Apr 21, 2011, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A
I got tired of constantly breaking GWS slow fly props so I ordered some GWS direct drive props. I have blue wonder motors with 3mm shafts and prop savers and the slow fly 9 x 4.7 props fit fine. The direct drive props however are way too loose to work. Am I stuck with using slow fly props or is there a way to modify the more sturdy direct drive props to make them work?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Bob
Well, I ordered some of the PS3B prop savers from Strong RC and they have already arrived. However, I suspect I have gone from a "sloppy" fit to too tight on the GWS DD props. The 7MM side of the prop saver is a snug enough fit that I'm afraid the prop will break before it pops free from the prop saver. Should I ream out the prop for a loose slip fit, taper the 7MM boss on the prop saver or ? How do you more experienced guys handle this problem (if it really is a problem)?

Thanks,

Bob
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2011, 04:49 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
You can always mod the shoulder on the wobbly. Mount it on a shaft and that into your moto tool or a drill, then run it against a file. Done lots........works.
Apr 21, 2011, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A
... However, I suspect I have gone from a "sloppy" fit to too tight on the GWS DD props. The 7MM side of the prop saver is a snug enough fit that I'm afraid the prop will break before it pops free from the prop saver. Should I ream out the prop for a loose slip fit, taper the 7MM boss on the prop saver or ? How do you more experienced guys handle this problem (if it really is a problem)?
I know what you're talking about and it's not a problem. I have these savers and props on a few models and haven't broken any yet. They always pop off when they're supposed to.
Apr 22, 2011, 04:00 PM
When pigs fly rc
mega nb UFO (5 min 54 sec)

The mega nutball has a test flight. 34 inches wide and 36 inches long
Apr 22, 2011, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlpenney
I know what you're talking about and it's not a problem. I have these savers and props on a few models and haven't broken any yet. They always pop off when they're supposed to.
+1

The fit is a bit snug, but the saver still works as intended. IMHO nothing to worry about.
Apr 24, 2011, 01:54 AM
@rrich: your nb is really slow. love it
Apr 24, 2011, 07:32 AM
When pigs fly rc
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycoldface
@rrich: your nb is really slow. love it
Thanks, Im real happy with it so far. I have just finished lighting it and will test it at night. rich
Apr 25, 2011, 04:30 AM
Always good big or small...This old lump is 30+oz and floats around great... Ive since given this away and downsized to a 20oz 26" lump that is more agile... with all nutballs... bigger is more docile, heavier is better in the wind and all are great..
day
36 KFm4Nutball (5 min 34 sec)

and at night..there is no problem with orientation.. but what lights up better is a CF and fabric nightkite version..and these turn out light in weight and go even better... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1033223

36" KFm4 nutball night flight (2 min 21 sec)
Last edited by davereap; Apr 25, 2011 at 04:45 AM.
Apr 25, 2011, 02:27 PM
repeat foam bender
Wow rich, that video isn't so much to be watched as to be "beheld"! The jumbo NB is just awesome! You must be well pleased.

I'm trying to teach my sons to fly with 17.5" NBs, but good and predictable as they are, they're still a bit quick for inexperienced hands. But the jumbo, now that looks perfect as a trainer. Hrrm, considering...
Apr 25, 2011, 03:02 PM
When pigs fly rc
Ruddym,
GLAD YOU LIKED IT.
My daughter who is 8 yrs old was able to fly it. It is FUN.... When I gave her the sticks I dialed out alot of the down throw on the elevator which helped alot.
Rich
Apr 25, 2011, 03:20 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
8 or 80, the NutBall doesn't care, as long as it puts a silly grin on your face, like this...........
Apr 25, 2011, 03:35 PM
When pigs fly rc
I have been thinking about a 60 inch NB but will be for flying at the house only because it wont fit in my car. Unless I can make the wings come off. rich
Apr 25, 2011, 06:27 PM
Hi Guys. I,ve only been flying and doing no building till i poked my 600mm NB into the soil and was forced into another build. This time with depron hard to get in my neck of the woods i made the wing from styrofoam and depron for the fuse that i cut from the wing of the wreck of the other NB. the whole build was using TLAR for most of it and it came out at 620mm with the tips up at 20 deg. Ive fitted a turnigy 1000kv motor and a 10x4.7 apc sf prop.using a 3s 800mh with auw 355grams. when finished and sitting on the bench i thought it looked a bit russian so i went with the red star on the tail. Flys as only a nutball can and opens my wind range up at the park. Think i'll stick with old school sportster look. Thanks again frank your a gem for giving us such a fun plane to fly you got your name in foamie history books. Kyle
Last edited by Slipa; May 04, 2011 at 07:13 PM. Reason: more pics
Apr 25, 2011, 07:57 PM
When pigs fly rc
led night flyer rc (3 min 37 sec)

quick test with lights on large nutball
Apr 26, 2011, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipa
Hi Guys. I,ve only been flying and doing no building till i poked my 600mm NB into the soil and was forced into another build. This time with depron hard to get in my neck of the woods i made the wing from styrofoam and depron for the fuse that i cut from the wing of the wreck of the other NB. the whole build was using TLAR for most of it and it came out at 620mm with the tips up at 20 deg. Ive fitted a turnigy 1000kv motor and a 10x4.7 apc sf prop.using a 3s 800mh with auw 355grams. when finished and sitting on the bench i thought it looked a bit russian so i went with the red star on the tail. Flys as only a nutball can and opens my wind range up at the park. Think i'll stick with old school sportster look. Thanks again frank your a gem for giving us such a fun plane to fly you got your name in foamie history books. Kyle
Nice twist on a NB fuse definitely like the Red Star look.

Quick Reply