Jun 28, 2009, 10:15 AM
I will be an angry old man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainring
This is the only change I'd disagree with. I like the precision steps. When I have an oddball pack that's rated for 4300mAh, that's where I like it to be set, exactly at 4.3 A. I'm charging any cell(s) I come across on my 208B, and want that precision. Call me OCD, but I like exact, matching numbers. Besides, wasn't this already addressed with steps that went faster the longer the button was held? I seem to remember that coming up, and being implemented.

All other recommendations, perfect, spot-on!

Just make the precision linked to how long the button is pressed. If you hold the up or down key for more than a few seconds, the current changes in larger steps (0.5A), then you can "click" the up/down buttons to fine tune (0.1A) the current... just like most alarm radios. There's no need to reinvent the wheel!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 28, 2009, 10:27 AM
Southern Pride
Judging from the number of downloads in my post
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3955
it would seem there are a lot of users who are interested in the multi balancing leads adapter. I know I have made these for my TO1010C,all three of my Hyperions and now the 208B. I find them so much earier to use and I only have one adpater to keep up with for all fo my normal balance charging.
Page #13 of the 208B manual has a wiring diagram which makes this super easy to figure out. Starting with the outside pack negative (cell #1) lead all of the connections are next,next,next, etc. until the last one is reached with one exception.
Hyperion / Poly Quest skips connection position #2 for a 3S . That is Hyp. / PQ uses positions 1 / 3 / 4 / 5 for a 3S ,they do not use position #2 in the male balancing connector on the battery.

Used the 208B for the first time at the field thismorning. Power supplied by my two 125Ah deep cycles which were holding 12.2 volts under load. Air temp was 82F and the highest internal temp. I saw was 122F and this was during a 3S 2200 10A charge
3S 2200 @ 10A
1,701 mAh / 13:31
1,521 mAh / 12:55

3S 2200@ 6A
1,493 mAh / 19:00

Observations:

Input voltage ,charge rate,delivered mAh,battery voltage,cell voltages are all very close. Biggest error (?)/difference I have noticed is 208B displays reads 12.56 when all of my other test equipment reads 12.54 for the same battery. That is a .2% error which I feel is extremely accurate.

Correction that was not the greates difference ,0.17 volts difference between chargers battery display voltage and my Inspector Watt meter battery display was the largest differenc ebut that most likely was due to increased resistence of extra leads,connectors and wire length.

The only readings which I have observed which I question are the Cell IR readings and I will need to run some addational test to see if it is indeed the charger or perhaps something else. Initial reading on two different LiPolys 4 / 4 / 8 and 4 / 4 / 10. Both of these have consistently measured between 2.8 and 4.3 depending of charge rate and temperature so I tend to believe that cell # 1 & 2 are displaying correct IR and Cell #3 is way off. Note I tried not only my homemade balancing leads but also the OEM one and reading were the same.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Addational data:

Discharged 3S 2200
battery voltages
208B 11.08 all cells 3.7 / IR 3 / 3 / 7
Accurate DVM 11.05
CBA II 11.04
2,025 mAh dischared to LVC of 10.5V @ 20 amps. (Zenee 30C )
Charged at 6A on 208B l(latter)

Cell IRs again LiPoly which 208B indisctaed cells at 4 / 4 /10 when charged on Cell Pro 10 at same rate and at same temperature 3 /3 /3 .

My Wish list:

Add ability to change charge rate during the charge but does not become a permenate charge( does not become permenate unless saved to a memory slot).

Be able to read cell IRs during the charge. Cell IRs change with state of charge and with temperature changes.

Global setting for C or F , Safety Time Out , Max. Capacity Cut Off , Beep On Time, Termination Voltages with ability to over ride Global setting on a per Memory bases.

Change so that when a Memory is Loaded and you make changes to it and save it it is automaticly saved to same location by default ,(with abaiklty to change isf so desired).
IMO it is way to easy to make a change and store it over another Memory position. Default is 00 which I over wrote several times by mistake and even now that I know better I sometimes forget which memory I am making changes to.
How about requiring two steps to save to a Memory Slot already being used?

During a Charge or Discharge show Memory # being used.

