Apr 19, 2008, 11:22 PM
wds
wds
Just fly
Question

Los Banos report?

For any of us us contemplating a trip to Los Banos tomorrow (Sunday 4/20), can anybody give a report on the event, wind conditions, etc...?

Thanks,

Bill
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2008, 11:55 PM
Slopeaholic
Friday started out really light and HOT. Aerotow was going for a good part of the day till around 3 or so when the wind finished a multi-hour 360 degree swing to end up on the main slope. It was a perfect 20 mph or so and we were flying into darkness.

It was wiiiindy today. Not a single aerotow went up. The main slope was rocking and rolling steadily from when I woke up to when I left. Last flight of the day was in measured 52 mph winds right down the pipe. There were quite a few pilots there. Most of the usual regulars with a few new faces thrown in. My tent had 3 of it's 8 carbon fiber poles shredded by the constant wind, and after a few other things started breaking I decided to pack up camp and head home.

Good luck if you head out there tomorrow, I hope it is as good as it was today.

-hutch
Apr 20, 2008, 02:07 AM
Sir Tim Rowledge
Sigh. I was supposed to be there but family illness complications prevented it. It was supposed to be my local club's Spring Fly as well today but it got SNOWED OFF! So hearing how hot it was at LB is just extra torture.

Still, I did fly a couple of times even with the snow :-) Vortex's land really oddly in 4" of snow. Sort like a submarine.....

Hope you're all having fun down there. Maybe next year?
Apr 20, 2008, 09:47 AM
SF Bay Slope Flyer
Here's some aerial video from yesterday using a FlyCamOne2-
Shot from a Bluearchangel SHK 4.5M in 30mph winds at Los Banos -
From the video it looks like I barely missed some RV's...
but the landing was right down the middle of the LZ.

Thanks to Sean Sharif for the perfect Launch
"That thing is a beast!"

Los Banos Scale Meet 2008 (3 min 4 sec)
Last edited by SlopeFlyer33; Apr 21, 2008 at 12:10 PM.
Apr 20, 2008, 09:39 PM
It's not going to build itself
Another great time guys! Thanks for all your hard work putting on this event, first rate as always. The wind you guys provided was off the hook too! Good to see you all again.
Tom
Apr 20, 2008, 10:18 PM
Geppetto
I was the last guy off the slope Saturday night. The lift was so strong I think I could have floated a cinder block out there. Max ballast was the order of the evening. My lead-sled was rocking! Beautiful half-pipes and barrel rolls on the up lines...what a rush!

Many thanks to Lynsell, Bruce, Brian and the rest of the SBSS guys that put on another great event. Already looking forward to next years event.

Geppetto
Apr 20, 2008, 10:25 PM
wds
wds
Just fly
Hutch,

Thanks for the report. Thatís just what I was looking for.
I think you Saturday guys got the best wind. I arrived late morning Sunday, and the slope was too light for most planes. After noon, some aero-tow was attempted, with a couple of guys getting good tows before both tugs had mechanical problems. Ouch. Everybody seemed to be packing up after that (around 2:00). See you next year.

SlopeFlyer33,

Thanks for the video. Nice landing.

Bill
Apr 21, 2008, 12:58 PM
auto-tune remix
Bruce- you need one of those little covers for the mike..that's some serious wind noise.

I'm really impressed with the clarity of the video from that camera system. That's the new hot setup for finding lost slopers.
Apr 21, 2008, 02:31 PM
Slopeaholic
I don't know if you could get rid of the wind noise on saturday...there was some serious wind action going on.

-hutch
who is definitely not complaining
Apr 21, 2008, 08:38 PM
If it was enough to get Mike to leave, you know it was extreme. Good to see you again Mike.
Tom
Apr 21, 2008, 10:57 PM
Slopeaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISME
If it was enough to get Mike to leave, you know it was extreme. Good to see you again Mike.
Tom
When you are trying to do things other than fly...like have a nice cold end of the day barley pop and you are watching your campsite disintegrate around you...and then you start thinking that you didn't bring close to enough beer to fall asleep that night...sometimes you just have to cut your losses and pack it in. I can say with great pride though... Last tent standing!!!

Great to see you again too Tom! Glad you got some of that wind all to yourself!

-hutch
Apr 21, 2008, 11:51 PM
A fun time not to be missed next year! Jonathon just posted some vid on Youtube. Search Alpertjon .