This thread is privately moderated by Straight Up, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 12, 2008, 08:24 PM
Vertical Unlimited
Thread OP
Discussion

Flying in Mississauga, Canada

I left Saudi Arabia late last year, right on the back of a burning hot summer. I found myself in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, with a whole lot more access and freedom obtaining model aircraft gear, but a winter that was the diametric opposite of Saudi! Suddenly I would be concerned with overcooling, rather than overheating !

I sold all my gear in Saudi, an initiative encouraged by the Saudi club due to import restrictions. Time to renew the fleet! First requirement was a new T-Rex 450 - I got the new V2. It never ceases to amaze me how convenient choppers are to fly. All you need is enough room to take-off (about 4sq.ft) and some clear airspace, and you can fly. With Mississauga immersed in snow and ice, the fixed wings would have to wait.

I flew the T-Rex out of a local park, in surroundings like I'd only seen in movies. What an incredibly beautiful place. However, the snow was deceptive, and I discovered the HARD way that hard ice lay beneath. While walking out into the park, Tx in one hand and T-Rex in the other, I slipped flat onto my back, winding myself. All I could think was "what's happened to my gear!!!!?!?!?!?!?"

My wife (the photographer) was repeatedly asking me if I was okay, and all I could get out was a muffled and grimacing "how's.... my.... chopper...???...???"

Luckily I'd launched the chopper along the ground on its skids just as I fell back, and my Tx was safely on my tummy. A painful start to the session, but at least there was no need for repairs in the workshop!

I've since flown several times in the snow, and it's truly bizarre. The craft often beds into the snow during spool-up. The electronics never overheat. I've even found the snow to be a good padding when the tail-servo siezed, causing a hard emergency landing!

Thankfully we've now come out the other side of winter. The snow finally melted, and I've learned that grass exists in Mississauga. I built a Passer-X warm-liner from RVM shop, and on its maiden flight I experienced thermals with more power than I've ever known. It's a beautiful plane - very sleek, with a large speed range, and an incredible thermal performance. I really enjoy its vertical climbs.

I'm really enjoying my new home. I've also built an Extreme-Flight Vanquish that's waiting for a new motor after I burned the first one during testing , and an E-Flite Tensor - my first Shocky. The Tensor can fly amazingly slowly. I'm currently building an RVM Speedo slope-soarer (another first), and finally received my HET F20 EDF after Saudi Customs originally blocked its entry. Canada's great for building and flying!
Last edited by Straight Up; Apr 12, 2008 at 08:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2009, 04:47 PM
Do you know of any good large spaces to fly in Mississauga/Oakville area?
May 09, 2009, 08:44 PM
Vertical Unlimited
Thread OP
Romandesign,
There's an excellent field on the corner of 9th Line and Eglinton Avenue - check out my latest blog entry for pics. What sort of planes are you flying?
May 29, 2009, 08:44 PM
I currently fly at a park just south of the QEW and Burloak Dr.

Got a Pulsar 3200, Trex 450, and a new Outrage G5 that I fly there. Great place, but in the evenings they play soccer there, but during the day its mostly deserted

43°23'19.53"N
79°45'0.34"W

Quick Reply