Apr 09, 2008, 12:26 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Profile F-4 phantom

Here's the latest, I've been saving one of my favorites for last. A profile pusher F-4H-1 phantom, I like the earlier version with the smaller nose, and plan on leaving it in the white with the bright red used in the sageburner.

Another simple one, center fuse, two doublers to give the intake shape, and wing/full flying tail. I'm using a lsspj on this one from out of my BAC lighting.

This is it taped together, did the drawing and cutting out tonight, more tomorrow.

27" wingspan, 39" length.

Plans are at:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...4&d=1390510147
Frank
Last edited by burkefj; Feb 27, 2015 at 07:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 09, 2008, 04:39 AM
Frank another nice one.
can't wait to see how she flies.
Sure you're kidding right when you say "you're saving the best for last" this is not the last right?
tell me you're kidding....please.......there's so much more planes to do......
f-16, a-10,........it'll keep growing...
Apr 09, 2008, 06:39 AM
Tom Bass Park RC Nonconformist
In the words of Lloyd Christmas, "I like it, I like it a lot"

Good job, I'll have to make this one to... Ok, that will make, Mmmmm..... # 127th I have to most definitely build soon..

So many planes, sssssoo little time !!!
Apr 09, 2008, 09:23 AM
Thread OP
I'm trying to help by making them as easy as possible

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdr.Instigator
In the words of Lloyd Christmas, "I like it, I like it a lot"

Good job, I'll have to make this one to... Ok, that will make, Mmmmm..... # 127th I have to most definitely build soon..

So many planes, sssssoo little time !!!
Apr 09, 2008, 09:24 AM
Thread OP
Well, my problem is I bought two spektrum radios to convert all of my planes to, then I would sell off the futaba 6xa's, now I still have 6 6xa's full, and now the two DX7's are full too Maybe I'll just build airframes and stack them in the corner till I break stuff

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkn951
Frank another nice one.
can't wait to see how she flies.
Sure you're kidding right when you say "you're saving the best for last" this is not the last right?
tell me you're kidding....please.......there's so much more planes to do......
f-16, a-10,........it'll keep growing...
Apr 09, 2008, 10:19 AM
Frank builds all my favorite vintage supersonic jets. Awesome!!!
Apr 09, 2008, 10:26 AM
subscribed, as usual........
Apr 09, 2008, 10:28 AM
Frank do what i do......
keep it high....high.......WOT down and try to loop it see if it holds...if not you just opened up another slot and gained donor parts....lol
and gives me a reason to build more
Apr 09, 2008, 12:30 PM
Thread OP
I'm just too attached to them to break them on purpose I have started scavanging parts from planes I don't fly that often, I guess that's progress

I think I'd go broke buying lipos unless I could develop a lipo-airbag

Frank

Quote:
Frank do what i do......
keep it high....high.......WOT down and try to loop it see if it holds...if not you just opened up another slot and gained donor parts....lol
and gives me a reason to build more
Apr 09, 2008, 12:40 PM
well it only happened once for me....so far....
i really like the f4, though i have your draken staring at me for the last two days waiting to be cut up.......let see.......w/c plane would be a good candidate to be a donor.........
i guess the f-4 will have to be waiting too. the black bird flew again yesterday and somehow lost the prop way up there and she still came down unscathed.
besides f4 plans are not published yet.........hint...hint..
Apr 09, 2008, 03:12 PM
Thread OP
I like to fly them at least once before I publish the plans I really like my Draken, it rolls incredible, has an awesome speed range, and really looks good in the air, probably my favorite for pure ballistic jet flying. It does some neat things when you go vertical, and chop the throttle, when it flips back it can do some neat gyrations, no control inputs needed, just add power and she comes out.

Frank

Quote:
well it only happened once for me....so far....
i really like the f4, though i have your draken staring at me for the last two days waiting to be cut up.......let see.......w/c plane would be a good candidate to be a donor.........
i guess the f-4 will have to be waiting too. the black bird flew again yesterday and somehow lost the prop way up there and she still came down unscathed.
besides f4 plans are not published yet.........hint...hint..
Apr 09, 2008, 03:35 PM
ok ok...enough preassure......i'll build it when i get home...geez.....talk about persistence....1st the plane tried to convince me now you...where does it stop......?lol
btw i probably need to get more servos and rx too......
thanks Frank, can't wait for the f4 to fly.
Apr 10, 2008, 12:37 AM
Thread OP

progress

Ok, I drew the plans for the wing/tail, just need to trace the body pieces.
I decided to do the monokote trim and letters before gluing it all together, made it a bit easier. I had to change the stripes slightly because on the profile, the wing root goes more forward than on a normal 3d body, so I had less room to do the forward orange stripes, so I took a little artistic license, and also had to use the size of letters I already had on hand, I don't think it turned out too badly, this is it taped together again. Tomorrow I'll glue the fuse sides on, and mount the tail/motor and should have it flyable by friday.

I used one carbon spar in the wing, and some thin strips in the wingtips that glue to the spar, and some strips in the tail and nose section for stiffness.
sliced the foam and inserted the strip, and CA'd.

I left the foam in the white since the grey used on the original is pretty light, and I'm just plain lazy, and monokote trim doesn't stick to paint that well.

Only bummer is that I cut the wingtips at too sharp an angle and didn't notice until I glued them on, they look a little too angled, but I'm going to live with it and fly it like that until I just can't stand it any more and then re-cut them and angle them downward.

Empty weight so far is 4.5 ounces, 2.25 ounces for motor/ESC another ounce for servos/receiver, then battery, 3-5 ounces, so 11-13 ounces rtf or so depending on battery I need and if any nose weight is needed.

Enjoy.
Apr 10, 2008, 05:52 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Looks great Frank!

J
Apr 10, 2008, 08:21 AM
Very nice, Frank!

Jasta

Quick Reply