May 25, 2008, 06:54 PM
Here's a quick hijack of this thread but it least there's a Cassutt in the pictures I had a 5g motor I needed to use and the Cassutt inspired me to try another vintage pylon racer. This one is not going to be floaty even though it weighs 2 ozs ready to fly. It also will probably be a handful to fly without ailerons
Last edited by Bill Bergman; Jan 16, 2011 at 12:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 28, 2008, 05:05 AM
derJuf, graet looking plane you've built there, and flies fast! I was wondering how you separated the parts of the motor to do your rewind, I was clumsy enough to break the wires off mine and want to fix it but can't get it apart. I'm assuming it's glued and should be soaked in solvent? If so, would the girlfriend's nail varnish remover work, or do I need meths or whitespirits? Bill, love the shoestring, is that the Carl Goldberg one from parmodels.com? That's a good resource for free plans isn't it?
May 28, 2008, 07:10 AM
Thanks thewildweasel,
It's was a scratch build out of depron from Gramps pdf of the Goldberg Shoestring. I finally got a chance to maiden it last night. It flew level real well but as soon as you tried to turn, it dumped to the ground. Without ailerons it's just not flyable. I stripped it out and will try to find a small 3D plane to build.
May 28, 2008, 01:50 PM
Build 2 Bounce!
Thread OP
Bill, Sorry to hear the Shoestring didn't work out It looks really nice too.

I know that Kats had a few problems getting his Showstring and Yellow Jacket (pics below) to fly as nicely as the Cassutt. Some designs obviously don't scale down quite as well as others.

Si.
May 28, 2008, 02:03 PM
Wow !!! those look Great !
I think I'll just build a Mini Sumo or I3D, I know they should fly.
May 28, 2008, 03:41 PM
@ firetrappe:
a lot of very nice beauties ... i like them all !

@ Bill Bergman
WOW ! That shoestring speeks to me : build me...build me.. build me... can you hear it

@ thewildweasel
i hope the following pics can explain how i separated the stator from the holder:

Juergen
May 29, 2008, 03:54 AM
derJuf, thanks for the pictures, very helpful. Have to give that a go on the weekend when I've got some time free
May 29, 2008, 06:45 AM
Hi Si,

Thanks for uploading the pictures.

The while one (#7) is built by 'esu' (Mr. Suda).
The pink one (#3) is built by the members of Team Quadra for Ms. 'OSN', and decorated by her.

Kats.
May 29, 2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks for publishing the plans, its a fine looking model. I've had a soft spot for the Cassutt for years and this wil be my third one
Do you think it would work in Depron instead of EPP ? I've got a pile of 2, 3 and 6mm depron but no EPP

Regards

Terry
May 30, 2008, 03:34 AM
Terry, abandoned a depron one I was making out of 2, 3 and 6mm as it was way to heavy, and I'd left out a lot of the subframe and cut lightening holes wherever I could - the auw would have been about 130g. Waiting for some epp to arrive, hopefully today while I'm at work.
May 30, 2008, 04:36 AM
Thanks for the advice I will see about getting some EPP or dare I mention it in this company - make it out of balsa.

Regards

Terry
Jun 04, 2008, 02:00 PM
This plane goes together extremely fast and easily, I've spent maybe 4 hours on my EPP version, as well as cutting out the parts, and assembling some of them (the cowls and wheelpants, some of the subframe and making the spinner) to make denox's kit, and got the upper section finished. EPP is much lighter than I was expecting, just the wings made from 6mm depron weigh as much as the whole of what I've done so far. If the weather's ok I'll have this in the air on the weekend, can't wait to get it flying.
Jun 04, 2008, 11:03 PM
I knocked together one of these in depron today just to see if I could figure out how it went together and I must say that I love this plane! I've got the electronics on order now but may have to canabalize a couple of other planes to put this one up if I can't wait for the UPS man to arrive. I've been a huge fan of the cassutt for years and have the plans for the full sized version that I plan to one day build in the garage. However that is a bit in the future and this micro version is letting me get my fix while I wait for the time to build the real thing.

Great plans!!! Next step, 200%

Thanks for posting this

Jeremiah
Jun 07, 2008, 04:42 AM
Got mine finished, the wind's meant to die down later so I'll maiden it this afternoon. I'll post pics afterwards, but I've left mine mainly white to save weight, and painted the cowls and wheel pants fluo orange so's I can tell which way up it is, and which way it's pointing. This little plane looks a lot better in the flesh than it does in photos. Not sure how much it weighs, my scales only go up to 50g, but I reckon it's less than 110g, all that time spent building micro models hasn't been wasted... A couple of changes I made were to widen the wheel pants so I could use some lightweight foam wheels I already had, I added a brace for the landing skid, and I added a battery tray above the servos so I can move it around to play with the c of g, and I didn't like the finish of the laminated nose cone so I made mine out of blue foam. Nearly got denox's kit ready to post too. This plane builds really fast, I think I've spent about 10 hours getting mine built, whilst cutting 2 sets of every part as well.

Quick Reply