Balance charging LiPo,LiFe use balancing leads to determine and set cell count. It allready checks and compares such as if a 3S is connected and charger is set to 4S it gives voltage error.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jun 28, 2009 at 07:37 PM.
Jun 28, 2009, 11:34 AM
Asks too many questions
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc1
Just make the precision linked to how long the button is pressed. If you hold the up or down key for more than a few seconds, the current changes in larger steps (0.5A), then you can "click" the up/down buttons to fine tune (0.1A) the current... just like most alarm radios. There's no need to reinvent the wheel!
Yes, this is the way to do it. It leaves the option to fine tune the current. By the way Julez, I often charge at 14.8A!
Jun 28, 2009, 11:36 AM
Asks too many questions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
Right, I was just kidding.

Here, in this post, I want to post the yet unadressed improvement suggestions, which are scattered throughout the thread, and some new ones.

<snip>

Has changing the charge rate during a charge been addressed? I didn't see it but it's not in your list so perhaps it has.
Jun 28, 2009, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
Judging from the number of downloads in my post
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3955
The only readings which I have observed which I question are the Cell IR readings and I will need to run some addational test to see if it is indeed the charger or perhaps something else. Initial reading on two different LiPolys 4 / 4 / 8 and 4 / 4 / 10. Both of these have consistently measured between 2.8 and 4.3 depending of charge rate and temperature so I tend to believe that cell # 1 & 2 are displaying correct IR and Cell #3 is way off. Note I tried not only my homemade balancing leads but also the OEM one and reading were the same.

Charles
Interesting Charles, my 208B does the same thing on IR measurements, Hyperion G3 2600 4/4/8, Xcite 2200 6/6/11.

Hilde
Jun 28, 2009, 11:48 AM
Asks too many questions
Mine also. I reported this in this post earlier in this thread. I assumed it was just my unit but it's interesting to see others also getting incorrect IR readings.
Jun 28, 2009, 12:05 PM
I will be an angry old man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde
Interesting Charles, my 208B does the same thing on IR measurements, Hyperion G3 2600 4/4/8, Xcite 2200 6/6/11.

Hilde

My 208B has the same IR measurement error, for a 6s 2500mah (discharged) my 1010B+ measures 14-15 but the 208B measures 12 to 21!

I hope this is just a firmware fix...
Jun 28, 2009, 03:13 PM
Southern Pride

iCharger 208B diferent charge to voltages

Graph with three different charged to voltages

Charles
Jun 29, 2009, 12:21 AM
208B

How do I initiate the internal logging? I found the file management menu but I can't figure out how start the logging. I got Logview to work on a laptop running Windows 2000 but haven't established communications with my XP laptop yet. I'm having a problem with the external temperature probe but email response was good and the troubleshooting instructions identified the sensor as the problem. A replacement will be on the way.

I'm quite impressed with the 208B's ability to charge at high currents. I was able to charge a single A123 cell at 20 amps. I have a couple of Orbit Microlader Pro's and although they are rated at 8 amps and 200+ watts they cannot charge a single cell at high currents, and they get really hot.

With this charger I'm now going to get set up for parallel charging.

Thanks,
Vince
Jun 29, 2009, 01:06 AM
Thread OP
Hello everyone,

Thank you for your threads. We have read them carefully, and here I will answer your questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
2) Rollover menu, implemented in 208B, but not the other chargers:
When one increases the biggest current, the display starts at the smallest current, and vice versa, like:
9.8A+9.9A+10A+0.05A+0.1A
or
0.1A-0.05A-10A-9.9A-9.8A
We will implemented in 1010B+ and 106B+ in the near future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc1
Our engineer thought the current changes in larger steps 0.5A is better, later, we will take it into consideration.
Quote:
We found there are some bugs in the programme, and we will modify it. Thank you for your suggestion.

Note: Our engineer has just modified the software. The longer time you press the button, the stepping speed is more faster than before. We have tested the current changes from 0.5A to 20A, now it only needs 10 seconds instead of 20 seconds originally.

As for the Cell IR readings, we also modified it. See the attached upgrading file below.

