Jan 07, 2003, 11:09 PM
Flight Instructor
Thread OP

Bolt-On Wing for DAW Warbird?

Has anyone put a bolt-on wing on a foamie before? Any tips, suggestions, or crazy ideas?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 07, 2003, 11:39 PM
I think I've seen a lag screw or drywal screw setup. Try doing a search on the forums.
Jan 08, 2003, 12:28 AM
Free as a bird now.
I have a foamie with a bolt on wing. Just inset hardwood blocks into the fuselage and use a tap to make threaded holes. Also reinforce the wing with hardwood blocks, sanded flush with the airfoil, and drill holes for the bolts.
Jan 08, 2003, 12:43 AM
PWP!
that's how I did my DAW P-51. Couldn't get the wing to stay on the fuse with anything else - goop, hot glue, epoxy, nothing worked until I bolted.

Went to Lowes and got some nylon screws (3 1/2"), some dome-headed nuts and a few washers = all nylon.

Used my soldering iron to dig out cavities in the DAW fuse, drilled corresponding holes in the wing. W/ hot glue, filled the cavity of the fuse and stuck the screw/bolt into it, holding it until it cooled. Filled the rest of the cavity w/ hot glue so that the bolt was set and the "mount" was flush.

Then, used hot glue on a bead to sit the fuse to the wing. Pulled it snug w/ the washer-nut combo.

Although a cartwheeling "landing" would loosen the fuse from the wing, it was still fly-worthy - just a minor wobble. Even now, were I to put together another DAW foamie, I'd institute this from the onset. Weight add'n is negligible, durability AND transportability is great.

Jan 08, 2003, 12:50 AM
Flight Instructor
Thread OP
Cool, that is kinda what I was thinking, except I was heading in the direction of using blind nuts in the wood inlays instead of tapping the wood itself.

What do you think about using thin nylon bolts, like 10-32's? I was thinking that given enough lateral tension, the nylon bolts would shear off before the wooden inlays would do any damage to the surrounding foam, but would still carry plenty of vertical load (a lot of lateral load too, but not nearly as much) to survive 98% of combat and bad landings. I would just have to carry some extra bolts just in case, but they are cheap. Overkill?
Jan 08, 2003, 12:52 AM
PWP!

Sorry, everytime I hear FOAMIE, I think DAW

Whatever you do, don't use rubber bands. IMO, screw nuts are asthetically better than dowel-bands for even the most WAAAY off scale foamie.
Jan 08, 2003, 01:47 PM
I use rubberbands on my epp planes with no problem at all! It does take away from the scale look but with 6 rubberbands that wing is stuck it place!
I have never tried nylon bolts I like the simplicity of the rubberbands.

Quick Reply