Apr 04, 2008, 06:56 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Slope Flying Sites in Orange County

Hey, I just started sloping about a week ago and I'm addicted. The closest site I know of is dog beach in huntington, and thats about 30 minutes away. I live in Orange about 10 minutes away from The orange park acres area. I see a bunch of hills from my house, does anyone know of a good flying site around there or Santiago college? Or do I have to pioneer it ?
thnx in advance!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 04, 2008, 09:02 PM

Well we have a couple

1. Glider point in Yorba Linda
2. Temple Hill in Pomona

Im sure you can find directions without to much trouble. Im probably going to Temple on Sunday around 3pm or so. If you want to PM me. OH buy the way welcome.
Apr 05, 2008, 02:52 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, i found a bunch of google earth points on the PGR slope pages. It was a really helpful resource. I'm not sure if i can do sunday (tomorow), but i'm headed to Dog Beach in about an hour. I might even stop by a park and fly some of my electrics on the way back. It's a lazy day, i'll see how things go.
Apr 07, 2008, 02:30 PM
The El Modena preserve, that hill north of Chapman, west of Cannon is flyable in a west wind. The hike is not too bad 10 to 15 min, but the cactus covering the hill makes it difficult to recover sometimes.

If you like Dog beach, try Bluff Park, it is WAY better!!!

The SPOT of ALL SPOTS for inland in ORANGE COUNTY is what I am calling SHERIFFS POINT. It is a BEAUTIFUL SW facing bowl with drive and fly potential. HITCH is I can't get past the OC Sheriffs radio station facility. If ANYBODY has a connection I would love to try this spot!!!!
Apr 07, 2008, 10:01 PM
Fly It Like You Stole It!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minhuahua
The El Modena preserve, that hill north of Chapman, west of Cannon is flyable in a west wind. The hike is not too bad 10 to 15 min, but the cactus covering the hill makes it difficult to recover sometimes.

The SPOT of ALL SPOTS for inland in ORANGE COUNTY is what I am calling SHERIFFS POINT. It is a BEAUTIFUL SW facing bowl with drive and fly potential. HITCH is I can't get past the OC Sheriffs radio station facility. If ANYBODY has a connection I would love to try this spot!!!!

Holy Cow.., I've been eyeing that bowl for some time now. I'd love to hear some one has successfully figured out access.

Cheers, Raul
Apr 07, 2008, 10:07 PM
So. Cal. Glider
Where is Bluff Park?
RCANDGOLF
Apr 07, 2008, 10:33 PM
bluff park - ocean ave & redondo in long beach, by belmont shore.
Apr 07, 2008, 10:58 PM
I think Minhuahua is refering to "Cactus Hill" off Canon and Chapman. I learned about it from him about 8 months ago and it's a good spot for flying light wing-loading aircraft. The windy days before a storm comes through you can fly the heavier stuff. I often get my Easy Glider hundreds of feet in the air as there are thermals if you search around a bit. I'm always the only one flying at Cactus Hill and I will admit that while it's no Glider Point or Temple Hill, it is flyable. A Weasel or combat wing will fly on most days.
If your on Chapman turn left onto Canon and go to the second stop sign. This is Creekside street. Turn right on Creekside and park. Go back with glider in hand and cross Canon. You will see a "natural rock stairway" about 250 feet on your left. It's kind of steep but you can hack it. I usually wear boots with a waffle sole and never have a problem. I always keep my radio gear in a small duffel bag over my shoulder so I'll have one hand free in case I lose my footing. When you get to the top of the stairway you'll have a great view and the wind should be in your face. It seems to work good with southwesterly winds. Easterly winds, no matter how strong, do not provide any lift. There are a variety of places you can choose to fly from and I usually choose my spot according to the landing zone. The ground cover is actually quite high right now and provides a cushioned landing if you choose wisely. There is a hill all the way in the back by the radio tower that you can fly from if it's not working down below. It's a bit of a climb but it's worth it. I've specked my glider out from this point many times. There is quite a bit of Cacti and retrieval can be trying at times so be ready. We all end up poking around for our plane in the Cacti sooner or later. One nice thing is that I've never seen a snake at this location and even talked to a gentleman that has walked the paths for over 30 years and has never seen a rattler. I like that!
Last edited by Elmog; Apr 08, 2008 at 05:02 AM.
Apr 08, 2008, 05:08 AM
Here's a website that gives great weather information. It's a lot more detailed than most and more reliable. I use the Santa Ana weather for Cactus Hill and look for about 10 knots SW.

www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?Submit=Go&sta=KSNA&model=avn&state=CA
Apr 08, 2008, 10:53 AM
So. Cal. Glider
Thanks elmog..
I have not done any sloping. I have an Alula which I have been flying at the park but would like to try some simple sloping. Which of the O.C. slopes would be best for a beginner?
In addition to the Alula I am in the process of building a Weasel which should be finished by next week.
RCANDGOLF
Apr 08, 2008, 11:13 AM
Isn't that the area at the Sheriff's gun range Dave? There's definitely some good bowls in that area--but as far as I know- NO ACCESS!! I have flown off the transportation corridor is several places!! There are areas you can pull off and park and fly! But I'll leave them nameless for now.
Tim
Apr 08, 2008, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minhuahua

Double check your radio becaue I got my self shot down flying to close to these typr of radio towers.
Apr 08, 2008, 11:09 PM
Rcandgolf-

One of the best places to slope near Orange County is the Bluff in Long Beach. You'll find plenty of slopers there on the weekends and lots of help is available to assist you with your Weasel when your ready to launch. Weasels are popular at the bluff and one of the the best choices for this site. Also, if there is any onshore wind at all the Alula will be flyable. You do have to be careful with your flying as there are usually people walking and biking right around you. Also, there is a bit of a rotor effect as the wind picks up and it can toss the lighter planes around a bit when landing on the grass. Great view, a green lawn to land on and a fresh ocean breeze....what more could you ask for?
Apr 08, 2008, 11:23 PM
Here is Bluff Park in Long Beach.
Apr 08, 2008, 11:25 PM
So. Cal. Glider
Elmog.. and Ktoey...thanks for input on the Bluffs in Long Beach.
I will drive up there and check it out. Will take the Alula just in case I feel brave, but I am unsure of sloping techniques.
RCANDGOLF

Quick Reply