This thread is privately moderated by 356Jim, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 27, 2008, 02:28 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

It's All About Me - 1st blog post

OK, I'll admit it. I'm a plastic foam junkie. I collect pieces of it, EPS, EPP, Depron, supermarket meat trays, packing material protecting electronis and other stuff, and so on. Whenever I can't get pieces I need, I'll buy foam from a commercial vendor. I was raised on balsa, and usually prefer to build with balsa, but that old foam disease keeps me coming back.

Many years ago, I used to cut foam wing cores. I'd plot the aifoils, load them into any one of several airfoil printing programs and voila! I'd have my wing templates.

Recently, I was able to achieve a dream that I held for many years - indoor flying. I was able to find a venue and meet up with a bunch of really nice guys with like minds - indoor (and outdoor, too) RC flying. That's when my addiction to foam shifted into high gear!

I now have made a foam slicer. I can slice any variety of foam at virtually any thickness from almost see-thru veil to whatever thickness I need. I have developed a how-to guide for foam slicing - just e-mail or PM me for an electronic copy. Included is a novel way to power the cutting wire without the need or use of 117 vac house current. You probably have all the parts you need sitting right at your fingertips.

Currently I'm flying an EPS foam version of Billy Stiltner's Square9 using 1.5 mm thick EPS for the wing, stiffened with a 0.5 mm spar. It's controlled and powered with Plantraco Butterfly gear. The plane weighs about 4 grams. I also made a "mini pizza box" indoor slow flyer using 3 mm EPS, powered by Aero Ace guts. It's a blast.

The only thing is, when you build these micro-sized planes, your foam consumption is really low, compare to the days when I was cutting cores for 2 meter glider wings!!! I would be happy to part with some of my foam stock at a reasonable cost, or trade for RC stuff - particularly the micro indoor stuff.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply