Aug 23, 2021, 09:34 AM
stegl
Oh , yes . A lot of features that many have never looked at or know , exist . Doesn’t come cheap though. Built for serious flyers with the widest range of telemetry options out there . Bought mine originally for turbine aircraft
And converting others over .
Last edited by stegl; Aug 25, 2021 at 06:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2021, 04:14 PM
The Little Wings
Well finally I joined the Wild club of Deuces flyers. Or something like that :-)

I restarted RC flying in 2013 after a 17 years hiatus, and one of the first things I got was the Phoenix Simulator. That, an a Calmato trainer were a good kick start. Soon I started exploring the other planes in Phoenix, and there was this cool twin plane. The Deuces Wild.
In 2013 it was already obsolete and this plane got added to the "if only I would find one". Here in Europe it seems even harder. Until a couple of weeks ago, via a FB ad.
A complete, almost brand new DW. Complete with setup, but no retracts for about $250.

It was worth the 4hrs of car travel to pick it up. (I'm from Belgium, but the plane was sold in the North of France).

It was in great conditition, only a small crack in the balsa up front, but that was a 10 second fix.

As a setup it has 2xSk3 4240-kv=740, 60A ESC. 9x7,5 props were mounted, way too small.
I had 2 12x8 APC-e laying around, and I know this prop works very well with that motor on a 4S LiPo, so I put them on. Might try 11x10 in future.

I had a bad feeling about the ESC's, they seemed to loose sync. There was no type number of brand on the ESC, so I couldn't find out which brand they were. Switched them out for two new ones, sync issues over.

Checking everything inside out, putting a receiver in it, setting up the travels, expo etc....

I have 4S 4400 and 4S 5000 laying around, with the 4400, the CG is just spot on.

Last weekend it was just excellent weather, too good not to try the DW...

Last checks, deep breath, off she went. Needed to trim it a bit up, CG is just where I like it. Tracks like an arrow. Full flaps need a bit more down elevator mixed in but it was controllable. First landing was a kiss landing. Awesome.

Dialing in some extra down mix on full flaps. Second flight.... Just awesome!

Now I need some retracts. Would the .46 size three leg set of EFlite work with this? Not going air, always electric retracts for me....

Footage? Yes sir!

I joined the DW club, and damn proud of it :-)

E-Flite Deuces Wild @ TLW (2 min 28 sec)
Oct 20, 2021, 04:30 PM
Very nice! I'll have to get mine in the air one of these days.
Oct 20, 2021, 07:37 PM
Awesome.. Welcome to the club and expect the offers from others to buy it to start coming.
Oct 22, 2021, 10:49 PM
On the eflite retracts I’d highly recommend the 60-120 size.
I might add they are not cheap but can still be purchased separately ....Also a drop in fit and surprised that HH hasn’t discontinued those like everything else.
Last edited by Pilot Fatigue; Oct 23, 2021 at 01:36 PM.
Nov 08, 2021, 12:53 PM
stegl
They have discontinued them as a set but you can get buy, by buying the two mains and a nose wheel separate .; just not sold as a set. Having said that you may find a set at some hobby shops.

You mentioned that they are not cheap , correct in the fact that they are too much for the quality. I would rather go with JP's as far better quality. The issue I found with the Eflite's is ; the brass cross bar thread wears too fast and the system jams . They won't sell you just a part. Also I see they did beef up the trunion as the two legs that move the brass cross bar were a little weak and can tend to break . Again they won't sell you a part but a whole retract. A smart way for their bottom $$ line but not good for the consumer.
Last edited by stegl; Nov 08, 2021 at 01:00 PM.
Nov 19, 2021, 07:36 PM
Amazing how this forum is always active. Can’t say that about many of Horizons offerings that are as old as the DW
Nov 19, 2021, 07:53 PM
The thread is a lot more active than my DW! I've had mine for 7 or 8 years now, and it still hasn't flown.

Quick Reply