Jul 31, 2008, 11:59 AM
IAD
IAD
UAV Driver
And... I run right into another problem. I loaded the tunnel, to config. the GPS, and while I'm getting a stream of serial data off the download port, u-center can't seem to reprogram the GPS. ("... timeout occurred without receiving an answer. Retrying...!") For what it's worth, it also never gets a GPS lock, though that could be because I'm indoors?

Anyway, I'm running u-center in Windows, and connecting the to the GPS with a USB->serial cable which has worked flawlessly for programming the OEM data modem, so I don't think that's the problem.

Any thoughts?

~Luke
to remove ads between posts
Jul 31, 2008, 12:32 PM
David1
Thread OP
(edit) not needed.
Last edited by bmw330i; Dec 22, 2008 at 07:58 PM.
Jul 31, 2008, 01:45 PM
David1
Thread OP
(edit) not needed.
Last edited by bmw330i; Dec 22, 2008 at 07:59 PM.
Jul 31, 2008, 02:09 PM
IAD
IAD
UAV Driver
Oh, so sorry...

Yes, LEA-4P, from PPZUAV. u-center is connecting at 38400 baudrate. The connection indicator is blinking green.

The packet console is giving this:
??:??:?? UBX NAV-SOL, Size 60, 'Navigation Solution'
??:??:?? UBX NAV-POSUTM, Size 26, 'Position in Universal-Transverse-Mercator Grid'
??:??:?? UBX NAV-STATUS, Size 24, 'Navigation Status'
??:??:?? UBX NAV-VELNED, Size 44, 'Velocity in WGS 84'
??:??:?? UBX NAV-SVINFO, Size 208, 'Satellite Status and Information'
Over and over again. As a slight variation, if it manages to get a lock on a sat., it includes the time stamp.

If I go into the config. utility, it won't save any changes, even if I do the whole "cfg/cfg, Send" routine; the settings it displays are odd, the buadrate is supposedly 57600, with a 1hz. sample rate... Of course, it won't connect at 57600, which tells me something's wrong with the config. polling in u-center... It also won't write the settings to a file, it gives time-out errors, and leaves an empty file. (Duh.)

I've tried doing a coldstart, and giving it 5-10 minutes... So far, no luck there, either...

I've set the aircraft configuration file to have the GPS read at 38400 baud; if I flash a normal autopilot build, and put it outside with a clear view of the sky, it'll intermittently see a couple satellites, but never over 30-40 dbi. I've completely removed the autopilot from the airframe, just to make sure I wasn't detuning the GPS antenna. Of course, when it's outdoors, I have to run the 900 mHz data radio, which is pretty close to the GPS module..?

~Luke

Just my luck, two seconds after I posted this, I got a solid lock, indoors, using the tunnel... Still, I'm at a loss to understand why I can't change the settings..?
Jul 31, 2008, 02:18 PM
IAD
IAD
UAV Driver
The exact errors I get when I'm trying to write the settings to a file is:

"... timeout occurred without receiving an answer. Retrying...!
Polling: MON-VER - B5 62 0A 04 00 00 0E 34 ...
... failed due to timeout!
Polling: CFG-ANT - B5 62 06 13 00 00 19 51 ...
... timeout occurred without receiving an answer. Retrying...!
Polling: CFG-ANT - B5 62 06 13 00 00 19 51 ...
... failed due to timeout!" etc....

...ending with

"ATTENTION: There were errors/conflicts!
Please verfy."

For what it's worth, I'm using a 3-wire serial connection; just Tx, Rx, and Gnd. The 5V supply is from the supply on the Tiny. For the sake of it, I've changed the baudrate of the FTDI adapter to 38400, in Windows Device Manager... Didn't seem to do anything.

~Luke
Jul 31, 2008, 03:06 PM
IAD
IAD
UAV Driver
Well, the GPS is talking to the Tiny. Still can't config. anything, though. Uhg.

On a simplier note... Is anybody having trouble downloading Google Earth tiles? I did it a few months ago, but can't now. On my end, it looks like they renamed their servers, or something...

~Luke
Jul 31, 2008, 03:52 PM
I noticed the google server problem too. It stopped working yesterday I think.
Jul 31, 2008, 05:50 PM
IAD
IAD
UAV Driver
Just my luck.

