Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 30, 2008, 11:17 AM
(TechDad) Bob Templeton
Build Log

X-42 Deltastorm II (Vectored Thrust)...

The X-42 Deltastorm II is a heavy modification of my original X-41 design. The original X-41 Deltastorm (single-engine) thread can be found here. You'll see from the video that I've barely scratched the surface as far as what the thrust vectoring is capable of. I'm still getting acquainted with this aircraft. It's fun and challenging and I learn something new with just about every flight. She's got twenty three flights and two crashes on her so far...

I hope you enjoy it!

Specifications:
  • Length: 31" (~787mm) with motor and prop.
  • Wingspan: 28" (~712mm)
  • AUW: 25oz (~708g)
  • Power: Two BP/Suppo/no-name 2208-12 motors each with a 30A ESC, 3S 2100mAh 20C, Counter-rotating 7x5 props trimmed-down to 6x5. All this generates about 280W according to the WattsUp.
  • Paint Scheme: Inspired from a German ME-109 I built as a kid.
  • Paint Used: Delta Ceramcoat Acrylic Craft Paint from Hobby Lobby ($1ea). Finished off with several coats of Minwax Semi-Gloss Polycrylic spray (blue can).
  • Decals: Images found on the intarweb. I printed them on CD/DVD labels with my inkjet, cut them out, and stuck them on before the clear-coating.
  • Speed: Doppler does not like the two motors and four whistles. I got the screwiest-looking graph I've ever seen in wavoscope. I'd give a ballpark guess of about 65-70mph
  • Canards: Functional via custom mixing with the delta program in my DX7 (rudder channel)
  • Thrust Vectoring: Accomplished via four custom mixes in my DX7 (Flap and Gear Channels).
Electronics:
  • Canard Servo: Futaba S3114 (x1)
  • Elevon Servos: TowerPro SG-90 (x2)
  • Thrust Vectoring Servos: BMS-380MAX Metal Gear (x2)
  • 6V ParkBEC
  • AR6100 Rx
Tx Programming: As one might expect, she's can be pretty touchy. I use 50% expo on ELEV and 40% on AILE with 100% full throws. The canards are mixed to ELEV at 35%. All the trust-vectoring mixes are 47% to both ELEV and AILE.

CG: I highly recommend that you start at the 10.5CM mark and work your way forward to taste from there. When all was said and done, I had to add 1.5oz of lead to the nose to get my CG where I wanted it. Believe me when I tell you that you do not want this bird to be tail-heavy.

Download the free plans at T3chDad.com

X-42 Deltastorm II (2 min 27 sec)
Last edited by T3chDad; Feb 26, 2012 at 12:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 30, 2008, 04:27 PM
Fly Low Fly Fast
AWESOME! this will be my next project. thanks
Mar 30, 2008, 10:35 PM
Suspended Account
Nice design, very cool thrust vectoring. Kind of puts a new spin on what 3D needs be

Bob
Mar 31, 2008, 04:06 PM
Wow! That was incredible

At the 1:35 mark, you're either very good or very lucky. Or both

Great job!
Mar 31, 2008, 05:00 PM
(TechDad) Bob Templeton
80% Luck 20% Good

I just didn't panic like the previous time I crashed. I kept my wits and was able to recover. ...but I thought it was a good demonstration of what the TV could do.

Thanks for all the complements!
Latest blog entry: I've been flying!
Mar 31, 2008, 08:12 PM
Just one more flight...
Seriously, this is one of my favorites. Delta, canard, twin VT its got all the best stuff!
Mar 31, 2008, 08:30 PM
Fly Low Fly Fast
for second time, awesome! this should be manufactured
Mar 31, 2008, 09:03 PM
They keep getting better and better

Regards
Mal
Apr 01, 2008, 07:16 PM
(TechDad) Bob Templeton
Oh well...twenty three flights...and two crashes now. The flight was going awesome. I was trying some new things and using more throttle in this flight. One of the ESCs went to LVC before the other, and I was too low and I realized what was happening too late. I cut the throttle, and she went straight in. I'm liking depron more and more. There was hardly any damage. What is broken is broken clean and should be easily repaired. She should be back in the air tomorrow. I did take 1 minute off my timer...I had 22 seconds left when this happened.
Last edited by T3chDad; Apr 02, 2008 at 04:10 PM.
Apr 01, 2008, 08:17 PM
Fly long and land softly
Sorry I missed seeing it.

I was at the Parade Grounds about 11:30 today and had the whole soggy field to myself!

Jim
Apr 02, 2008, 05:06 AM
Or am I...
Awesome. I havent commented on this or the original but I have to say, I love how great it looks without any sanding or curving
Apr 02, 2008, 08:32 AM
(TechDad) Bob Templeton
Sorry I missed you Jim. I could have killed the weather men/sites yesterday. They were claiming high winds and 90% thunderstorms and rain so Jeff and I didn't bring anything to fly. I had to look out the window at the beautiful weather and limp heli pad wind-sock all day.

Anyway, she's all fixed up and ready to fly again. Hopefully the winds will die-down before lunch.

Thanks, again to everyone for the complements, I'm glad you like it.
Last edited by T3chDad; Apr 02, 2008 at 10:39 PM.
Apr 02, 2008, 09:10 AM
Respect My Authauriti!!!!
Like the new avatar

The TV is an awesome idea. I think I am going to try a scaled down version with TV but only as a X-41. I need to get one of these in my fleet.

One question though: How did you get the bends on the stainless so neat and clean? What did you use to bend it?

Fanatic
Apr 02, 2008, 09:30 AM
(TechDad) Bob Templeton

--- Motor Mount Tips --- (Welcome Fanatatic!)

Bending: For the longest bend (side with pushrod hole) I clamped it in my bench vise and hammered it over to 90deg. The shorter bend was accomplished with some large needle-nose pliers and some electricians pliers. This stainless was not difficult to bend at all and I don't see any reason you couldn't use two pair of pliers for both bends. I was just being picky.

Drilling: Don't drill the holes for the stick mount until the bends are complete. I suggest you place some motor mount stick in the motor mount and drill through one side of the the mount, through the stick, and out the other side of the mount in order to get your orientation and alignment correct.

Important Note: Remember, screw holes on the back of most motors are NOT arranged symmetrically. If you want to have mirrored orientation of the motors, the screw holes in the mounts for the motors will need to be different to account for this.
Latest blog entry: I've been flying!