Jan 12, 2003, 09:27 PM
Thread OP

Would this design count as a low wing plane?

Would this design count as a low wing plane? Just curious.

It is a knockoff of the q-butterfly, but I used frog-like building techniques and no knowledge of the true bird other than the info on the sale page. I also have the prop way up compared to theirs so that I could clear the ground without the gear.

http://goldscallop.com/viewitem.asp?idproduct=290
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2003, 01:09 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”

fdisk

...shoulder wing with a high thrust line.....
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jan 14, 2003, 01:18 PM
AMA 697691 / FAA 13675
That's different!

Since the prop is above the wing, be sure to have a little upthrust.
Jan 14, 2003, 01:30 PM
Thread OP
Yes, thanks *again* Greg for that great advice.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...threadid=58419
Jan 15, 2003, 10:13 PM
Thread OP
I was going to dismantle this plane as a successful test completed so I could move on, but Greg had it right--it was different and I like that. It wasn't different enough, however, since it was originally just a mutant q-butterfly. I kept thinking I could make it even more distinct.

I never named the first version. I kept referring to it as "something." So, when I came up with the snub nose with full fuse idea I needed a (new) name. Naturally it became the "something else."

The something else flew pretty well, for the first 15 seconds. Then the DXA and brand new 9x6 apc prop seperated itself from the plane at full throttle and dissapeared in a yard full of 15" snow. That had never happened to me before. The plane suddenly went goofy, then the motor took off like a shot and it went silent. Very bizarre. I'll never see that drivetrain again :-( I even had a pin through a hole into the stick. It must have worked loose somehow.

So I went back in the house dejected as that was my last DXA and only 9x6 and there isn't a LHS in this state and I'm broke to boot. After a bit of sulking I strapped on the IPS100-S1 that has never worked for me and put on an 8x6 apc. Since I was ticked and it was dark now, I strapped on some LEDs so I could either try it or kill it and satisfy my addiction.

It was a little heavy at 9.8+ oz, but it did fly and was controllable even in the dark and in the span of about 40'x40'. I still can't believe it balances so easily and even needs the battery back on top of the CG line. I can't wait till I can get some more time in on it and try some other motors. I still need to figure out if it needs any more tweaks.
Jan 16, 2003, 09:20 AM
Fanfold abuser

Pushers forever

Add the projectile motor to the many reasons not to lead with the prop. If only balance wer not so difficlut, I am not sure I would ever go to a tractor configurationi again. How about moving the battery forward and have the motor at the CG? Cut a slot for the prop. It would be noisy, but the motor would not eject easlily.

I do like the wing configuration. I have been toying with the idea of ailerons on a polyhedral wing. I thought it would not work well, but yours has. I think the next attempt at a Tadpole will have a single aileron on a polyhedral wing.
Jan 16, 2003, 09:43 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”

just a thought

why don't horses push wagons??????what about front wheel drive cars...???? why aren't ailerons on the front of the wing???
Last edited by gpw; Jan 16, 2003 at 09:47 AM.
Jan 16, 2003, 09:48 AM
Thread OP
Actually, this one is split-elevator and rudder.

I tried ailerons on a extra300 with added frog poly once. It could turn, but there was definate yaw. The big problem is that they didn't seem as effective in a stall as R/E. I'm stalled more than not in the backyard so propwash turning is a must.

I have never done a mid-wing motor. I thought about it quite a bit, but the designs never worked in my head. This one might because of the lower fuse, but then again I have really taken a liking to the look of it. It is sorta like a mid-wing lazy-bee/gee-bee mutant.
Jan 16, 2003, 09:58 AM
Thread OP
I think there have been horse pushed carts and front aileron wings. Was that your point? People use what works best for a given situation ...

I like my cars 4 wheel drive.

On the extra300 poly I also tried mixing rudder in with the ailerons and that improved things. I really only trashed it because it didn't fly well in the first place (of course it could have been my skills ).
Jan 17, 2003, 08:46 PM
Thread OP
If I can be sure I have the motor stuck on good enough, I don't think I will need this design to be a pusher. As long as the CG is close, it seems pretty stable and dosile so I won't go ramming it into the ground.

As an example, I just flew it successfully under some pretty bad conditions. It was 8:15 PM EST in a very dark yard. Navigation was aided by two ultrabright blue led's at the wingtips (radioshack's best). I was using my least favorite motor, the GWS EDP100/S1 and a 10/4.7 prop. To deal with the 3+amp draw I used my 3oz laptop lion's putting the beast at 11oz even. I ran it within a 40' perimeter and did some 10' tight laps just to see if it would stay in the air. It did exceptionally well, althogh you could tell it was heavy. I was only out for 5 minutes, but that was mostly because it was -2F out. At the end of the test I did an underhand launch just by holding the top of the fuse in the middle, running full throttle and then lightly bowling it out. It just took right off. I really miss my DXA though. This plane was great with it.

I really want to redo the whole fuse as a neat 1 piece, extend the wing back another 2", tweak the nose so the motor is mounted 3/4 of the way up and then paint it like a geebee, but then I would have to rip up this one and I hate ripping them up while they are still flying well! Talking about it is the next best thing.
Jan 18, 2003, 04:52 PM
Thread OP
I couldn't wait to try out the look so I bashed the prop location on the existing one, added a profile cockpit and gave myself a sharpie high.

I didn't extend the wing. It turned out to be a good thing because the thrust line diference from moving the motor down 1.75" appears to be more than 5 degrees and changing the wing at the same time would have messed me up more. I still haven't got it right.

Anyhow, here is the look.
Jan 18, 2003, 04:54 PM
Thread OP
And the cross view ...
Jan 18, 2003, 04:58 PM
Thread OP
My daughter has been calling it the ocean plane. I still like "something else." I did a quasi geebee scheme in dark blue to go well with the light blue and to avoid the weight penalty of paint/covering.
Feb 02, 2003, 07:32 PM
Thread OP
Still flying this design. I cut off the trailing tips because of the drag they were putting on it. It flies better, but I wish I could make the elevator more sexxy.

It flies good with the dual dx2 and hippobat style lions. If pigs could fly, I suspect it would look like this plane.

Quick Reply