to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2008, 06:57 AM
Registered HotGlue Addict
What a blast, TNX
Mar 20, 2008, 07:02 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
We tried this concept some time ago ..Works GREAT, even with the old (heavy) brushed motors and Nimh batts.. With the new (lighter,more powerful)stuff ,it should be TERIFFIC!!! I'm building a NutBall .. you bet !!! Thanks Gold!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ps. we found the taller the rudder the more it acted like ailerons...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Mar 20, 2008, 07:25 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Very nice Frank, exquisitely simple.

Tony
Mar 20, 2008, 08:07 AM
Thanks Frank. The only thing I might add from my experiments and what I learned from Gene yesterday is the motor mount placement. I believe it needs to be at or above the wingline. Do you agree? I think that is what I have been doing wrong with my squirts or I would be touting them as the perfect plane. I am glad you finally got up a thread. I also believe your rudder and your amount of dihedral will be improvements. The 17" size is great to throw on your front seat.
Mar 20, 2008, 08:31 AM
So its just rudder and elevator!

Cool!

thogh, I might add elevons later...
Mar 20, 2008, 08:37 AM
Looks great! Looking forward to seeing some vids of it flying.
Thanks!
Mar 20, 2008, 08:43 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Tym. I have never had any trouble with the thrust line on Darts or my R1
TL on the Dart is about 3/4" below the wing.....R1 is centered.

The main thing I have found with Darts and similar is to have 3 to 5 degrees down thrust
Last edited by dekan; Mar 20, 2008 at 09:12 AM.
Mar 20, 2008, 10:32 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrugen
Kinda a newby to Darting, Just finished # 6! So I need a little help. I "discovered "Hobby City and am now Platimum. Cant beat em. The 3.7 servos they sell are EM.
In your list you used EU 3.7 servos. Are these the same or did you find a better source than HC?
Thanks for the help. Just got a batch of .9 hot cut EPP. Time to build a round one.

It was late, yup, they're EMs.
Mar 20, 2008, 10:41 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywellnz
I have my EPP ready to cut!
How are you doing the control horns? (close up pic would be great)

I use those el cheapo single pin ones from HC. I first cut a slit into the EPP, glue in a piece of CF flat, then poke a hole right next to it, so when the hindge is pushed in, the shoulder rests on the CF....all done with hot melt glue and a Monokote trim iron.

Before I just soaked thin ply with CA and cut them out with sissors, making the wide enough where they are glued to add stiffness to the flying surface.
Mar 20, 2008, 10:46 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstShirt
Frank, I love the Dart and I thought the R1 was even better. Can't wait to try your NB. I love your innovation on the fuse bracing and the v-grove construction technique. The latter sounds like something I'll want to practice before giving it a try on a larger piece of epp. Thanks! Pat
Pat: I posted some pixs of how it's done in the 'EPP tricks n' tips'. It's works like a charm and takes only seconds to do all the grovin'. You get the hindges and the dihedral joint perfect eveytime.

Frank
Mar 20, 2008, 11:00 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Gene: How many beers do I owe you now? Thanks again.
Last edited by goldguy; Jul 25, 2008 at 10:28 AM.
Mar 20, 2008, 11:09 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchone, Jake
So its just rudder and elevator!

Cool!

thogh, I might add elevons later...

That's easy, to make an elevon flattie fly aerobatics, they're supposed to do that. When the other guys see your NutBall fly, they wouldn't believe you can do all that with just rudder and elevator. That's what make a Dart or NutBall unique and special.
Mar 20, 2008, 11:15 AM
Where's the video?
Mar 20, 2008, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
It was late, yup, they're EMs.
Hey, I know late.
Thanks for helping the new guy!! As soon as I get my Purple Bill Lowe Ghost done Ill be using Genos plans!

Thanks again for the help and the thread.

Quick Reply