Jun 17, 2009, 12:23 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
Bluebell...

Glad you're doing better.

And darned right we're interested!! Can't wait to see more.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 17, 2009, 03:31 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Yes, please continue with the build thread, it's been too long. Glad too hear that you are doing better.
Jun 21, 2009, 10:56 AM
Thread OP
Hi Guys, Now we have all the edge sections in place we now are going to start to plank the deck.

Im using European Lime wood 2mm wide x1mm deep,
also black electrical tap.

I cut a section of planks , about 10, roll out the tape sticky side up.
Then I place the timbers on the sticky tape , edge on, then I turn it over and give it a good rub.
I then turn it over again and slice it down between the timbers, this give you individual planks with the corking fitted.

Mark your centre line and after appling some waterproof white glue you can start putting your planks in place.
Jun 21, 2009, 11:44 AM
Bluebell,
Sorry to hear you were under the weather.
I thought you had her done since the build thread had dropped off the board nice to see you well enough to get back to her. Also nice to see the fantastic quality you use has also continued.
Foo
Jun 21, 2009, 01:09 PM
Bluebell- by all means intrested ! I could be the next apprentice for ship building...

thanks for sharing !
Jun 24, 2009, 05:21 AM
Nevada BB36
Bluebell,
Really fantastic work! You are quite the artist. Not only that, but the 1st World War Battleships and Battlecruisers are exceptional subjects to model. I love the slick, lean lines without much deck clutter that you see on later battleships.

I was curious regarding the use of plaster of paris in the casting of the Iron Duke's turrets. I assume that material is fairly brittle vs resin? How smooth a surface do you get? Is any special preparation required (like hardening the surface) prior to painting?

Rob
Jun 24, 2009, 05:41 AM
Bluebell, great looking ship! I can see you really spend a lot of time on the finishing to make it look as good as possible. Keep up the good work, looking forward to see the rest
Jun 24, 2009, 09:17 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfleiger
Bluebell,

I was curious regarding the use of plaster of paris in the casting of the Iron Duke's turrets. I assume that material is fairly brittle vs resin? How smooth a surface do you get? Is any special preparation required (like hardening the surface) prior to painting?

Rob

Hi Rob, The plaster of paris sets quite hard, all it needs is a coat of under coat and a top finish
Jun 24, 2009, 11:15 AM
Just finshed Robert Massie's book, Castles of Steel, which details the Battle of Jutland. An historic subject and an interesting build. Looks good so far and please keep the photos coming.
Jun 24, 2009, 11:50 AM
3 Blades to the Wind
I had a chance to buy that book for $20 in hardcover and didn't do it. I kick myself to this day...
Jun 24, 2009, 05:49 PM
Thread OP
Well Guys, I am carrying on with the deck planking, you may notice it is removable, also the last picture in this post shows the patern of the deck planks, a scale 18 ft long.
Jun 25, 2009, 08:03 AM
Nevada BB36
Bluebell,
Wow, that is beautiful work. The color of the planking is perfect as is the calking. I have never seen any planking that looks quite that good. I have included a couple of pics of the new planking on the USS North Carolina and your work resembles it almost perfectly. One thing I did notice though was the absence of calking on the ends of the planks on BB55. I was curious about that so I did a little research. I found that in general, calking was not applied there. Interesting.

Jul 31, 2009, 12:30 PM
Thread OP
Hi Guys, Sorry for not getting back sooner, the computor went ca put, had to get a new one.
Jul 31, 2009, 12:38 PM
what is in the middle pic road tar? the new stuff looks great that middle one.....yesch makes me sorry to be either a deck seaman/boatswain's mate or a carpenter.
I'll have to bookmark the pics showing the joggle for the ends of the planking nice nice pics great detail and resolution.
Foo
Aug 01, 2009, 04:27 AM
Thread OP
Hi , Thats what its like before the deck is sanded.

Quick Reply