Mar 20, 2008, 09:06 PM
Gonna make a 20"er too since I have a few 1300kv bw motors no 10g at hand

David
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2008, 09:22 PM
Hey Frank,

I'm liking the looks of the new plane (planes). Man, your getting rather
prolific.*g* Three new planes introduced today? Wow!

I don't have any small motors so I increased the size just a bit and cut out
a 24 inch Nut Ball. Then late this afternoon I ran a couple of packs through
my SSS Dart. I had so much fun with it I vowed to put the Nut Ball on hold
until I get a few more flights on the Dart. If the Nut ball is as good as you
say, I may never fly the Dart again and I don't want to waste such a fun
flying plane.*G* To give you an idea, anyone that watched me fly last
week and then saw me fly yesterday and today would have been amazed
at the progress.*G* Hah! Tain't me, it's the forgiving platforms you are
designing. Keep up the good work! Warm regards, Jim
Mar 20, 2008, 09:43 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Ray: Rolls are a thing of beauty with the NB, as close to aileron rolls as you can get, almost axle.
Mar 20, 2008, 09:47 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by praymond
OK I had to glue this up when I came home from work. Paul
Hi there Paul, got ya again , you'll love it
Mar 20, 2008, 09:50 PM
LOL gguy, think I should gut out my original dart? Thinking from your glowing reports I won't be flying it much!!!???
Mar 20, 2008, 09:54 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Hey Jim, I've got more out in the shop needin' an introduction. Of all the foamies I have turned out, the Darts and the Pizza Box Flyers never ever bore me. This new one, the NutBall, looks like another. I've got about 40 minutes of stick time on it so far and it's a blast wacking the stick over every which way to see what it can do. Makes me want to laugh out loud, but then again, it is a LARF (low aspect ratio flyer).
Mar 20, 2008, 10:00 PM
Frank, are you up to more explaining. I am in agreement that my first attempt needed more elevator. I do want to try the way you did your elevator like Gene did too. But tell me how will the rounderness of your design cut through the wind better. I am not doubting as I have finished stripping my 17" first squirt to try out the NB. I also plan on borrowing my 17g motor from my 20" dart to test with. See the only thing about my Squirts so far that is not superior in most ways is the wind that it can fly in. My 20" dart is far superior in the amount of wind it can fly compared to the 19.5 elevon Squirt and the 18.75 RET. I just see more surface as even catching more wind. Could it be the difference in 17 degrees vs 24 degrees. (I know, just shut up and build) Sorry, for bugging with more questions, but for me the understanding as I go is almost as much fun as the flying. Pics attached for clarification.
Mar 20, 2008, 10:00 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by praymond
LOL gguy, think I should gut out my original dart? Thinking from your glowing reports I won't be flying it much!!!???
You be the judge. And if I wrong? Well, I guess it would be a box of good ol' Canadian beer to you. But I'm not too worried on this one, so I'll drink it myself in celeration, because this NutBall has BALLS.
Mar 20, 2008, 10:06 PM
TJC
TJC
Crossweave king
Nice one! I'll cut mine this afternoon. Going to go for a 19 inch as I'm expecting a weight of around 6-61/2. Its a shame to have to pull the gear out of one of my Darts but I cant resist this one.
Mar 20, 2008, 10:09 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
timber:

The lighter they are the more they get bounced around in the breeze. I move the battery forward, feed in a bit of down to penetrated and use more throttle. I don't think the shape of the wing platform plays much a roll when you consider it has a very blunt 90 degress flat leanding edge. But when the wing is positive, I'm sure that type of LE acts as a turbulator, like some gliders use. Maybe yes, maybe no.

We add loads of lead balast to our slopers on a windy day or they just wouldn't move forwards.

The 24 degrees, that important with just rudder, that what make it turn so well.
Mar 20, 2008, 10:15 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC
Nice one! I'll cut mine this afternoon. Its a shame to have to pull the gear out of one of my Darts but I cant resist this one.
It will never ever find it's way back.........another stripped dusty foamy in the corner.
Mar 20, 2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks Frank. That makes sense. I did find that all it took was a little more down. I am guessing its that wide flat plate vs the V that improves other things like flying inverterd, but perhaps requires more hands on flying in higher winds. Trade offs in everything I suppose.

Praymond, I think you will find that you might want a cross brace near the elevator. The body might flex and bind your elevator when doing high G tricks, at least on a similar plan it seemed to be affected. Dang, got to reading and didn't get a NB cut out and look at the time. I had planned to cut it out and re work my motor mount tonight.
Mar 20, 2008, 10:20 PM
Flying RC Models for 60 years.
Goldguy
Looks like you have started a BIG FIRE!! Everybody is on this one! I plan on building a 20" N B tomorrow. Haven't decided on EPP or FFF. May go with the FFF. A few more questions. In the picture of the landing gear it looks like you warped the leading edge of the EPP wing with flat CF, is this correct. Can you recommend a prop for the Axi 2204. Also is the reason for 2 cell packs over 3 cell packs a weight issue?

Thanks
Bobby
Mar 21, 2008, 01:10 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Bobby: That Picture your looking at is of my Ding-A-Ling and I posted it for the landing gear mounting idea. On my 20" NutBall, I just ran a few flats across the span at the front and back, just like the 17 incher pictures. Then one down the bottom on the spline. That's all for bracing. The LG is crossed over like an 'X' and lashed to the CF on the bottom and that provides loads of strength.

That is the new Axi 2205/54, the 1400kv one. I'm running a 9 X 3.8 and on 2S it hits maximum amps, I'm part throttle most of the time, but it's there when you need it. With 3S you can't go over an 8 X 3.8. Both prop sizes give about the same thrust, but I have more 2S (730s) than 3S (460s) in smaller packs and they weigh the same, but I get mush longer flights with the 2S.
Last edited by goldguy; Mar 21, 2008 at 02:02 AM.
Mar 21, 2008, 04:09 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Gold.....I always admire the attension to detail on your planes...
Is the black line round the LE a CF flat....Cf flat under the control horn ? Plaited servo wires........
Last edited by dekan; Mar 21, 2008 at 04:14 AM.

Quick Reply