Jan 15, 2009, 09:29 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
Who's Danny is that?

Brian, an EAJ
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2009, 12:14 PM
It is Dick Rohr's. He tried launching it from the ground using the dolly. I think the unexpected force of Rich's very powerful winch surprised him a little. As the nose rotated up the dolly stopped and the elevator got caught on the dolly and ripped off. It took both Dick and I a considerable force to pull the nose out of the ground. It was buried at lease 8 inches into the soft sod. Dick is donating the remains to me. I will consider repairing it if it is salvageable. Looks like lots of work though.
Bob
Jan 15, 2009, 12:27 PM
HeHe... the Predator-II DLG is actually Taiwan made. For more information, please visit our BayRC discussion forum. http://bayrc.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=4809

-Kai
Jan 18, 2009, 08:48 PM
∞ Boundary Layer

01-18-09

It was 40 degrees F @ 8:30, and 70+ degrees by Noon, starting with no wind, but building up to a 3 mph breeze out of the south by the afternoon. Great turnout, 14 flyers and several spectators showed up. The retriever behaved and there were about four planes in the air some of the time. Some big balsa birds showed up, and the hi-start was busy all morning as well.
Last edited by rduder; Jan 19, 2009 at 01:08 AM.
Feb 09, 2009, 10:43 AM
∞ Boundary Layer

02-08-09

The rain threatened, but never came. The turbulence calmed down, and thermal activity showed up. Large flocks of birds circled overhead, indicating lift. Seans Espada had a successful maiden. The school district decorated their fence with a pretty new sign (does this criminalize our activities?).
Last edited by rduder; Feb 09, 2009 at 02:48 PM.
Feb 09, 2009, 12:09 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
Looks like this will be a good place to bring a pot-belly pig or an alligator to exercise.

Our sailplanes are not model airplanes. They are not a model of any real airplanes, these are real airplanes but just a smaller in size. I guess we can't fly scale model here......

Brian, an EAJ
Feb 09, 2009, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rduder
The school ditrict decorated their fence with a pretty new sign (does this criminalize our activities?).
It might take less ink to print what is allowed .

At Rivermark there is a sign that says No “Powered Model Airplanes”. Too bad this school district can’t make the same clear distinction.

But if we take the sign literally, we are still OK:

Dictionary definition of Airplane is “A powered aircraft that derives its lift from the movement of air over fixed lifting surfaces.”

Our sailplanes or gliders are not powered. They are aircraft, but not airplanes.

Or you could tell the officer they are kites, but your darn kite string keeps breaking.

I hope you guys don’t get run out of Dartmouth because I enjoy coming to visit there occasionally. I hope and believe the intent of the sign is to stop noisy engines.

Bob
Feb 09, 2009, 03:01 PM
The previous sign said no motorized airplanes I believe. We are sailplanes, not airplanes. And if you want to take it that far its not really a "model". I would consider a "model" to be something "modeled" after a full size plane. Ive never seen a full size perfect, xplorer, supra, oly.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McGowan
It might take less ink to print what is allowed .

At Rivermark there is a sign that says No “Powered Model Airplanes”. Too bad this school district can’t make the same clear distinction.

But if we take the sign literally, we are still OK:

Dictionary definition of Airplane is “A powered aircraft that derives its lift from the movement of air over fixed lifting surfaces.”

Our sailplanes or gliders are not powered. They are aircraft, but not airplanes.

Or you could tell the officer they are kites, but your darn kite string keeps breaking.

I hope you guys don’t get run out of Dartmouth because I enjoy coming to visit there occasionally. I hope and believe the intent of the sign is to stop noisy engines.

Bob
Feb 09, 2009, 06:52 PM
UCSB !!! I saw UCSB
Feb 09, 2009, 09:08 PM
that's gonna hurt...
The sign also says no organized sports on Sundays..... what were all those kids in uniforms with bats and gloves doing there?

When Soaring is a crime, only criminals will soar.

Bruce
Feb 09, 2009, 10:10 PM
Sean Worthington

Go Gouchos!

Class of '85. Veteran (recovering) of Isla Vista and Santa Cruz dorm.

Hope to meet you some time Kai,

Sean
Mar 08, 2009, 08:18 PM
∞ Boundary Layer

03-08-09

49F & overcast @ 08:30 warming up to 61F & clear blue @ Noon, the lift got better with the temp, & then the breeze started to pick-up by noon. A dozen or so guys out today, 2 visitors from England, a 3M BOT maiden, no carnage & no major problems with the equipment. All together, a great day.
Last edited by rduder; Mar 08, 2009 at 08:39 PM.
Apr 05, 2009, 09:52 AM
Sean Worthington

flying today?

Is anyone going to the field today?

Sean
Apr 12, 2009, 07:12 PM
∞ Boundary Layer

04-12-09

Easter flying @ it's best ! Half a dozen planes or so. Abundant bubbles of lift and some long flights for all. We laid-out the measuring tape and practiced shooting landings. Using an amp-meter, we tried Walter's new Optima battery on the Rhams winch and it pulled 10% more current. You could see the improvement in the zoom heights.
Apr 12, 2009, 11:07 PM
Rich
Thanks for posting the pics.What a great day...