1/10 Semi-Scale EPP Mini Cassutt – Free Plans, Build Guide & Video - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 22, 2008, 08:28 AM
Build 2 Bounce!
Dek, I had a look at the Proxxon cutter before I ordered the Marvy one from the US. As you say, it's a really nice machine, but it is expensive. The beauty of the Marvy is that you can store it easily so it doesn't take up valuable bench space. I used a converter because I had one, i'd probably just have wired it to run it off a cheap laptop power supply otherwise.

Daddy-O, Glad to hear the links were helpful and that you're planning to build one. Once you've got the parts cut out you'll be suprised how quickly it goes together. Let us know how you get on .

Si.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2008, 08:58 AM
John 3:16
I ordered the epp from two different places. I have 3mm, 4mm, 6mm and 9mm epp coming. The purpose was to see if there is a difference in width and quality from the different vendors. I also wanted to see what kind of service I would get to help determine who I would buy from in the future. I'll try a different company the next time I order. BTW, I placed my order last night and rcskyflyer has already sent me a notice telling me the box is 'in the mail'. The 5mm was not available at either of the two places I bought from. I am planning on using either the 4mm or the 6mm in it's place. Who knows, one of them might actually be 5mm. Anyway, I have to wait for the foam to get over to me here in the Dominican Republic. I should get it here sometime around the first of next month.

I already have a hot wire foam cutter (not that it is needed), and will be sure to post pictures when I get started on the build. Thanks again.

Daddy-O
Apr 22, 2008, 10:46 AM
Si, bootyfull!

How did I miss this thread? Might try to make one this weekend.
Domo aregato gozaimas mon ami

Mike
Apr 22, 2008, 01:09 PM
Extraordinary !!
Apr 22, 2008, 03:18 PM
Build 2 Bounce!
Daddy-O, It sounds like you've got all bases covered . Let us know your thoughts on the EPP you recieve when it arrives, i'm sure others will be interested. I've heard very good reports about RCSkyflyer, good customer service and quick delivery.

Doitashimashite Mike
It's easy to miss new threads when you're subscribed to lots of others. I have the same problem. Knowing you, you could make one of these in an evening
Apr 22, 2008, 03:26 PM
Build 2 Bounce!

Maiden Video

Here's the video of the first flight of my Cassutt. It wasn't really the best weather conditions to trim it out, but I had to try.

1/10 Semi Scale EPP Mini Cassutt Maiden (3 min 20 sec)

The wind dropped slightly today, so I flew it again about an hour ago. It was still too windy really, but I swapped the 5030 prop for a 7035 to give me a bit more thrust and moved the CG forwards slightly. It coped much better with the wind and I got some new video today which i'll upload later.

Si.
Apr 22, 2008, 03:48 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
That looks a handful FT. All those low passes.....I thought anytime now.....
Apr 22, 2008, 04:07 PM
Nice work Si! I like it
Apr 22, 2008, 04:38 PM
John 3:16
During the video, I was wondering how you were going to land it. It looks like you found a good cushy spot for it. I'm sure that was the designated landing zone too! I, also, thought that it was going in once or twice. Nice saves!
Daddy-O
Apr 22, 2008, 06:54 PM
Build 2 Bounce!
Yes guys, the maiden was a bit scary. The wind was gusting so much I figured it was safest to do a downwind landing into the flowers .

Here's the video from earlier today :

Mini Cassutt - Second Outing (1 min 53 sec)

Better, but still too windy for rolling circles and flat spins. Using the 7" prop was cheating a bit, but gave me a bit more power to play with. It has an impressive roll rate considering how small the ailerons are. I'm tempted to build another one twice the size purely for parkflying.

BTW, I have crashed it several times now, but it's light and made of EPP, so it bounces well. I've not had to do any repairs yet
Apr 23, 2008, 02:51 AM
Inspired by the wings of an An

F3P UK racing

Si

Truly stunning, and a really nice build.

TBH I like the bigger 140% ones the guys were flying.

If we could get 5 or 6 of these togehtor it would amke a great demonstation slot at the F3P UK champuionship in December.

You, Me Dave,Ollie ..............

Andy
Apr 24, 2008, 05:55 AM
Flashmeister Aviation Inc
Great vid FT. Even it that wind it seems to handle fine. Cant wait to see it on a calm day.

Of course mine will be quicker than yours, Andy's or Ollies..if not, ill just cut the pylons
Apr 24, 2008, 08:31 AM
Crash & Burn
FT, very cool looking plane! But will it hover?
Apr 24, 2008, 12:23 PM
Inspired by the wings of an An
Throwing down the gauntlet,

Dangerous game that Dave....
Apr 24, 2008, 02:12 PM
Build 2 Bounce!
Cheers Andy, If we build a few then a demo at the UK championships in December could be fun . Maybe one of the big sponsors might like their brand name on the pylons

Bob, I tried hovering with the 7" prop but the wind was too much. Mine would be marginal anyway as it's only just over 1:1 power to weight ratio. A lot of the weight is below the thrust line too, with the battery mounted above the thrust line then I think a light build would hover pretty well. It'll never be a 3D machine, but for a mini pylon racer I think it'll take some beating.

Flash, look what you've started now Andy will be running one on 3S with a Hacker 9L!

Si.