Apr 14, 2008, 05:02 PM
Heli Steve
Discussion

How can I modify a brushless esc to be controlled with a potentiometer?

Hi, I have some applications that could make good use of these small brushless motors in some of my projects but the problem is: how can I modify the esc to be controlled with a potentiometer? I am into the helicopter scene and have a strong background in electric motors and a fairly good background in electronics and electronic control systems. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2008, 05:30 PM
Don't know if this will help but I think there is still a device on the rc market
that will allow you to plug the controller into a small circuit board and control the
ESC with the potentiometer on that board. It was marketed as a way to control
servos, for example, when setting up a plane without having to use a radio. I still
have one that I bought years ago but I've never tried it with an ESC. I think I got
it from Ace hobby but I'm not sure since there are no markings on the board.
Apr 14, 2008, 06:40 PM
Heli Steve
Thanks for the input, I found another thread that has the instructions on how to make your own with a 555 timer module Thanks again!
Apr 14, 2008, 08:36 PM
Planes from 1oz to 55lb's
Very easy, buy a servo tester... Some cost as little as 5-6 dollars.
Apr 15, 2008, 06:20 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
Nother servo-tester diagram:
www.drivecalc.de
-> Servo Driver eliminating the need for a receiver during motor measurement (link almost at bottom of page)

Vriendelijke groeten Ron van Sommeren
int. electric fly-in, Nijmegen, the Netherlands
brushless motor building tips & tricks
diy brushless motor discussion group
Drive Calculator download & discussion group
Apr 15, 2008, 06:19 PM
Heli Steve
Thanks guys I really appreciate the info, I cant wait for the brushless era to hit the power tool market!!! Think of the possibilities!!