Jun 30, 2008, 07:23 AM
Flying RC Heli's since 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hammer

...I got this far today, I'm amazed how much bigger the G-10 is compared to the stock frame.
When the 52 and 52-1 came out there was a strange reversal of people going to longer tail booms and even longer main blades to achieve better flight characteristics. (you can’t shrink air molecules)
I always like going smaller, if I want a bigger heli I’ll just buy one.

That aside, nice work on your build!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 30, 2008, 10:25 AM
3D VFX Artist
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hammer
I just received my first MIA G-10 frame from John yesterday, I have a few things coming from Mario that should arrive tomorrow so I can finish this up, very cool!

I got this far today, I'm amazed how much bigger the G-10 is compared to the stock frame.
How big is the new frame in cm? I don't think I like a bigger frame.
Jun 30, 2008, 12:22 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyastro
How big is the new frame in cm? I don't think I like a bigger frame.
Actually the MIA frame isn't very much larger than the stock frame, it's really a matter of a larger, longer tail boom.

Here are the dimensions:

Stock
Basic frame: Width: 19mm, Length: 62mm, Length of Tail from back of frame base to center line of tail rotor: 110mm, Overall length: 172mm

MIA
Basic frame: Width: 20mm, Length: 65mm w/ a 10mm projection rearward for the tail boom support, Length of Tail from back of frame base to center line of tail rotor: 140mm, Overall length: 205mm

Both frames are basically the same height so the real difference comes in the length of the new tail boom which adds 32mm to the overall length for the MIA frame.

BTW, Mario includes an adaptor piece if you want to use the stock tail boom.
Jun 30, 2008, 12:27 PM
3D VFX Artist
I guess that's not too big. Thanks
Jun 30, 2008, 02:18 PM
Put a Quark in it!
lets create a petition to Walkera to have them make some sort of adapter, or even a rx version without the dummy channels. I would pay for it. I bet LOTS of folks would pay for it.

I created this poll so you could vote if this is something you'd want to have. It couldn't hurt to at least try to see if Walkera will do something.

There are enough Walkera vendors here that could pass the petition, and info to Walkera.

You'd think they'd want to play nicely with other brand tx's like many other heli mfg's do.
Jun 30, 2008, 09:18 PM
I was able to sneak enough time this afternoon to complete my new frame. So this is the MIA G-10 fiberglass frame with the MIA TUFF Struts-Skids landing gear.

Now it's time for all of the components.

Jul 01, 2008, 12:15 AM
What's Nitro?
Thanks Xrayted.

I've done tons of custom stuff in the past but I no longer have the patience for it. Then, after a crash I'd have to customize yet again.

I think I will just sit back for a few months and watch what happens.

If there isn't anything newer/better than the 4#3 2.4Ghz w/metal head I'll probably just go for that.

That said, I would like to eventually do (when the stock motors burn out) the brushless converson. Maybe by then there will be a drop in replacement available.

Is that new MIA G-10 frame necessary due to the stock one being weak?

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted
Hey Dave. Its possible and there a few in the threads that have done it, but its not cheap or a "drop in" conversion. There are two roads to travel for this: First you could use the nano AR6300 receiver and seperate 3&1 with gyro but these things will not work on 1 cell. There is a guy in the forums who was selling 6300's that he converted to work on 1 cell for about 100.00 but then you still have the 3&1 to deal with.
You can go to 2 cells which solves these issues but the stock motor setup will die so you would then need to do a full brushless conversion with all seperates, speed controls, etc. You will spend much more than than the heli istself in parts but it CAN be done if you want it bad enough
Jul 01, 2008, 12:29 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCnGuy
Thanks Xrayted.

I've done tons of custom stuff in the past but I no longer have the patience for it. Then, after a crash I'd have to customize yet again.

I think I will just sit back for a few months and watch what happens.

If there isn't anything newer/better than the 4#3 2.4Ghz w/metal head I'll probably just go for that.

