May 20, 2008, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmca72
Done it! See Page 5 of the Gallery at:

http://www.ntxbg.org/gallery.php

JM
Hello , may I know what is the steering method? Is it the vector of the fan or dual esc to drive like a tank?

Brillant design
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2008, 03:34 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Thread OP
Well, The ducted fans & reversing ESCs arrived a couple of weeks ago. After some bench testing & playing around I decided to fit them to the rescue boat for testing on the water. Did it last night. I've got a day off today so, TO THE LAKE!!!
I bent up some aluminium sheet, screwed them to the cover, mounted the fans, drilled holes in the side of the cover & passed the wires through. I added a piece of ply inside first where the brackets screwed on for extra strength.
The ESCs & Rx were velcroed to the roof of the cover & plugged into the motor wires. This means that the only thing to plug in is the battery as the cover is put in place.
The cover is now secured with 2 screws at the back through the spraycan lids into the battery box, & by tape at the front. The tape acts as a hinge & allows the back to be lifted up to access the battery & plug.The battery is now a 3s Lipo 15c 5000ma. As each fan only draws 23amps at full noise, the 75 amp rating of the battery is more than enough.
The original motors & props were removed, although the propshafts are still in place in case this is a resounding flop.
Here's some vision of the mods. More from the test run later.
Cheers.
Paul.
Jun 09, 2008, 03:56 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Some darker colors, marks and streaks and it could pass for something from StarWars.
Jun 09, 2008, 07:28 PM
Retired for now
That is really neat. What do the spray can tops do? How do you steer it? Good going and keep us posted on the water trials. Pete
Jun 09, 2008, 10:08 PM
Thread OP
Just got back from the lake after an enjoyable session with the retired gentlemen who meet there on Tuesday mornings. Tested out the rescue boat
under the watchfull eye of some very experienced modelers.
green-boat
That's worth considering when I get sick of the blue.
Pete.
The spraycan lids were originaly put on as fake exhaust vents to tart it up a bit.
Steering is basicaly by vector thrust, forward or reverse with the brushless ESC on each motor.

Well, it was all quite successfull really. They're powerfull little units. The nose still wanted to come up in the air at full power so I angled the units down at the back to try & lift it a bit. Worked to some extent. Did a dummy rescue on the little 'Sea Sprite'. It's a bit more touchy to line up than with the props. Very responsive. Here's some action shots & a video.
All good fun.
Paul.
Boogie Board Rescue Boat Mark 2 (0 min 45 sec)
Jun 10, 2008, 07:11 AM

boogie board

Started on my boogire board. Cut out made, shafts in, motors (titain 550), lined up, Starting to fiberglass hull etc etc.

785 I hope you don;t mind me copying your design. when I saw the fan ducts, I said "OH BOY". Since I am using the Proboats esc's(brush), I am wondering if there is Fan's available that will work with the Proboat esc and be able to produce the rpm etc as your brushless fans.

This is absolutely a great project. Glad I didn't throw away the boogie board. When MY grand kids come down again I guess I will have to buy them another board.

GB Robbins
Port St. Lucie, FL

Jun 10, 2008, 08:10 AM
Taking care of the pond.
I like Boogie Board Boats.
My Boogie Board Airboat.
Jun 10, 2008, 02:04 PM
Thread OP
Hi there.
gbrobbins.
I was wondering how you were going with it. I'm sure I've seen EDFs with speed 380s or 400s in them. Can't remember where though.

Millertime
I like that airboat of yours too. I think the boogie board can make the base for any number of craft.

I just realised something. In my haste to fit the fans & get it on the water, I did'nt give any thought to the old two ESCs with BEC connected to the one Rx problem. I forgot to disconnect one of the positive leads. I don't even know if you can do that on these programmable brushless ESCs. Everything worked fine & it was running on & off for about 2 hours. My guess is that because both fans are running off the same battery there are no voltage differentials across the reciever or through the ESCs. Or the ESCs are protected from the problem in some way. Or the next time I use it something will smoke. We'll see.
I think the next addition will be to add some foam to thicken the sponsons & extend them all the way to the stern. This will make a kind of tunnel hull out of it & stop it from pushing that bow wave along between the sponsons that's obviously slowing it down.
'till later.
Paul.
Jun 10, 2008, 11:35 PM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Hi Paul.
I Guess you figured out the programming of those escs then
regards
Nick
Jun 11, 2008, 10:42 AM
3 Blades to the Wind
Wow... that thing is LOUD...

Neighbors probably think someone is running a leaf blower. LOL! Which reminds me, wonder if a cordless leaf blower would make a good thruster...
Jun 11, 2008, 02:14 PM
Thread OP
Yes Nick by accident. The internal programming was fine. The only thing I ended up changing was the Lipo cutout voltage to match the 3s pack.
The reason I could'nt start them up was that according to the "chinglish" instuctions, the throttle stick had to be at minimum setting when the ESC is plugged into the battery. With the stick pulled right back The ESC would not accept the startup command . However with the trim switch pulled right back too, it would. Luckily I accidently bumped the trim during the process after many frustrating attempts & variations. I would never thought of trying it. All was in harmony with the universe again.

Shaun. Yes It's too loud. OK up to about one third throttle. That's all I should really need as a rescue boat. But ya just can't help bending the sticks full forward can ya.
Regards.
Paul.
Jun 11, 2008, 03:47 PM

Bogie Board

Paul. I've ordered some fans from BPHobbies (brush motors) will see if they will reverse etc with proboat esc's Will reverse wire on one motor. I love the noise. Sounds awsome. Wish I could figure out how to post pics.and a video.

Log on to our web site. waveblasters.org

GB Robbins
POrt St. Lucie, FL

Jun 14, 2008, 03:31 PM
Thread OP
Hi GB.
Had a scroll through your website. Very nice looking club & setup you have there.
Those motors will reverse with the Proboat ESCs. No need to reverse the wires on one.
I sent a PM about posting pics.
All the best.
Paul.
Jun 17, 2008, 07:55 AM

boogie board

Got your PM and responded. Only going to change wire on the 55o motor to get opposite roation. Will only run 550 motors OR fans separaely not at the same time.

GB Robbins
Port St. Lucie, FL
waveblasters.org

Jul 05, 2008, 06:15 AM

Boogie Board

Hey Paul: I'm testing my boogie board this weekend. If I can get some local tech help regarding posting pics ( Still can't figure it out) I'll post some pics or a vedio.

G B Robbins
Port St Lucie, FL

Quick Reply