Mar 18, 2010, 11:08 AM
Hi guys, I am following this thread from the beginning and I am gathering the mats to start my Lazy Boy this coming weekend. I will post pics and videos later. Thank you.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 22, 2010, 01:45 PM

First Maiden for Lazy Boy in Miami FL

Hi Guys, for the past few weeks, we had windy conditions in Miami FL between 12 and 20 m/h, that gave me the idea to build this wonderful glider, Lazy boy was built within two nights of work in my hangar (that's how my wife calls my garage now), I nicknamed it "the condor", he took off around 7 pm yesterday and it was a lot of fun to me and family. Unfortunately, wife forgot to take any video at all.
I am building another one with stronger carbon fiber rod (6mm) and also with Fasciman's wings, this time i will take pictures and make sure wife is loaded with camera.
In the end, Lazy Boy is a fun, easy to fly and build specially for beginners like me.
Thank you,
Hedwing

Lazy Boy was made with Fan Fold Foam 6mm
Motor: GH2208-17 Brushless Outrunner Motor from Grayson Hobby GA
Battery: GraysonPower 1500HV 3S 11.1V Lipo Pack
ESC: 30A
Prop: 10x4.7
Mar 23, 2010, 03:35 PM

Divided wing

Pics enclosed may inspire someone to build the wing with standard airfoil and divided into two halves for better transport ability. This is my own design of an electric sailplane slightly smaller in wingspan than Lazy Boy. I wanted to make the wing more solid than before and also attached to a fuselage by means of two plastic screws. The connection between the two halves will be provided by two short carbon rods both 4 mm in diameter that fit into those short carbon tubes.

I am going to post more pics later, other plane parts are not finished yet.
Mar 24, 2010, 11:09 AM

Nice Upgrades

Fasciman you have a lot nice upgrades for Lazy Boy that I am going to try this weekend. I hope you can show the final pictures how you assemble it at the end with fuselage and wings all together.
Best regards,
Hedwing
Apr 03, 2010, 12:05 PM
Addicted to flight since 1944
I have to get busy and finish my Lazy Boy. All done but for the electronics and power system. Did you cut all of those ribs by hand?
Last edited by rbrown3rd; Apr 03, 2010 at 12:14 PM. Reason: change text.
Apr 05, 2010, 01:05 AM

My wing

Some ribs are cut of light abele plywood and were used as templates for foam fibs. Templates for ribs at the wing tips were made of plywood too, shapes created by means of photocopier size reduction function, starting at 100 % and ending at 60 %. All cut by hand.
Apr 05, 2010, 11:55 AM
Addicted to flight since 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasciman
Wing almost finished except some surface sanding and final painting. This is supposed to be a training plane similar to Lazy Boy with shortened fuselage and divided wing smaller in wingspan.
Beautiful work. That is going to be a nice Lazy Boy. The wing is really nice. I like your construction techniques. My Lazy Boy sits almost finished with the KFM wing but alas I have a Parkzone Radian that is calling me constantly to fly. I really love electric sailplanes.

Bob
Apr 05, 2010, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown3rd
Beautiful work. That is going to be a nice Lazy Boy. The wing is really nice. I like your construction techniques. My Lazy Boy sits almost finished with the KFM wing but alas I have a Parkzone Radian that is calling me constantly to fly. I really love electric sailplanes.

Bob
Hi Bob,

this is going to be my fourth electric plane and also the fourth made of foam material. Until previous year I had built planes with classic building techniques and powered by combustion engines only. I love electric flying as well.

Regards
Paul
Apr 05, 2010, 02:59 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Anyone have a good source for folding props for this plane? I know HK has some, but they are often out of stock. I'm looking for inexpensive options suitable for a plane like this.
Apr 05, 2010, 03:27 PM
Jack
Bigster,

I think you are inevitabley going to wind up using Graupner CAM blades or maybe the very similar Aeronaut blades.

I've been flying the Blu Sail II foamie glider (60" wingspan, KFm3) with a fixed prop on a prop saver for a few weeks now while working out the details on the folding prop I needed.

I had some trouble figuring it out and finding the bits and pieces but I finally got it all sorted out. I just finished posting the details on that on another thread so I'll link to that instead of posting it all over again here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2536

I am *very* happy with the BB spinner/yoke assembly I descibe there and the Graupner CAM blades too. They are really performing well. Because I wound up having to buy in two places it cost me about $30 or so to get a prop on that plane. I get a little sticker shock at the cost but I view it as a long term purchase that should last forever.

And now that I have gotten myself thoroughly addicted to gliders, I know that I'll get plenty of use out of it.

Jack
Apr 05, 2010, 04:07 PM
Well, now that you know ...
That is a very nice setup, Jack.

I was drawn to the "lazy boy" since this is my first try at a sail plane (easy build) so it's merely a "dabble" at this point. I don't see myself as a glider person, so I'm not ready to commit to an expensive prop.
Apr 05, 2010, 05:22 PM
Hey Bigster,
Check this thread (#35), Paul mentioned in there, same place I got my prop and hub. I was working on a small foamy for my wife and got distracted from my Lazy Boy, I hope it will be ready by the end of this week.
Regards,
Last edited by hedwing; Apr 05, 2010 at 05:36 PM.
Apr 05, 2010, 06:45 PM
Jack
"..I was drawn to the "lazy boy" since this is my first try at a sail plane (easy build) so it's merely a "dabble" at this point. I don't see myself as a glider person, so I'm not ready to commit to an expensive prop..."

The Lazy Boy II is 78" the Blu Sail II is 60" but they are otherwise similar builds and have similar wing loadings. I think I chose the Blu Sail II because of it's smaller size.

I was not a glider person either but as soon as I got started with it I realized that I was going to get hooked. I think it is a more relaxing form of flying but it did not turn out to be dull or boring or less enjoyable as I thought it might be. You are focused on some different aspects of flight and also the conditions come more into play. It all sort of combines to get you very involved mentally and I think that is what I like about it.

Jack

Quick Reply