Apr 04, 2008, 11:47 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

5.5m blue-explorer successful maiden flight !

hi,

My friend and I just ordered two full carbon Blue-explorer. They are on the way to my home now.

Does anyone know about the size of spinner? I need to prepare accessories now. They do not answer .

My experience is that sometimes it is very difficult to deal with some German companies, they do not answer letters in English. and some of them will not tell me the price without VAT, which actually i do not need to pay.

Can anyone suggest me the power train? i want to use stuffs i already have got:

ESC: Power Jazz
RX pack: Power expander with two 2s 2200
Motor: Hp300/30/a2 5:1
Power pack: two 6s 5000

Do you think I can use the above set up? Do you think 12s is too much for the motor? how about the size of prop? Hitec servo or Futaba servo(i always use Futaba servo before, very reliable_).?

Zhaokun Deng
Last edited by Zhaokun Deng; Jul 06, 2008 at 11:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 04, 2008, 04:00 PM
AZ Outback
You are building on a scale few even think about. The only person with experience at this size, I can think of is Lenny970, who is also a current F5B team member and has years of experience in all types of electric sailplanes.

The Best Soaring

Robert
Apr 04, 2008, 06:57 PM
Pontificating Member
WOW! What a model!
Can't help you myself, but Northeast sailplanes carries them, so here is some info.
Compare your powertrain to the reccomended one i suppose.
http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=5337
Apr 05, 2008, 12:35 AM
Thread OP
hi Tone,

I have check all English information (which i can understand) I canel check from internet. Nothing about the size of spinner. And it seems i need to cut the nose by myself. My friend, Friedrich just tell me that the baby will arrive next week. Everything is clear at that time. But i just want to prepare other accessories now.

I saw the vedio from Blue-airlines website about the launch of the blue explorer.
The problem is we use the different kind of TX. In the video, the player use a Europe Style TX,which is flat. The Tx can be release and hold its position by gallus. And the player can launch the glider by two hands and run at the same time.
I use hand-held style Futaba 14mz, i can not run if i do not hold it by one hand. That means i need to launch the glider just by one hand!
The glider should be about 8000 g. So, i simulate to launch a 8000 g dumbbell by right hand in a way just like launch a glider. I found it is very difficult to give it a firm launch like the way launching a F3b size electric glider.

so, i think the recommanded Fun 600 powertrain with just 8 lipo is too weak to launch by one hand.

kun
Apr 05, 2008, 02:07 PM
Hi,

If your plane will weigh around 17 lbs you will need 150-200 watt/lb for a good climb. That means 2500-3400 watt of power with the largest diameter prop you can find. I don't think there is any way you can toss this plane in the air. Even if you could hold it up and level, any wind will drop the wing on launch. Plus, you won't have the strength to get a good launch speed. I would recommend a small zip start to get you in the air, then turn on the motor. I have planes in the 12 ft and 6 lb range and can tell you, any wind and you cannot launch it yourself. That's with 400 watts/lb.

Ric
Apr 08, 2008, 11:03 AM
Thread OP
Hi,
The Plettenberg team tell me:

Dear Zhaokun Deng,

thanks for your inquiry.

You can use a 6s pack with a RFM 23x12" prop.
12s is to much for this motor

Best regards

Manuel Wuest
TEAM Plettenberg
Apr 08, 2008, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicVaughn
you will need 150-200 watt/lb for a good climb
That is incorrect. We run eSoaring contests that limit the power to 200W/Kg (90W/lb), and all models have vertical or near vertical climbs at about 1600 ft/min.

Neil.
Apr 08, 2008, 05:12 PM
wishes this caption was longe
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786875

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810089

maybe this will give you some help, but I think it is for the "small" version
Apr 08, 2008, 08:23 PM
Quote:
I don't think there is any way you can toss this plane in the air. Even if you could hold it up and level, any wind will drop the wing on launch. Plus, you won't have the strength to get a good launch speed.

And I always thought launching into the wind will help to get airborne.
Guess I was just lucky over the last 25 years.

@ Zhaokon
Donít worry with proper set up, Guys launched heavyer ones ( FS5000) w/o problems.
Some information about usable components here:

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...highlight=5000

Cheers
Thomas
Apr 18, 2008, 11:47 AM
Thread OP
i jjust open the big box. here are some pics.
from the pics, you will find some quality problem in the spar of the central piece of wing.
my friend's spar is covered all by carbon strip. mine is not covered by carbon strip. It is covered with a carbon 'net',and the net is not glue on the surface of the wood spar. strange, it is a quality problem.
Two Blue explorer, not the same quality.

an other problem is that the central wing screw hole can not match the hole in fuselage, my friend also meet the same problem . there is a yellow mark on mine, and my wing is red. There is a red mark on my friend's and his wing is yellow. So ,we exchange the fuselage and try, not match too. Do you think wing should be drilled for one fuselage or can be fitted with all the same type fuselage?

wing joiner need to be sanded before you can put them into the right position.

kun
Last edited by Zhaokun Deng; Apr 18, 2008 at 12:30 PM.
Apr 18, 2008, 12:36 PM
Thread OP
Hi,

The canopy is carbon, and wings are full carbon, two sides of fuselage are carbon. Could you please suggest me where to put the antenna?
and i will use eagletrees system, there is a GPS module and transimitter module, can I put them inside the fuselage?---kun

Quick Reply