Regards,
Junsi
Last edited by junsi; Jun 29, 2009 at 03:23 AM.
Jun 29, 2009, 04:15 AM
Thread OP
Hello Charles,

Thank you for your suggestion. According to your wish, our answers are as following:
Quote:
Add ability to change charge rate during the charge but does not become a permenate charge( does not become permenate unless saved to a memory slot).
Some of end users has suggested us to modify it, and we will take it into consideration.
Quote:
Be able to read cell IRs during the charge. Cell IRs change with state of charge and with temperature changes.
We thought it will be better, but we do not have a clear idea about how to realize it till now.
Quote:
Global setting for C or F , Safety Time Out , Max. Capacity Cut Off , Beep On Time, Termination Voltages with ability to over ride Global setting on a per Memory bases.
Our engineer thought it will be better to save these individually, which will be more flexible.
Quote:
Change so that when a Memory is Loaded and you make changes to it and save it it is automaticly saved to same location by default ,(with abaiklty to change isf so desired).
IMO it is way to easy to make a change and store it over another Memory position. Default is 00 which I over wrote several times by mistake and even now that I know better I sometimes forget which memory I am making changes to.
How about requiring two steps to save to a Memory Slot already being used?

During a Charge or Discharge show Memory # being used.
As for these, we want to hear more voice from our users. Your opinions are highly appreciated here.
Quote:
Balance charging LiPo,LiFe use balancing leads to determine and set cell count. It allready checks and compares such as if a 3S is connected and charger is set to 4S it gives voltage error.
Now this function is available.

Regards,
Junsi
Jun 29, 2009, 04:47 AM
Southern Pride
Suggestion.

When a update Revision is made available provide imformation listing changes.

The latest 208B Rev. does what?

Corrects cell IR readings

Increases charge rate setting change speed

Auto detects # of cells based on balancing leads and sets cell count.

Any others changes?

Is there a Rev. history file that is maintained somewhere? Can prevreious Rev. be reinstalled and if so are they available on-line?
Does installing Rev. clear / erase present memory setting?

Charles
Jun 29, 2009, 06:03 AM
Quote:
When a update Revision is made available provide imformation listing changes.
Is there a Rev. history file that is maintained somewhere? Can prevreious Rev. be reinstalled and if so are they available on-line?
Junsi normally posts both the new binary and the Changelog in the first post of this thread (except for this very latest update for the 208 - but I'm sure it gets posted at the top as well later)

Hopefully Junsi will add the bins for the 208 there was well

T
Jun 29, 2009, 08:34 AM
IR’s - 208B with V309
Hyperion G3 2600 4/4/8, Xcite 2200 6/6/11

IR’s - 208B with V309a
Hyperion G3 2600 3/5/5, Xcite 2200 5/7/9,
Assorted old batteries - 46/49/51, 11/16/16

Hilde
Jun 29, 2009, 12:37 PM
Southern Pride
Installed 3.09A Rev in 208B.

which cleared all set Memories (no wonder many do not go to the trouble of setting / nameing them).

Charged a 4S 3300 LiPoly and IR 1 / 3 / 3 / 3 so IMO still not right.

Isn't there some way once a Memory is configured and saved that it could be recalled and just modified and saved to another Memory Position?

The processes of naming each Memory location from scratch each time is enough to drive a man to drink.

Quote:
Quote:

Now this function is available.

Regards,
Junsi
I understood this to mean 208B would set cell count based on balancing leads cell count however it does not.

Most likely a language barrier problem.

Cell Pro 10 you do not set cell count at all. You set battery Type ,LiFe,LiIon,LiPo and you set charge rate. When you connect the balancing lead and power lead and press Start it reads the balancing leads ans sets cell count automaticly. There is no way to get it wrong uinless you connect a 3S balancing llead to a 4S LiPoly in which case it give you a voltage eroor as the total voltage from the balancing leads does not match the battery voltage reading from the power leads.

Thanks for adding the Mem. locaton # to the Mem position however I should have been more clear.

I wanted the Mem. # on the screen
LiPo Balance Chg
10.0A 14.8V(4S)

so that when I loaded one from Memory and modified it I would know where to save it back to.

Having
Load Settings 00
memory0

is not really helpful.

Sorry for the confusion.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jun 29, 2009 at 12:54 PM.

Quick Reply