Aug 01, 2013, 09:47 AM
WOW! you can cut foam with this 306B charger!!! Awesome
to remove ads between posts
Aug 01, 2013, 11:27 PM
Head full of foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkers Jumo
I've just started using a pair of the 106B chargers. I tried using this power supply: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20612
The charger is rated at 10.0 - 18.0 VDC input voltage and the power supply is rated at 13.8V~18VDC, checked with a voltmeter at 17.7 VDC, yet both chargers come up with an input volatage error. Both work fine with another power supply which puts out about 13.3 VDC. Any ideas? Should they work with an 18 VDC power supply or not?
Thanks,

Ingo
Quote:
checked with a voltmeter at 17.7 VDC
Loaded? Plug it back into the wall and hook the charger up, then take a look at the Vin. Could be the supply is faulty and open circuit V looks fine. You hook up the charger and it's not fine anymore.
Aug 02, 2013, 12:53 AM
BGR
BGR
Foam Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tFly
hi there,
my icharger 3010 is taking too long to balance the batteries. i think that because i bought another charger recently and it is charging the same batteries way faster than icharge is. i'm saving at least 30% time with the new charger. i have several batteries and no matter the ones i try, the charging time will always be too long. they are neither too new nor too old.
i calibrated icharger and upgraded it to a newer version two days ago, with no visible results. i usually charge two or three 6s 5ah packs in palallel. everything is fine until the voltage reaches 4.18 - 4.19v on each cell. then, the charger seems to have difficulty in finishing the process.
is there something that i can do?
thanks.
My ICharger does the same thing when one cell in a pack is weak. It spends a long time trying to hold the fully charged cells at voltage while bringing the weak cell up. When parallel charging it has to do this with many cells and those little load resistors cannot sink much power. The only thing you can do is see if you have one battery with a weak cell and charge it by itself if it is still useful.
Aug 02, 2013, 01:43 AM
@Can'tFly
@BGR

What comes to my mind is the balancing accuracy the iCharger does. You can change it in the setup. So maybe the iCharger does a quite better job in balancing than the other charger and therefore takes longer...

Soko
Aug 02, 2013, 05:14 AM
Quote:
I've just started using a pair of the 106B chargers. I tried using this power supply: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20612
The charger is rated at 10.0 - 18.0 VDC input voltage and the power supply is rated at 13.8V~18VDC, checked with a voltmeter at 17.7 VDC, yet both chargers come up with an input volatage error. Both work fine with another power supply which puts out about 13.3 VDC. Any ideas? Should they work with an 18 VDC power supply or not?
Thanks,

Ingo
The 106B+ makes its max wattage above ~13.8V. So there's no real need/benefit to running higher voltage than that. Try setting it to, say, 15V and see what happens. At 17.7V, you're cutting things a bit close, risking blowing the chargers, for no real reason. As was said, make sure you're also checking the PS voltage with no load on it.
Aug 02, 2013, 11:42 PM
Schwalbe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralFPV
Loaded? Plug it back into the wall and hook the charger up, then take a look at the Vin. Could be the supply is faulty and open circuit V looks fine. You hook up the charger and it's not fine anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr
The 106B+ makes its max wattage above ~13.8V. So there's no real need/benefit to running higher voltage than that. Try setting it to, say, 15V and see what happens. At 17.7V, you're cutting things a bit close, risking blowing the chargers, for no real reason. As was said, make sure you're also checking the PS voltage with no load on it.
Thanks for the reply guys. You're spot on Red, I have a lower voltage PS that I'm using now anyway, so I'll keep using that. It would have been nice to only have the one PS running my three chargers, but not much difference.
Rural, does the charger have a display somewhere of Vin? You're right, I checked the PS voltage without load attached, although I'd be surprised if the voltage increased under load. Anyway, as Red said, 17.7V is right on the limits, so why take the risk.
Cheers,

Ingo
Aug 03, 2013, 07:26 AM

**NEW charger arrived***

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylonboy
I got in touch with Junsi, and he in turn got in touch with EPBuddy (now called BuddyRC).

It seems that Dale, the owner of BuddyRC was in China and was not able to keep up with his customers on this side of the world. He has hired someone to take care of business with him now.

BuddyRC contacted me trying to make things right. I now have an RMA to return the unit to BuddyRC. I will update once things get going........

I must thank Junsi and BuddyRC (formerly EPBuddy) for finally getting this resolved and replacing my 106B+. It took a bit of trouble to get through to them, but response has been good since Junsi contacted BuddyRC about this situation.

My 206B was doing double duty for a while during this outage..........this should ease the strain.
Aug 03, 2013, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Rural, does the charger have a display somewhere of Vin?
You can see a bunch of details if you hold the far-left button for a few seconds, when not doing a charge or anything. It will show you the input voltage, the pack voltage, etc. Press the "Inc" button from that screen, and you'll see individual cell voltages. Press the "Dec" button, and you'll see individual cell Internal Resistances.

Why not try adjusting the big power supply's output down a little more, to maybe 17V, and try it there? You'd at least be further away from the 18V max. I don't know what the third charger is, and whether it really needs the full 18V. But a slight output voltage reduction might be worth the tradeoff, if it let you run all 3 chargers off 1 supply?
Aug 03, 2013, 06:28 PM
guys help !!!

my i106b+ is displaying a balance error message regardless of the pack I plug in ...what do I need to look at ?
Aug 06, 2013, 12:21 PM
Just started charging some new lipos with my 306b. The new batteries are:

Nanotech 6S 8000 mAh rated for max charge at 5C.

I plug in one battery and charge at 30 amps, then after about 30-45 seconds the iCharger turns off completely - the power supply stays on.

If I charge the same lipo the same way at 16 amps then it's fine. My math says that I should be able to charge this battery at 40 amps max. Any ideas?

(Oh, btw I've been using this 306b on my 5000mAh nanotech 4s lipos for about a year with no problems and charging at 30 amps.)

Thanks!

Tom
Aug 06, 2013, 12:51 PM
Sounds like your power supply is likely inadequate and your 306B is objecting and shutting down. What specific supply are you using to power your 306B?
Aug 06, 2013, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth
Sounds like your power supply is likely inadequate and your 306B is objecting and shutting down. What specific supply are you using to power your 306B?
It's a Meanwell SE-600-24

Input: 100-120vac 12A
200-240vac 7.5A

Output: +24V 25A

Purchased at EPBuddy.

Thanks,

Tom

BTW, I've used this to parallel charge 6 5,000mAh lipos (rated at 10C max charge) at 30A at once.
Aug 06, 2013, 01:03 PM
...and there's your answer.

You are attempting to charge at ~ 750 watts yet have a 600 watt power supply. Consequently, the charger is shutting down, as expected.

Charge power should be limited to no more than ~500 watts when using a 600 watt power supply. For your 6S packs, do not exceed ~20 charge rate.

Mark
Aug 06, 2013, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth
...and there's your answer.

You are attempting to charge at ~ 750 watts yet have a 600 watt power supply. Consequently, the charger is shutting down, as expected.

Charge power should be limited to no more than ~500 watts when using a 600 watt power supply. For your 6S packs, do not exceed ~20 charge rate.

Mark
Ahhhhh...Thanks Mark! You are always so helpful!

Could you please humor me with the formula you used to get 750 watts? I really need to work on math more.

Thanks!

Tom
Aug 06, 2013, 01:41 PM
Sure thing Tom.

6 cells x 4.2 volts per cell x 30 amps = ~ 750 watts.

Mark

Quick Reply