Yards Creek Soaring - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 16, 2008, 03:55 PM
Engineer for Christ
Yippee!

Yards Creek Soaring

Yesterday a friend of min offered to take me soaring. So I took off early and headed for the Blairstown airport at 2:00. After a quick inspection and feeling of the controls, we got a tow and were off.

We released at 2300 feet. From there we dropped to 1300 looking for a thermal (which took a good 7-8 minutes). When we found one, we went from 1300 to 6000 feet in under three minutes! From there I was allowed to fly the plane I flew it for a total of about 20 minutes catching updrafts and thermals, very cool

Unfortunately I got motion sick after an hour and we had to land. It was definitely a unique experience.

Some things you might find counter intuitive about soaring:

1. The ride is anything but gentle. The plane gets tossed around like a rag doll. After all, the plane's construction is so light even Jack would be envious.
2. The scariest part is when you're 5 feet up in the tow and you realize you have no motor.
3. The cockpit is noisy as heck from the wind rushing by.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 16, 2008, 04:21 PM
one game away...
Very cool. I'd like to do it before I die. Do you have more pictures?
Apr 16, 2008, 06:01 PM
Axis Aircraft Baby!
Awesome pics!

You would think it would be more quiet in a glider. Would love to try that someday.
Apr 16, 2008, 10:04 PM
Remember the 131st TFW MO ANG
Dude... that is freakin' awesome!
Apr 16, 2008, 11:46 PM
Lazy dog
Very neat, I'd like to try it someday as well.
Apr 17, 2008, 10:10 AM
Suspended Account
I got a chance to go up in a glider in my younger years. I think I was 14 or 15 at the time. The thing I remember most was how loud the "ping" sound was when we released the cable from the tow plane.
Apr 17, 2008, 09:05 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Amazing, I am envious of you.

Jim
Apr 17, 2008, 09:15 PM
Congrat's on your ride. Back in my day of flying "Full Scale" I always carried Salt Free Tums for use on those "Bumpy" days (wouldn't do for the pilot to get airsick).

Carefull Alex, once you get bit by the flying bug, your bank account drains automatically.
Apr 18, 2008, 06:50 AM
Engineer for Christ
I'm already looking at some ultra-light airplanes. The problem is, I don't have anywhere to put one Maybe I'll get one when I grow up

For now, I'll have to be satisfied with RC planes and my motorcycle collection. I'll have to be satisfied only going soaring when I'm in New Jersey. I'll have to find some of those Salt Free Tums and Dramamine. I'm considering getting my pilots certification now....
Apr 18, 2008, 04:57 PM
If you do go after your Private Pilot's ticket, try these guys:

http://www.airsportsaviation.com/index.shtml

Tony Hurst was my instructor. Outstanding instruction from him. Ex Airforce, flew A-26's in Nam. You'll get your money's worth for sure.

Quick Reply