Mar 27, 2008, 10:20 AM
Thread OP
Question

new to 1/2a rc! please tell me how to use d cell batterys to heat a cox glow plug.

hello,
I am getting married and have sold all my electric rc toys and now am looking to get into 1/2a gas models thinking it will be cheaper. (smaller kits, cox engines, ect.) so here are some questions...

how do you hook up a D cell battery to heat a cox glow plug?

how diffulcult is it to rebuild these engines. ( I see lots of parts on eBAY)

I like planes with ailrons any sugestions for kits to build?

thanks guys, just triing to get back in the air!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 27, 2008, 11:39 AM
Two D-cells in parallel will work nicely.

1/2A engines are still available, but limited. The big auction site is a good source, but sometimes "used" means "abused". The AP Wasp .061 is available thru Tower for $45 -- parts can be purchased from Hobby People. It is about the only 1/2A engine with a throttle currently in production. The COX Sure Start at $6.99 from COX Models (www.coxmodels.com) is probably the best buy. It's cheaper to buy 3 or 4 for parting out than to try to find parts. Usually a glowhead will run more than a complete engine. The engines are very simple, but you can't use a heavy hand.

NORVEL was probably the best 1/2A engine with a throttle to come out in the last 10 years, but they have gone out of business. Auction prices for these engines are quite high. The Wasp is a Chinese knockoff of the early designed NORVEL.

A lot of 1/2A flyers hand launch and fly wide open until the fuel runs out, then deadstick -- no landing gear and no throttle servo helps reduce weight.

Give us an idea of your flying experience and what type of flying you like to do -- that would help in suggesting kits or planes.
Mar 27, 2008, 01:40 PM
Thread OP

thanks

thanks for the tips.. that really helps!
I have flown alot and on a scale of one to 10 my skills are a solid 7
I like to fly for the airspeed and then other times i like to putt around slow
but i have flown quite abit. i am looking at the herr seaplane becuz my local hobby store has one. i like to build kits..
thanks again for the tips on the engines, so i hook the positve clip to the top of the glow plug and the neg. clip anywhere on the head?
Mar 27, 2008, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by muckem
<snip>.....on a scale of one to 10 my skills are a solid 7
I like to fly for the airspeed and then other times i like to putt around slow
but i have flown quite abit.

<snip>.....so i hook the positve clip to the top of the glow plug and the neg. clip anywhere on the head?
Polarity doesn't matter on your glow battery - those pesky electrons will run either way.

Visit Select Hobbies and check the following planes:

Baby Stick
Extra 230
Herr Cloud Ranger
Sig Hummer
Das Not Ugly (DNU) -- this is an absolute hoot
Simple 400

There should be something there that meets your fancy, especially if you have flight experience. Most 1/2A planes use only elevator/aileron and occasionally throttle. The bottom line is to build light -- you can't crashproof these by adding structure, and performance will degrade quickly as the weight goes up due to the higher wingloading.

I do not think I would recommend the seaplane as a first 1/2A model although HERR produces excellent kits with good wood and laser cutting.

andrew
Mar 27, 2008, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew0820
Das Not Ugly (DNU) -- this is an absolute hoot
DNU also is very easy to scratch build. A fun little project. I'm still looking forward to fly mine.
Mar 27, 2008, 08:19 PM
I also recommend Select Hobbies. Scroll to the bottom of his kits page and check out the laser-cut Skydrill(has ailerons). I just finished one and it flies awesome! I'm using a hopped up .049 but it should fly just fine and quickly with a Surestart engine that's available from Cox for $6.99. Throw in a few HS-55 servos, a Berg 4L receiver, and you've got a high performance 1/2A plane that delivers great bang for the buck.

As far as lighting the glow head, a couple of D-cells in parallel with a Cox clip work just fine. I usually run an aftermarket conversion head that uses Turbo glow plugs allowing me to use a standard glow driver. Several head options are available if you look around. Good luck

My Skydrill
Last edited by Tee Bee; Mar 27, 2008 at 09:45 PM.
Mar 27, 2008, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee Bee
Scroll to the bottom of his kits page and check out the laser-cut Skydrill(has ailerons). I just finished one and it flies awesome!
That was my oversight -- the Skydrill is also a good recommendation. There is another plane available as a short kit, the Sure Shark, available from Rainedave, a poster in the other group that is a sharp looker and excellent flyer -- designed for the Sure Start engine.
Last edited by Andrew0820; Mar 28, 2008 at 07:59 AM.
Mar 28, 2008, 10:52 AM
Thread OP
thanks soooo much for the info guys. yes i like the skydrill and the site (select) is awsome. just what the new budget calls for.. thanks to andrew0820 and the rest for expediting my learning curve..so its DNU or skydrill for the first new project.
currently I am working on a sterling models Zero with a 24" wingspan. this one will be rubber powered and hang from the celing behind a F4U4 corsair I hope to build also.. hehe.. I will post further under "projects" thanks

may all your belly flops be fluffy and soft..
muckem
Mar 28, 2008, 07:06 PM
You should be happy with either of those choices. Both excellent flyers.
Mar 28, 2008, 07:20 PM
Here are some pics of a "sort of DNU". I took the basic dimensions, then redrew the fuselage with the flat portion up and moved the wing to the bottom. The wing planform is about the same except for the addition of false ribs. The fin was also redrawn as a conventional shape instead of a typical STICK layout. It doesn't look much like the original DNU, but that was its heritage.

Quick Reply