Apr 14, 2008, 02:14 AM
G's Please
Thread OP
Discussion

Cappuccino quality

At first sight we were impressed when we opened the box that contained our new $1,000+ Cappuccino 2.6M Extreme 3X Carbon. Unfortunately it didn't take long to see some things that didn't impress. Perhaps I'm just too much of a perfectionist, but I didn't expect hangar rash, chips, and divots. I'll include some photos so I can get a second oppinion on if our standards are too high.

While not pictured here, perhaps worst of all is that one of the holes for the leading edge wing pins was drilled twice such that the hole is almost twice as wide as it needs to be to fit the pin.

-Brett
Last edited by 8KCABrett; May 15, 2008 at 10:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2008, 03:43 AM
speedfreek
Your standards are not too high at all.

I would be very annoyed if I paid $1000 for that quality finish!

European models usually have a much higher quality finish than that.

Waz
Apr 14, 2008, 09:44 AM
RC LIFER
Honestly, that looks about par for the course with Valenta models. All the models I've owned by Valenta were about the same as your Cap.

Considering most 2.6M carbon ships are usually $500 or even more than the Cap, it's a good deal IMO.

Aside from the similar finish and blems, my Valenta models flew well and were strong and worth owning.
Apr 14, 2008, 10:19 AM
No longer random
Have you raised this issue with the seller? Seems like a return to me.
Apr 14, 2008, 11:47 AM
G's Please
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle
Have you raised this issue with the seller? Seems like a return to me.
Not yet, this aircraft was needed for a project that is on a deadline so waiting on a second shipment isnít a great option for us. Though for subsequent purchases it would be good to know what to look out for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike the Snake
Honestly, that looks about par for the course with Valenta models. All the models I've owned by Valenta were about the same as your Cap.

Considering most 2.6M carbon ships are usually $500 or even more than the Cap, it's a good deal IMO.

Aside from the similar finish and blems, my Valenta models flew well and were strong and worth owning.
Thatís good to know info! While $1,000 is more than Iíve ever spent on a personal R/C airplane, I guess itís all relative to the competition, and flying quality is certainly more important than being pretty.

Some of these issues, particularly a wing pin that floats in its recess, seem like they could be an issue in the intended application, but arenít anything we canít fix ourselves.
We will be needing a few more aircraft though, and this was a little disheartening, so we will probably look elsewhere for them (as in other designs, Iím not blaming the reseller)
Apr 14, 2008, 01:16 PM
Detail Freak
I don't think this is "normal" for Valenta models; my brother's capp had I think one minor paint blem on the wing. It was fine other than that....

Looks like they may have been in a rush painting/prepping the molds, and/or getting the part out of the molds.

Good luck in the build, the Capp is a great flying plane; I wish my brother flew his more often.

Target

PS. I really like the battery that I fitted to my brother's plane, the GP2200 4/5 Sub C cells are the bomb. A 5 cell pack would likely reduce any nose weight to nothing.
Apr 15, 2008, 05:20 AM
I'd be well annoyed if I'd spent $1000 and saw quality like that. $1000 is a lot of money and you should expect near perfect quality. The leading edge locating pin size could result in a dangerous model during 'Extreme' flying conditions and I don't see why you should be expected to sort it out yourself. I'd be straight back to the seller for either a replacement, your money back or some form of price reduction to compensate for your disappointment.
Apr 15, 2008, 08:54 AM
You are expecting too much, IMO.

$1000 is a deal for 2.5 meter triple carbon ship from Europe. The Aeromod stuff is priced similarly and the finish is called worse. Yet people still line up to buy them.

A "pristine" ship like the 2.5 meter Wizard Compact BPV double carbon is over $1600 in the States.

I am curious what else you are considering at that price point becasue there is not a whole lot out there.

/Adam
Apr 15, 2008, 02:33 PM
No longer random
Maybe it's just me, or the photos, but a lot of that stuff looks like shipping damage and not like manufacturing defects.
Apr 15, 2008, 03:23 PM
G's Please
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle
Maybe it's just me, or the photos, but a lot of that stuff looks like shipping damage and not like manufacturing defects.
The wingtip damage has that look to it, but the box was un-damaged and the contents were packed well enough. Now if it was a display aircraft or something, that's another possibility.

I've already repaired the things that were structural worries, and will tolerate the cosmetic stuff. The build is just about done, and I look forward to seeing how it flys!
Apr 16, 2008, 09:51 AM
4 wheels move a body; 2 a soul
Sorry to see your new plane have issues you are not happy/w. Im sure if you werent on a deadline if you bought it from the dealer I bought my Valenta plane from he would make it right. My ESO Pro is pretty nice. Not the best Ive owned but considering the performance/price its more than good. BTW, if you are interested, if the ESO survives the ISR I will be putting it up for sale as I bought it just for that event, comes with all 761s and a big 1" x 18" ballast tube in place of stock tube. Good luck with your plane, Ive heard they fly nice.
Walter
Apr 16, 2008, 10:35 AM

ESO or is it ESP?

Walter at Davenport...Right on dude...we will finally meet..
As for what survives....heck they are just temporary servo containers....
How about the VRQ at Grass....aswsome place to vivit and fly...grab a handful of gear and get on down here...

ALan
Apr 16, 2008, 11:18 AM
G's Please
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by glderguy
Sorry to see your new plane have issues you are not happy/w. Im sure if you werent on a deadline if you bought it from the dealer I bought my Valenta plane from he would make it right. My ESO Pro is pretty nice. Not the best Ive owned but considering the performance/price its more than good. BTW, if you are interested, if the ESO survives the ISR I will be putting it up for sale as I bought it just for that event, comes with all 761s and a big 1" x 18" ballast tube in place of stock tube. Good luck with your plane, Ive heard they fly nice.
Walter

Hi Walter, from what I hear, you are probably right about the dealer, and if I bought this for myself, or not on such a deadline, that's what I'd be counting on. When it comes time to place the next orders, perhaps we will see if they feel some credit on the new purchases is in order.

As far as your ESO, if you are selling it all up, and depending on cost, I think it's 99% that we'd want it. We need more flying time, and less building/setup at this point. I'd been hoping to pick up completed aircraft at my local club, but the conditions have been such that the field is empty for the few days I've been back in Davis. The project is going on more in your area, so a local pickup would be easy. Please let me know what you decide, when the time comes.

When would you expect to be selling it - if you end up going that route?

Many thanks,

-Brett
Last edited by 8KCABrett; Apr 16, 2008 at 11:39 AM.
Apr 16, 2008, 08:45 PM
4 wheels move a body; 2 a soul
Id probably be selling it the end of May Brett. Unless of course it gets destroyed or I end up getting really attached to it......you know how that goes sometimes! I maidened it out at Davenport today, I gotta say I was pretty impressed w/it....the plane goes pretty darn good, very smooth and easy to fly as well. Are you going to Davenport this year Alan??? If so we will see you there! It was awesome out there today, really enjoy flying there.
Walter
Jun 05, 2008, 03:49 AM
Volare!
Since you're on the subject of Cappuccinos, does anybody know what the C/G is supposed to be on these birds?

Please post here or PM me.

Thanks!
- Matt

Quick Reply