That said, I would like to eventually do (when the stock motors burn out) the brushless converson. Maybe by then there will be a drop in replacement available.

Is that new MIA G-10 frame necessary due to the stock one being weak?

Dave
Brushless conversions with the very first 4#3 release were almost a must if you didnt want to change your motors out every 10 or less flights. The newer ones are much better but unpredictable. Soemtimes you can fly forever on a stocker and then you might lose a motor after 10 flights again but this is much more rare. I found it easier and cheaper to just order a handful of the cheap brushed and spend five minutes to change it out when needed.
The Mia frames solve a lot of the stock frame issues....weak tail boom, small skids and weak antirotation bracket but once you can fly and dont crash much, these things are no longer much of an issue. Most do it for the look of a bigger custom heli and the MIA frame is already set to accept many other brushless and motor options so it makes that easier.
I wanted to keep one of mine in its stock small form so I just customized what was already there. My other CNC version is a "FrankenMIA" using the upper half of the stock frame and the lower half of the MIA with a custom ally tailboom and skids. Just a fun rainy day project. These things are fine in stock form I think and the custom frames, BL setup, etc are just personal taste and fun things to do if you like building as much as flying
Jul 01, 2008, 07:07 AM
Flying RC Heli's since 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyastro
I guess that's not too big. Thanks

In some photos it looks pretty large, it could be distortion in the pic.
Jul 01, 2008, 12:53 PM
Thread OP

More Options with MIA Frames - Stuts - Skids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwiron
In some photos it looks pretty large, it could be distortion in the pic.

The MIA Carbon and G10 "Flex" frame is taller because of the strut design which adds to the specific look of the heli with the struts being angled forward, but if you use the TUFF Struts this drops the helicopter lower to about the same height of the stock 4#3, some folks like the taller Carbon G10 profile struts as part of the Frames kits and some like the MIA TUFF struts lower sruts look. We have made various options to satisfy various installs.

There are also various Skid options with the MIA TUFF Struts:
1) Use them with the MIA G10 Skids with the angled mounting pegs ( these skids are basically the same lover section of the Flex strut/skid design, Post 1091, like Diamonds setup), which simply press fit inside the TUFF Struts. If you have broken the flex type struts at the leg section, just above the skid do not discard these parts, as they are usable with the MIA TUFF Stuts by the install explanation just given.

2) Use them with the MIA TUFF Skids (molded tubular skids, Post 1101, like Hammer pictures show, btw great pictures!!!) with the vertically installed green pegs, which mount vertically, by design.

I lke to cover all options, as many as posible, because no two people are alike and someone is bound to select one option over the other for personal taste.
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Jul 01, 2008 at 01:11 PM.
Jul 01, 2008, 03:30 PM
I was able to finish the G-10 upgrade for my 72MHz 4#3 last night, all I have to do now is trim it out.

I know everyone is trying to get an idea how the G-10 upgrade compares to the stock frame size wise, so here are a few pics which I hope will show the difference, it's hard due to perspective and depth of field but here they are.

The overall weight of the G-10 including battery.
Jul 02, 2008, 01:06 AM
Nice one 1hammer , when my package arrives i will be building a g10 4#3b .
I also bought the flybar and collar upgrades , can you tell a lot of difference flying with them installed ?
Great pics by the way !
Cant wait for mine to arrive
Jul 02, 2008, 08:39 AM
I Like Deraring

air hogs reflex motor

the reflex motor works great on the 4#3.....the only difference is that it has a dull finish and it has an "r" stamped on to it.....hopefully this motor will last........anyone know much about it?

jdog

this helicopter is sweet.....
Jul 02, 2008, 11:28 AM
A quick question,

Do the MIA frame kits work with both the original 4#3 and the 4#3b, ie. does the frame have multiple mounting points for the motor to allow for the different diameter main gears and position of the motor.

Thanks
Tom
Jul 02, 2008, 11:29 AM
Danger is my middle name
Yes, the MIA frame will work will 4#3 and 4#3B parts....

Quick Reply