This thread is privately moderated by Graham Stabler, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 11, 2003, 08:02 PM
Sticky Shepherd
Thread OP
Data

Micro Thread Index (the best place to start)

This is an experiment, a thread of threads. You post what threads in indoor and micros you think contain info so useful that they shouldn't be forgotten/lost.

I'll decide if you're right ( ) and add them to this message at the top of the thread and try to group them etc, this will keep this thread super short and easy to reference.

Graham

WATT WORKS

show off those ar6400 planes!

Post your models for the Kyosho/Parkzone RX here

WORKING PAGER MODELS

WORKING MICRO BL POWERED MODELS

GENERAL
Picture Posting Guidlines

NEWBIES:

Look here for info on simple micro models

SUPER STICKIES

MICRO RC SUPPLIERS

MICRO RC VENDORS (vendors of radios, motors, kits, equipment, etc for Micro RC)

Micro RC Publication/Personal/Club Web Sites

Indoor Flying Sites

Plane Thread Index

GOOD THREADS:

Plans

17.5-inch Chilton DW1 by Graham Smith. This thread has downloadable pdf files with construction details and templates. The plane is built from paper and foam but could be adapted to all foam, tissue covered foam, etc.

Come and get it - MicroMoth plan!!

MicroPitts plans are here

Profile Guided Mite plan

My new chariot car powered Bit Bipe

Quick Junior plan and construction article in the December 2003 Inside Story. The QJ is a nice stick plane for pager motor power and actuator control with a typical weight of between 15 and 18 grams.

Sources of 3-Views thread. Sources of 3-views since these are where many micro semi-scale models start.

RC Car Conversions

Long thread with much discussions on bitcharger car conversions
Bitcharger conversion

Bitcharger stickies, threads created to show conclusions:

1. Working Bitchargers

2. Bitcharger TX mods

3. Bitcharger receiver mods

Another good thread with a good link
Bitchar-G / Bitcharger Secretes Revealed!

A mod for adding a stick
Converting Bit Charge tx to stick type rudder control

Some more working bitcharger projects
Succesful "Bit" plane

Tadpole

Bit ESC (BitSC) A speed controller for Bit models

Wattage Micro Flyer

Wattage Micro Flyer Mods: A summary thread for modifications people have made to this RTF micro flyer.

Other

Micro 3D a thread with discussion and examples of Micro 3D planes.
Last edited by Graham Stabler; Feb 07, 2011 at 03:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2003, 08:14 AM
Sticky Shepherd
Thread OP

Inside Story Index

January 2003

Actuator basics and Magnetic battery attachment.

February 2003

Motor constants, Lightening servos/receivers, Driving actuators, cheap wattmeter, Prop prototyping in the microwave, Low voltage indicators for LiPoly.

April 2003

Actuator torque, Printing on to balsa, Modifying plastic props, hot wire foam cutting

June 2003.

Molding carbon fiber props, Applying tissue covering to foam, Simple and Light Rigging Method for "scaleish" models, Travels with my camera (pictures of models).

December 2003

Quick junior pager powered model plan, trimming small models, actuator tips, litz wire making, homemade tweezers

March 2004

Pocket guide to pager motors, Plan feature: Bump a simple foam model for bit car or other micro RC, The Etec90 cell
Last edited by Graham Stabler; Apr 27, 2004 at 06:39 PM.
Jan 22, 2004, 04:55 PM
Sticky Shepherd
Thread OP

Development/technical

Brushless

Brushless motors in the mg range? Extremely small single phase motors.

Working Micro Brushless Outrunner Motors. This thread is a nice place to see what micro, sub 10g, outrunner brushless motors people have been building.

Micro BL Test Results

Uttam's Mightly Midget 3.5g and 5.5g Brushless Outrunners

2.25g Micro Outrunner and related small motors.

home made brushless

Micro Outrunner Brushless Motor Experiments

Small LRK outrunner

7.5mm brushless motor

Gary Jones' 7.7g Brushless Disk Motor in a 46g Micro 3D plane

Brushless motors in the mg range?

DIY radio and infrared

DIY Infra-red

DIY IR LRFers

Diy Am Tx/rx

Misc

Plantraco Throttle Stick Fix. Matt Keennon and Chuck Haverlah's method to remove the spring loaded centering on the Plantraco 900mhz throttle stick.

RFFS on two cells

DIY simple lipoly charger

My Little CNC mill

.1g muscle wire actuator

Ultra Light 3 Gram!!! Servos. You can do it!