~Luke
Jul 31, 2008, 10:06 PM
David1
Thread OP
Hey Luke,

Hmm...those ???? is not a good sign. I have seen a GPS act up before. Reset it. I think the settings somehow got out of whack. Seems the GPS lost it's time because the ????? is supposed to be a timesta

Try 1st to go to the CFG under Configuration View and select the reset to factory defaults then click "Send" ... packet console should show Acknowledged.

If not there is a way to do it over the GPS reset pin. This will set everything back to default including the baud rate to 9600 bps.

Download a new copy of the GPS file...extract it then try and re-load it. During the FILE >> GPS load/configuration ... Remember about 3/4 the way though the baud rate is changed so in u-center you have to change the baud rate and it then will complete the programming.

-BMW
Aug 01, 2008, 02:18 AM
Well i can also verify that Google tiles do not load anymore.
this is the message i get:
Quote:
Resolving kh1.google.com... failed: Name or service not known. --09:58:34-- http://kh1.google.com/kh?n=404&v=3&t=trt => `/home/chris/paparazzi3/./var/maps/trt.jpg' Resolving kh1.google.com... Broadcasting on network 127.255.255.255, port 2010 failed: Name or service not known.
I haven't used Google tiles for almost a month so i guess i am not banned.
So far i tested it with PCLinuxOS and UBUNTU 8.04 using a dial up connection with modem.
Later i will test it from home where i use a different isp and DSL.
It looks like either the site is down or something is blocking it because if someone is banned at least the server responds when you request a single tile like this:
http://kh1.google.com/kh?n=404&v=27&hl=en&t=tqsqt
Update:
It looks like online servers also can't find kh1.google.com so it might be down.
UPDATE #2
I managed to edit the gcs code and use the khm.google.com server instead
(needs to recompile from paparazzi source)
which works fine for now but i need to do more tests.

Chris
Last edited by hendrix; Aug 01, 2008 at 05:33 AM.
Aug 01, 2008, 07:16 AM
AntonK and David, i have also made a general flight plan and use the
NavSetGroundReferenceHere() and NavSetWaypointHere(WP_HOME)
functions to reset the coordinates.
In the simulation it looks like working but can someone tell me
what exactly the NavSetGroundReferenceHere() does?
It appears that it sets the coordinates in the beginning of the flight plan to the
GPS fix when it is called.
I have a hard time finding what the various functions do.
UPDATE:
I found the c code so i will go the hard way
Chris
Last edited by hendrix; Aug 01, 2008 at 01:06 PM.
Aug 01, 2008, 08:20 AM
IAD
IAD
UAV Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw330i
Hey Luke,
...those ???? is not a good sign....
-BMW
I got it working, first (newbie that I am) I was using the wrong serial port on the Tiny. It would allow me to view the GPS output, but not talk back to the module. Second, I updated the firmware, and then uploaded the configuration file. Everything seems to be working now..... Mostly. What sort of distance errors do you guys usually see? I'm at ~5m, if the plane is perfectly level, but up to ~15m, if the wings are tilted ~20 deg..?

However, a new problem... (This is getting embarrassing..! ) I can't seem to turn ADC 0, 1 and 2 on...? My IR sensor readings (from the Messages tool) show 512, 512, with no variation. (Even if I put my finger right over one of the sensors.) I've tested the sensors themselves, using a voltmeter, and their output varies around a neutral of ~1.5V. My hand produces a variation of about +/- 0.5-0.75V... I've copied the ADC and IR sections (including the makefile ADC reference) out of the attached aircraft config.. Seems to match the ADC IDs given for the Tiny 2.11, etc... I've even tried compiling that exact aircraft, and uploading it; same thing, no sensor movement.

~Luke
Aug 01, 2008, 11:16 AM
Hi.
I can't see something strange but first check the connections from the ir sensors to the tiny 2.11 board with a continuity meter.
You should use the IRV AND IRH picoblade sockets and not the ADC1 etc
marked sockets (just in case).
Chris
Aug 01, 2008, 03:20 PM
The google maps fix was added to the cvs
Aug 01, 2008, 03:34 PM
Hi Danstah.
That was fast!
Chris

Quick Reply