1/10 Semi-Scale EPP Mini Cassutt – Free Plans, Build Guide & Video - Page 2 - RC Groups
Apr 21, 2008, 04:59 AM
Flashmeister Aviation Inc
Fantastic job as ever FT

This is a definate build for indoor pylon season

You've surpassed yourself on this one !!!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2008, 06:35 AM
Flying Half Pound and Down

Memories

That is totally amazing work FT!!! 30 years ago I worked at my home town airport, the senior charter member of the Experimental Aircraft Association had a Cassutt. Back then the Cassutt was the plane everyone wanted, you have replicated all the reasons why.

Ron
Apr 21, 2008, 07:05 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Superb as usual FT. Now we all know why you were practicing the "pylon turns" lol
Apr 21, 2008, 07:41 AM
Flashmeister Aviation Inc
Red Bull season has started ..he'll be watching telly and stealings Bonhommes technique
Apr 21, 2008, 09:38 AM
Build 2 Bounce!
Thanks guys, glad you like the model .

Dan, I have flown it once, but it was outdoors in less than ideal conditions (10mph+ winds). I have video of that flight which I will be uploading later today, but it doesn't show the model to its full potential. Toba designed the model so that it could be flown comfortably in a single basketball court. Originally there was a video of Toba's model flying indoors really well which made me want to build one myself. Unfortunately that video appears to have been removed from the site now .

To give you a taster of the model flying indoors, take a look at this video :

Cassutt1~3号機+nemessutt? 心の杜4/6飛行会 (4 min 0 sec)

The 3 flourescent Cassutts in the video are built from the same plans, but the plans were enlarged from A4 paper to A3 paper (141% larger than the original) and weigh approximately 150g each.

FutabaFreak, I'm afraid there is not a kit available at the moment, although I know that Toba has looked at getting some laser cut.

Flash, funny that you should mention Bonhomme... He flys the Grace Spitfire at airshows. The Cassutt actually did a display at the Red Bull Air Race in 2005 due to Paul Bonhomme pulling a few strings.

Si.
Apr 21, 2008, 02:10 PM
Glassman
Beautiful model.

With the EPP construction, it should survive even my landings

Looking forward to your flight reports

Terry
Apr 21, 2008, 02:27 PM
registered foam addict
Ingenious construction! what a cute looking little plane!
thanks for sharing!
-chara
Apr 21, 2008, 03:09 PM
Planes are cool ;)
Oh dude, you've done it again!

That is one sweet looking plane I really like the built up fuse and skinning technique, seems to handle compound curves pretty well.

Nice work Si
Apr 21, 2008, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by futabafreak
where can I buy 1 of these thats so cool!
Send Firetrappe $1,734.99 for the ARF version. RTF might be slightly more.

Sterling
Apr 21, 2008, 04:13 PM
John 3:16
So, where can I get some 3mm and 5mm epp? I would really like to build this plane! Thanks for the information and the plans! Looks absolutely great!
Daddy-O
Apr 21, 2008, 04:27 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
FT. where did you get your hot wire cutter from?
Apr 21, 2008, 05:08 PM
Build 2 Bounce!
Thanks again for all the kind comments

Daddy-O, I've just been having a look at the US websites, and it appears that 5mm EPP isn't so easy to find stateside. All the suppliers I checked sell 3mm, so that's not a problem. I'd order from one of the following suppliers and use 6mm instead of 5mm.

http://www.flyingfoam.com/foamsheet.html
http://rcskyflyer.com/
http://www.rcfoam.com/cart.php?targe...category_id=76
http://epp540.com/

From experience the thickness of EPP is never that accurate, the 3mm I used was actually more like 4mm. Just make sure you use #1.3 density and you won't have any problems.

Dek, I bought my foam cutter from http://www.craftsetc.com/store/item....cat=1&Search=Y . Unfortunately they aren't available in the UK. It cost £30 including shipping and took a couple of weeks to arrive. I wasn't very impressed with it at first, as it seemed to be cutting very slowly using the batteries that came with it. I decided to try running it off the mains using a 240-110 convertor I got from Maplins some time ago, and it really made a difference. The wire obviously wasn't getting up to temperature using the batteries (although they were cheap unbranded ones to be fair). It certainly made the build easy having nice 90º edges on all the parts.

HTH,
Si.
Apr 21, 2008, 05:21 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
FT. The only other Hot wire cutter I have seen is made by Proxxon....... but its about £70.

The quality looks first rate and you dont need a convertor... I wonder how much better it is than a knife...You could certainly buy a lot of blades
Apr 21, 2008, 05:51 PM
Ken's CAD Models
That is a great looking model. I love those little pylon racers. Thanks for bring this to us FT!

Ken
Latest blog entry: Ken's CAD Models new web site
Apr 21, 2008, 09:15 PM
John 3:16
Thank you for the links to the epp sites! I bought some, and will get to building as soon as I get it from the states. Thanks again!
Daddy-O