Nov 19, 2012, 09:43 AM

re: discharging

I would like to discharge my 4s lipo's while I will not be using them for 6 weeks.

At three at a time using the parallel board, what would I set the voltage to?

Also, should I use the "discharge" or "storage" function?

Thanks,
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2012, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raehm View Post
I would like to discharge my 4s lipo's while I will not be using them for 6 weeks.

At three at a time using the parallel board, what would I set the voltage to?

Also, should I use the "discharge" or "storage" function?

Thanks,
You should the charger to "storage". The voltage should be set to 1C. I'll give an example -- you can then adjust the numbers to fit your situation.

Suppose you have three 2500mah 4S lipos. Each lipo would take 2.5amps at 1C, so three of them in parallel would take 7.5amps at 1C. While lipos can be discharged at any speed up to the discharge C rating of the lipo, doing it at 1C ensures that you'll get optimal results.

I hope that helps.
Nov 19, 2012, 12:32 PM
He asked for voltage, not current. Voltage is set by number of cells in series. Connecting several packs in parallel doesn't change this, so it should be set to 4S in this case.

Fred
Nov 19, 2012, 03:19 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
Storage voltage is 3.85V / Cell.
Nov 19, 2012, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
He asked for voltage, not current. Voltage is set by number of cells in series. Connecting several packs in parallel doesn't change this, so it should be set to 4S in this case.

Fred
No. Voltage is set by default in selecting "storage mode", and so is both implicit and impossible to request significantly.

Amperage, however, is significant, as amperage is both an item that may be specified manually within storage mode, and is also relevant to the short term precision and longer term lifespan of the battery.

Which is not to disagree: you are, literally, correct. And helpful. To which I would add that I am helpful also.
Last edited by syzygyQ; Nov 19, 2012 at 06:49 PM.
Nov 19, 2012, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygyQ View Post
No. Voltage is set by default in selecting "storage mode", and so is both implicit and impossible to request significantly.

Amperage, however, is significant, as amperage is both an item that may be specified manually within storage mode, and is also relevant to the short term precision and longer term lifespan of the battery.

Which is not to disagree: you are, literally, correct. And helpful. To which I would add that I am helpful also.
Your response stated V=1C, which looks like a typo based on the rest of your response on optimal current discharge rates.

The target storage voltage rating is inputted at a single cell (1S) voltage though. I have found that the default 3.1V (which is an under load voltage value and indeed configurable) works fine as the voltage comes back up a bit under no load readings. I thought that it would be "too low," but works just fine and the no load V is within the range of values recommended by a variety of folks far more knowledgeable about battery chemistry than moi.
Nov 20, 2012, 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlebuoy View Post
YThe target storage voltage rating is inputted at a single cell (1S) voltage though. I have found that the default 3.1V (which is an under load voltage value and indeed configurable) works fine as the voltage comes back up a bit under no load readings.
That would be discharge mode. Storage voltage is fixed at 3.85V/cell for LiPo.
As for relying on cells recovering after discharge, that will depend on actual cell IR, discharge current and discharge reduce setting.
Nov 20, 2012, 02:38 PM
seattlebuoy, flarssen,

Thanks for the clarification and further details!
Nov 22, 2012, 06:43 PM
I didn't do it...
Hey all! Just ordered a 3010b, it's on it's way here. Is there any "Big" concerns I should be aware of when it arrives? All of you before me have a lot more knowledge than I do just starting out with this charger. This is my first "Good" charger, and I hope its my last. Thanks in advance, and for any advice.
Last edited by av8ersteve; Nov 22, 2012 at 11:23 PM.
Nov 23, 2012, 12:55 AM
BGR
BGR
Foam Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ersteve View Post
Hey all! Just ordered a 3010b, it's on it's way here. Is there any "Big" concerns I should be aware of when it arrives? All of you before me have a lot more knowledge than I do just starting out with this charger. This is my first "Good" charger, and I hope its my last. Thanks in advance, and for any advice.
At first time use monitor it carefully to make sure it goes through the charging properly and does not exceed your batteries voltage. The charger usually goes a bit higher than the battery voltage (which is normal) but only .3 or .4 volts. After the charge check each cell with a multimeter to make sure that the charger is properly calibrated.
Nov 23, 2012, 08:33 PM
If I want to balance charge a 7s pack with a single 7s balancing lead, is that even possible with the 1010B? The manual leads me to believe I have to charge it in non balanced mode primarily because there is no 7s balancer port to plug into?

...how about if I buy one of the nanotech 7s packs that have both a 3s and 4s balancer lead within the single pack, can I just plug in both of those leads (1 into the 3s balancer port, and 1 into the 4s port) to enable the balancing function?

Any help is appreciated! Cheers!
Nov 23, 2012, 10:54 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
The 1010B charger will balance charge up to a 10S pack.
Quote:
...how about if I buy one of the nanotech 7s packs that have both a 3s and 4s balancer lead within the single pack, can I just plug in both of those leads (1 into the 3s balancer port, and 1 into the 4s port) to enable the balancing function?
Do NOT do this. That is not how to connect your pack to balance charge a 7S pack.
The balance port on the side of the charger is for up to 10S.
Plug in your balance plug to the - end of the large port.
Charge away.
Nov 24, 2012, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodCrafter View Post
The 1010B charger will balance charge up to a 10S pack.

Do NOT do this. That is not how to connect your pack to balance charge a 7S pack.
The balance port on the side of the charger is for up to 10S.
Plug in your balance plug to the - end of the large port.
Charge away.
Perfect! Thanks for the clarification. Yeah, the original idea to hook up the two Balancing leads didn't sound right, or at least the way I visualized it. So how is that accomplished if you buy a 7s pack that has multiple balancer leads?

There is a diagram in the manual that shows a depiction of the balancing port, but it is not 100% clear where exactly to hook up greater than 6s balancing leads.
Nov 24, 2012, 02:10 AM

106B+ balance ports don't work

Hello

In my 2 years old 106B+:

Suddenly whenever I plug any 3-cell lipo it shows up only the third cell as ~0,66. If I plug any 6-cell lipo shows only the last two as 1,06 and 3,121.

All the batteries appear correct in the portable hyperion checker.

Is that an internal problem of the charger?

Thx
Nov 24, 2012, 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetnfast View Post
Perfect! Thanks for the clarification. Yeah, the original idea to hook up the two Balancing leads didn't sound right, or at least the way I visualized it. So how is that accomplished if you buy a 7s pack that has multiple balancer leads?
It works for multiple connectors with same pin count. If you had a 8S split into 2x 4S, you could use the row on the board with 4S sockets. 4S + 3S is more tricky. Anyway it's important to get the correct sequence, or cells will be shorted. Seems that the lower cells usually are wired with one or more black wires. This connector should go to the socket located on the negative edge of the board. This picture shows a typical trace layout:

I use a self made universal adapter, but one really must know how the pack is wired and take great care when connecting the pack. I mostly use it for single connector packs (with unused pins covered by empty connector housings).

Fred

Quick Reply