Mar 28, 2008, 03:21 PM
I miss Overgrow
Thread OP
Discussion

What's so special afout the Xtremelink upgrade

so, you slap one of these into your old radio. does it make it just like the current 2.4GHz systems or like something...else. They claim 5 miles on the website.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 28, 2008, 03:41 PM
They use higher powered maxstream modules with better receiver sensitivity. 5 miles might be possible in the right conditions, however keep in mind this system doesnt work with 2.4ghz video
Mar 30, 2008, 02:58 AM
I miss Overgrow
Thread OP

Does this system simply convert a seventy-whateverMhz set into a 2.4Ghz?

Does this system simply convert a seventy-whateverMhz set into a 2.4Ghz? is that all it is? cause if it is, I'll simply buy one of those. What is the difference between a set upgraded to Xtremelink and an off-the-shelf 2.4 Ghz set.
Mar 30, 2008, 04:03 AM
It replaces your module completely so it runs 2.4ghz straight out. The module "bay" in transmitters provide the ppm chain to be encoded for the transmitter - the 2.4ghz system just takes this, encodes it and then sends it along

XtremeLink use the MaxStream modules which have very good receiver sensitivity. They may also transmit at a higher power, but i do not know.
Mar 31, 2008, 05:19 AM
I miss Overgrow
Thread OP

dude wha?

I understood about 35 percent of that reply Mark. I am unfamiliar with the terminology.
Mar 31, 2008, 05:31 AM
I'm about to head to bed, but i'll take some photos and explain it a bit better tomorrow sorry about that.
Mar 31, 2008, 09:42 AM
Basically on a 9C the Xtreme system replaces the 72mhz module. In non module systems the Xtreme link plugs into the trainer port of the transmitter.. The Xtreme Link then converts the PPM signal and sends it over to a receiver using a Maxstream module (Xbee's with special firmware).

http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/products.php?cat=11
Apr 03, 2008, 03:22 AM
I miss Overgrow
Thread OP
right, I understand what it replaces. My question is, is an rc system which has had the extremelink upgrade any different than a standard, off-the-shelf 2.4 GHz system. this is for my rc link, not my video. Is extremelink inferior? superior? Who can give a first hand account?
Apr 03, 2008, 08:45 AM
at3buell, the difference is that it'll work with just about any radio that you care to use. As long as the radio either has a trainer port on it or a "module" socket, they'll work. I use on in my Hitec Eclipse 7 and I'll also use it with the Microstar 2000 transmitter that I'm in the process of installing into an old Futaba G series case. (I had the kit built by someone else - SMD parts drive me crazy)

I've got one 8 channel rx and I fly it in my GP Velocity. Works great for me.

g.
Apr 03, 2008, 11:35 AM
Whether it's better or worse than other 2.4Ghz systems is up to you
to decide for yourself. Do some research in the Radio forum.

ian
Apr 05, 2008, 06:10 PM
I miss Overgrow
Thread OP
does Extremelink give definite range improvements over FM? I fly in rural areas and if I get better range with FM, I see no reason to switch. You have all been really, really helpful so far. Please help me more. Thank you.
Apr 06, 2008, 12:10 AM
No 2.4Ghz system has proven to have better range than a good 72Mhz system.
For the most part, it's not why people choose 2.4Ghz.

ian
Apr 06, 2008, 05:35 AM
Free Flying
Has their system been proven to 5 miles? If it can't do something close to that, they shouldn't claim it's possible.
Apr 06, 2008, 08:55 AM
jab
jab
Unregistered User
Read up on XPS and they have a history of making shady claims and boosting about "revolutionary" technology. It's a 2.4ghz system like the rest of them, built using MaxStream 2.4ghz modules you can order in any electric component shop with a custom (claimed) firmware .
Apr 06, 2008, 10:08 AM
Yeah and it's funny since I had those same Xbee's and couldn't get any further than 1500 feet on the ground. I like the XPS guys. I met them at AEF and had a wonderful conversation with them. Was looking at buying their technology when it came out.. Then Futaba came out with FASST.
Last edited by typicalaimster; Apr 06, 2008 at 10:15 AM.

Quick Reply