Jan 13, 2003, 12:53 PM
Thread OP

Sharpening knife blades

I ran out of blades for my hobby knife last night, and I had a knife sharpening stone nearby so I thought I'd give it a try. I very lightly dragged the blade backwards along the stone, once on each side. I was pleasantly surprised to find it seemed to work, and the blade cut a little better, though not as good as new.

I'm looking into picking up some #11 scalpel blades, which I've heard are much better, as well as being cheaper. In the meantime, however, I've decided to mess around with the used blades I have, and see what kind of results I can get with the stone. Has anyone else tried to resharpen these blades?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 13, 2003, 02:29 PM
Space Coast USA
Not since I started using the ebay scalpel blades
hoppy
Jan 13, 2003, 02:54 PM

Yep, fine Arkansas stone.....

keep the stone wet with oil, angle the blade at about 15 degrees, drag the blade toward you w/cutting edge facing away, then whet with a leather strop. Haven't bought new blades in a long time, but I still like to use single edged razor blades for covering materials. -thumbs
Jan 13, 2003, 03:33 PM

PP's "Sharpy"

I bought Peck-Polymer's "Sharpy" sharpening tool for about $4. It was a waste of $.
Jan 13, 2003, 07:53 PM
I just by #11's by the 100...pretty cheap, and I am lazy!
Jan 14, 2003, 02:17 AM
I sharpen # 11 and other scalpel baldes by using crocus paper. This is 1200 Wet & Dry emery paper, used by car-body workers for finishing. Put a piece on the work-bench, a few drops of oil on the crocus paper, then drag the blade over the paper BACKWARDS, that is, the cutting edge at the back of the movement, a couple of dozen times, alternating sides every stroke. The result is a blade with a very SLIGHT saw-tooth edge (indetectable) that will cut like a hot wire through butter. I buy a box of 100 too, trouble is, I bought the last one about 12 years ago, and it's still half-full!

Incidentally, I learned this technique from an old countryman in the mountains in Central France, who was teaching me to thatch the roof of an old farmhouse, many years ago. I have several Lagioule pocket knives and I can shave with them, using this trick. (After 9/11 I can't take them with me when I travel - I hate that, I'm lost without a knife in my pocket. Must be the country-boy heritage!)
Jan 14, 2003, 07:47 AM

Works Good

I use a tool makers stone (very fine). I can resharpen in less time that it takes to get out a new blade and change it. A coulpe of swirls on one side, a couple on the other and then a couple flipping each time. Found that the X-Acto brand are soft and do not hold edges well.
Jan 14, 2003, 08:53 AM
Well, I guess I leaned something here. I always thought that leading with the cutting edge was the correct way to go. Gotta try the opposite.
Anyone think that 'soft' X-acto blades can be carburize hardened with a flame ? or torch ? Or just not worth trying (most likely) ?
Jan 14, 2003, 10:52 AM
When I worked for a graphic arts company a lot of the art people used X-Acto knives and #11 blades. They used a tool made for sharpening the blades that had a ceramic stone in it. The would run it through once or twice and continue working. I don't know if they are still available but they purchased them from an art store. For the most part they thought pretty highly of them, I just replaced the blade with a new when I needed it.
Jan 14, 2003, 12:38 PM
Bulk-buy....been over 2-years and I still have some left in my 100-pack for $11).
Jan 15, 2003, 12:31 AM

EXCEL blades are made in USA

the name of the stone is Arkansas NOVACULITE and they do fantastic job with 3in1 oil
have sharpened since Cub Scouts and not found a better stone

any one remember the shaving strop in barber shops
it is cow back leather and oiled from time to time
drag the blade backwards from side to side on wide leather belt after honing on stone
this removes any chips from microscopic edge
best angle is near 20 degrees

Benjamin Franklin said " to discover if whom you are dealing with is wise just ask if he has a pocket knife; a yes or no answers many questions !"

I think the best stone cleaner is WD-40

for those curved blades a round file stroked away from the cutting edge will give a quick hone
then use pencil eraser and swipe in same direction
enjoy
allen
Jan 15, 2003, 02:45 AM

Re: EXCEL blades are made in USA

Benjamin Franklin said " to discover if whom you are dealing with is wise just ask if he has a pocket knife; a yes or no answers many questions !"

Airboss: the quote is interesting, but it leaves the questions unanswered! I invariably carry a pocket knife - in view of recent events, does this make me a "good'un" or a "bad'un", according to Franklin?
Jan 15, 2003, 10:24 AM
Thread OP
I'm sure Franklin considered it wise to carry one. I always heard you're supposed to sharpen knives by cutting into the stone as well, maybe exacto knives are different for some reason. I always wondered why barbers had that leather strap...since I don't have one, can I just drag it across a paper towel, or is there a better alternative?
I still plan to get a box of scalpel blades when I have the money, but it's interesting to see how long I can go by sharpening my own.
Nov 23, 2003, 10:41 PM
Toyota RAV4-EV !!

scalpel blade sizes

Hey guys, It's been awhile so I hope you see this. Do several different sizes of the scalpel blades fit snug in the Exacto handle? It looks like they might...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=31479

I go through a lot of reg Ex-blades and I've been wanting to try these for awhile.

Thanks, Mark
Nov 23, 2003, 10:49 PM
Mark,
I think those won't fit perfectly 'cause of the flared tang. But don't let that stop you.
What you should do is notice the shape. Those rounded ones are #22. Everyone seems to prefer the pointed ones which are #11 !!
-Mike

Quick Reply