MAV (Micro Air Vehicle) Threads

MAV Resources and Links

MAV Discussion

Working MAV's
Last edited by Graham Stabler; Jan 25, 2011 at 07:24 PM.
Jan 26, 2004, 05:57 AM
Sticky Shepherd
Thread OP

Data & Measurement

Motor Constants for Micro Motors. Max efficiency and max power rpm obtained using Jochen Bergmeyer's technique for determining motor constants. Covers N20 sized motors and below.

DC5-2.4 and Firefly Coreless Motors

7mm Pager Motors from Super Slicks RC cars.

Blade Runner N20 motor tests. The Blade runner N20 is a high cogging motor with lower resistance than a standard N20-LV and stronger magnets.

Thrust Stands for Micro Motors

135mAh Lithium Polymer Cell Tests

Bruce Abbott's GWS Prop Thrust Calculator
Originally posted in this post
Bruce wrote:
Quote:
Included in the attached zip archive is an Excel spreadsheet with all my measurements for GWS props, and a thrust calculator. To calculate thrust at another rpm, enter your rpm along with the prop's diameter, pitch, and tconst from the measurements section.

If you have a prop that is not listed, you can try guessing its tconst by comparing to a similar prop that I have tested. In general, slowfly props have higher tconst than hyperdrive, and a higher pitch/diameter ratio also increases pconst (up to a point, then it decreases as the prop stalls).

Note that my tconst is NOT the same as Motocalc's tconst (which is calculated from power, not rpm!).
Download the zipped spreadsheet file below and use.
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Sep 23, 2005 at 07:47 AM.
May 18, 2018, 02:45 AM
Wotcher Graham..... there appears to be a shortage of the micro AR6400 brick and similar demise for the WLtoys micro boards and "stuff"....(OK, the 949 is still available but not a tranny) I have been having massive fun flying indoors with my slow flying EPP Galaxy C-17 from Banggood. Yes, they can and do fly slowly and do touch and go's and ground taxiing is good fun plus rise of ground even better. I have found that differential steering is a lot of fun and very cheap.
Is there a thread already on differential steering scratchy's ?
May 18, 2018, 07:20 AM
Sticky Shepherd
Thread OP
No idea to be honest, best to search or post to the forum to ask.

Graham
Oct 15, 2018, 09:23 AM
hdowding

Differential-thrust micros

Quote:
Is there a thread already on differential steering scratchy's ?
If you're still looking, here's one:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-channel-twins

I have another model to add. Will do so soon.
Feb 07, 2019, 02:47 PM

Guillows rc conversion

Hey guys. I'm trying to convert a guillows piper cherokee 140. I have always use the brushed motors from parkzone and the tactic servo board but the cherokee is too heavy for brushed power. What electronics should I use for brushless power. Thanks in advance
Jun 03, 2020, 05:45 PM
Hals und Beinbruch !!!!
the inside story links do not seem to load. Looking for info on 4mm brushed motors.
Feb 10, 2021, 09:45 PM
aka crossup

Actuator coil calculators

I cant seem to find these posted here so I thought I'd post up them up for future(and those returning to the fold)actuator makers

jeffs555 CoilCalc https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0&d=1036973941

Gerhards Copper2.XLS https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hmentid=211214

Here is a magnet wire resistance table that goes to 55 awg
https://mwswire.com/wp-content/uploa...-Wire-Data.pdf
Last edited by Mr.Mayhem; Feb 10, 2021 at 11:35 PM.
May 12, 2021, 04:12 PM
flyin' fool
Lots of goodie for scratch building to be found here ...................

https://www.minimumrc.com/
Aug 08, 2023, 05:54 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Question please . I fly mostly 65” and an above warbirds, so I am experienced at building /flying no issues.
I started like most back in the day with building Gulliows.
My biggest challenge with small RC is finding everything in one place, components that go together.
Example , I love the small UMX timber but would love the same type of complete power system for my planned Gulliows conversions.
I think Horizon sells the package deals but the internal parts puts the project close to $125.
Do any complete packages exist -esc, motors + 4 servos all connections at a budget price lol ?

Looking at jumping in with the 24” size and then the warbirds around 36” size ( like TimMcKay )
Aug 14, 2023, 03:29 PM
For Sale-everything over 250 g
Ldm,
Try https://www.buzzardmodels.com/
They have package deals that look economical. I have no experience with him but he does post here and seems to have good stock.
Latest blog entry: Bricks!

Quick Reply