May 08, 2008, 12:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by orck
(I hope this is the last quastion I am making, I feel sorry about alla these questions)
can you please give me direction on the use of urethane glue?
it is supoosed to expand so how we apply the glue? am I supposed to close the carbon with the balsa? but if the glue expands a lot I believe that it will become a mess of carbon, balsa and glue

because I dont have a clue what this glue look like (and I wont be lucky if i go to the stores asking for urethane glue) can you suggest me some brands?
I will shot a short video of my urethane glue, how I use it and how it expand, so you will be able to see what glue cames in cocnern here.
I will upload video to youtube and put link here.

Regarding glueing rear part of the fuselage, I use that process:

- after checking if all parts are prepared (carbon tube cut to length, slots for the bowdens cut, bowdens installed, upper, lower 6mm balsa, and 3 mm side balsa pieces ) I test assemble without glueing if all parts are prepared and that they sit on its places.

- then I glue upper and lower 6 mm thick balsa onto one 3mm side balsa piece. I use carbon tube ad a spacer, so both balsa pieces are at proper location. I use white carpenter wood glue (Pattex Wood super 3, in my case).

- when Pattex glue dry, I mix a batch of poliurethane glue with Pattex glue and water. Mix it well and aply mix into groove where then we put the carbon tube. (I will show the glue and mixing of it in the video later)

- apply a little mix of that glue allso on top of the tube now.

- now use CA glue to glue over that assembly the oposite 3 mm balsa side.

This CA glue will grip at once, so poliurethane glue will not open the assembly when expanding. It will only fill all cavities in corners between balsa and carbon tube.

Mitja
Last edited by ultralajt; May 08, 2008 at 03:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2008, 03:12 AM
Thread OP
Here is a short video, where I show, how I use Poliurethane glue.

This method of mixing PU glue, white glue and water, can be used for gluing the carbon tube inside rear part of Guppy sailplane fuselage. Glue expand and fill al cavities.As it expand into foam it doesnt ass much weight.

Poliurethane glue (3 min 52 sec)

Mitja
May 12, 2008, 03:09 PM

Guppy with hotliner wing

Hi,

My Guppy has made his maiden fly today with the hotliner wing. Flying the glider in this configuration is really fun! I was surprised because the glider can fly very fast (I do not observe any flutters on the tail). The ailerons are powerful. At low speed, the glider still stable and secure.

Here is a picture of the Guppy in the hotliner configuration and an other picture with the polywing.

more details on my website
Last edited by geoffroy; Jun 26, 2008 at 03:37 AM.
May 13, 2008, 07:56 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffroy
Hi,
My Guppy has made his maiden fly today with the hotliner wing. Flying the glider in this configuration is really fun! I was surprised because the glider can fly very fast (I do not observe any flutters on the tail). The ailerons are powerful. At low speed, the glider still stable and secure.
Here is a picture of the Guppy in the hotliner configuration and an other picture with the polywing.
I am glad to read, that you like Hot wings.
Yes, they were designed to give Guppy a little more wide flight envelope, so it looks that are nice acessorry to standard Guppy.

Mitja
May 13, 2008, 08:30 AM

Glue

Mitja, thank you for the video, cool, what is your mixing ratio, it appeared to approx 1 to 1 of each?, again thanks for the tip..

Best Regards,

Wylie E. Coyote
May 13, 2008, 09:13 PM

mini-guppy

Hello Mitja;

how does one get the plans for the mini-guppy?

I am interested in trying the mini-guppy out...
May 13, 2008, 11:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie Shaw
Mitja, thank you for the video, cool, what is your mixing ratio, it appeared to approx 1 to 1 of each?, again thanks for the tip..
Best Regards,
Wylie E. Coyote
Wylie, the mixing ratio is about 1/3 PU glue +1/3 Wood glue +1/3 water

This mix expand slow and not violent. When water evaporate from joint, it is light, sandable and quite strong.
May 13, 2008, 11:55 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfire
Hello Mitja;
how does one get the plans for the mini-guppy?
I am interested in trying the mini-guppy out...
You should know, that normal size Guppy fly much better than Mini Guppy.
There was only one Mini Guppy made so far, by my friend.
He just size down the plans and change some internal structure members in thickness. I suggest him to use a little wider wing chord and to make the tip of the wing with less taper.
Mini Guppy flys satisfactory on the slope, but cant soar in flatlands like a purpose build HLG models. So, my friend tells me couple days ago, thta he will install a 19 gram outruner in the Mini Guppy nose, to get electrified little fun plane.

Regarding plans and drawings for Mini Guppy, I am a little weak with spare time, and I have also many other projects ahead...(so much ideas and so little time..), that I dont know if plans for Mini Guppy will be done in near future...

Mitja
May 17, 2008, 09:28 PM

Help Please with mounting motor

I am excited with my building progress and trying to build this beautiful plane carefully...

I purchased a Turnigy outrunner motor, and can screw it to a firewall. The motor mount is on the rear of the motor. How do I fit the front balsa cowling over the motor? The rear of the motor mounts to the firewall then the motor is in front with the prop adapter. I could build the cowling and glue that on the pod but that would not give me future access to the motor...Has anyone solved this problem?

Motor has a prop adaptor 1/4inch diameter. Any hints on a folding prop for this set up? Thanks for all....Lee
May 22, 2008, 03:19 AM
Hello, I'm starting right today with Guppy Hotliner building. I found the useful manual for HOT wing assembly at previous page and I wonder if English version is available.

Also I have a dubt on 2 wings parts assembly. On that manual there are no carbon tubes but I found the 3mm holes on R1, R2, R3 and R4 on the plans. What are they for?
May 22, 2008, 03:50 AM
It's the holes for the servo wire.
May 22, 2008, 02:11 PM
Thread OP
Hot wings are one piece assembly. 1,5m wingspan shuld not be a problem for transport.
I usually put assembeld model diagonally on the back seat of my tiny car.

But I saw some Guppy wings that builder made them separate in middle using 4 mm dia steel rod joiner, and some plywood ribs to accept joiner.

Mitja

P.S.: I did not made Hot wing assembly manual in English yet.
I supose, that photos in the Slovenian manual tells enough (well, allmost).
May 22, 2008, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralajt
P.S.: I did not made Hot wing assembly manual in English yet.
I supose, that photos in the Slovenian manual tells enough (well, allmost).
Yes they do!

But for newbies, as I am, some tips are very usefull... anyway I've just read your other Guppy manual in English and I think it's almost the same.

Thank you for sharing your great big work!
May 23, 2008, 02:46 AM
do i need to use 'dope' on the whole aeroplane or just parts that need assistment in reinforcement.

Quick Reply