi dave
Good looking model. Nice execution!

Dave-
Jan 13, 2014, 03:28 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy
I am impressed you get the $tree Board to do some of the things on this build. Mine is built from EPP and it had some tough bends with the original smaller scale.
Thanks, but the picture also flatter it a little bit. The top cowling ended more twisted than I would have liked and the wing mount was made up as I went along and shows it close up. It was hard to bend the DTF evenly and I had to fight it a fair bit to keep everything aligned. (And still had to cheat with filler-pieces).

I do have both 3 & 6mm depron that I haven't had a chance to use yet, but as I had never build anything like this, I figured I'd be better of just just DTF. Including glue and carbon bits, this thing has cost me maybe $10.

This thing will crash at some point. (It'll be my practice plane), so if it flies half-way decent, I will start to plan for an EPP version. (But with a balsa motor/front fuse structure).

Dave, with that name, you gotta be Danish, right?
Last edited by Implicit; Jan 13, 2014 at 03:43 AM.
Jan 26, 2014, 09:41 PM
Registered User
So, maiden last week. Takes of beautifully, but it's very clearly very tail heavy. I try to harrier it back down, but still manage to break the motor mount.
I re-check the CG and I don't know what I was thinking when I checked (multiple times) and decided to move the battery underneath the wing. I very clearly need to shove the battery all the way forward.
Easy repairs, though and I rebuild the battery mount/hatches.
So re-maiden today. Takes off nicely again, but it's hard to trim out (air was quite bumpy). Even on low rates, it's extremely sensitive in pitch and while my friend is commenting on how stable it looks, I'm having a hard time with it. I get a bit more comfortable, start wringing it out a bit, pull into a hard-ish turn and *whack* it screws itself into the ground, with foam bits flying everywhere.

Really bummed about this one. Loved the looks of it and was already modifying the 145% plans to make it easier to build, but I think I need to either lengthen the fuselage or move the wing forward. I also need to look at the wing design as it tip-stalled way too easily.
Feb 10, 2014, 01:29 AM
Registered User
Version 2 is now being built. As this is really a thread for the Mini Cassutt, I've put it in a blog first and if it turns out as intended, I'll make a full build log:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6#post27462628


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log “BigNasty” Full fuse, full wing. Free Plans and Build Guide. WaterDog Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 974 Feb 16, 2017 09:42 AM
Mini Majestic Free Plans awood12345 3D Flying 27 Jun 12, 2008 02:27 PM
“BigNasty” Full fuse, full wing. Free Plans and Build Guide. WaterDog 3D Flying 7 Jan 12, 2008 03:42 PM
No semi-scale EPP modern sailplanes? TheDudeVT Scale Sailplanes 16 Jul 01, 2005 10:47 PM
whair can I get free plans to build foam RC plane??? Aksel89 Parkflyers 4 Jul 09, 2004 04:07 AM