Dec 09, 2008, 11:28 AM
BUILDIN-FLYIN-CRASHIN-FUN
Petrik59, once you have found your CG point, as you install your components,keep the NB balanced at that point,by moving the components back and foreward, and i do side to side as well ,take your time,if its done correctly,then the battery will place right on the CG point,then you can use different batteries to change . The motor should be installed first, so you can place the other components to counter-act its weight ,to keep the CG point . once completed, you will still have to trim fly it. The more time and precise you can get this trim, the easier and more ability your NB will perform.now, every pilot kinda flies alittle different,but when you get this done, you will be to the stage of where you can make your choice of how you want to fly the NB. Hope this helps.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2008, 01:19 PM
I am new to the electric side of things and am having a hard time sorting out the proper size motor, prop, battery and servo for a 20" NB. I have searched for the information and found some, I just can not seem to put it all together( to many choices-variations).
This is my first foray into electrics and any help is appreciated.
Dec 09, 2008, 03:31 PM
Reap the wild wind
Welcome scudder
A blue wonder 1300 kv brushless motor , 800-1000 MAh 2/3 cell battery,9 gram servos,10 - 15 amp ESC & 4 channel RX would seem a good starting point. If using a 2 cell lipo then a prop around 9x4.7 should be suitable. For 3 cell an 8x4 works well. I'm sure others have their own ideas so all please feel free to start posting!
Andy
Last edited by headlessagain; Dec 09, 2008 at 03:40 PM.
Dec 09, 2008, 04:01 PM
I writed something wrong my Cg is correct. 1/4 of the total lenght (1/3 is for another plane).
Anyway today I moved forward the c.g about 10mm.
The first fly was very nice...short but nice... around 15sec...
At the second try, I totaly destroy the front on the nutball. I throw it without enough power it went right to the ground.
I made a protection around the prop in heavy duty cardboard. It is a bit heavy 23gr, but i want fly more than 20sec...
Dec 09, 2008, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain
Welcome scudder
A blue wonder 1300 kv brushless motor , 800-1000 MAh 2/3 cell battery,9 gram servos,10 - 15 amp ESC & 4 channel RX would seem a good starting point. If using a 2 cell lipo then a prop around 9x4.7 should be suitable. For 3 cell an 8x4 works well. I'm sure others have their own ideas so all please feel free to start posting!
Andy
I am using a 2 cell lipo with a 8x4 prop and it is already to fast for me...:b

I have stupide question. What is the advantage to have a 3cell lipo with a 8x4prop vs a 2cell lipo and 9x4.7prop
Dec 09, 2008, 06:17 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
One Five Six:

If your NutBall is straight, balanced at 25% and has a few degrees of down thrust in the motor, it will fly all by itself, without your help.

From what you've posted, sounds like a motor thrust problem.

Two cell vs three cell..........
Since it's the voltage that tells the motor how fast to turn, more voltage means higher RPM and a higher RPM means a smaller prop to keep the amps down. The smaller prop will make the model fly faster, the bigger prop allows for slower flight and that extra cell adds weight for slow flying.

Frank
Last edited by goldguy; Dec 09, 2008 at 06:25 PM.
Dec 09, 2008, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid156
You don't have to fly WOT I fly my 17" with a 8x4 prop attached to a 1700kv BW with a 500 mah 2s. It cruises along just fine at about 40% throttle and will get moving at WOT.
Dec 09, 2008, 07:16 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdno
You don't have to fly WOT I fly my 17" with a 8x4 prop attached to a 1700kv BW with a 500 mah 2s. It cruises along just fine at about 40% throttle and will get moving at WOT.

Throttle?? That seems to be a big problem with beginners.

I can set the throttle about 1/3, place the model and TX on the ground, let go, watch it take off all on it's own and free flight around until I 'chicken out'.

So, it's not the NutBall that causes the crashin' n bashin', but the pilot.
Dec 09, 2008, 07:19 PM
Out the Window
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid156

I have stupide question. What is the advantage to have a 3cell lipo with a 8x4prop vs a 2cell lipo and 9x4.7prop
I see you are using the "Blue Wonder" 1300 motor. I am using the same motor on my NutBall and can tell you my experience. I use a 2 cell 800 lipo with a 9X4.7 prop and a 3 cell 800 lipo with a 8X4.3 prop. I would suggest a larger prop with a 2 cell lipo than the 8X4, try a 9X4.7 and you will have plenty of power and it should not fly too quickly. If you move up to a 3 cell with a 8X4.3 prop you will have a lot more power (read more fun after a little experience), but it will fly very fast. The combination of the heavier battery and the smaller prop will want to go faster. Try reduced rates on the elevator and rudder to start out.....it does react very quickly. I had a lot of trouble controlling the airplane before I reduced the rates, but after a while you will be increasing the rates!!

I am far from an expert, but that has been my experience with the NutBall and the "Blue Wonder". Here is a video of my NutBall flying with close to your setup:

(2 min 17 sec)

You are going to love the airplane,
Ray
Last edited by High Flyin'; Dec 09, 2008 at 07:24 PM.
Dec 10, 2008, 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
One Five Six:

If your NutBall is straight, balanced at 25% and has a few degrees of down thrust in the motor, it will fly all by itself, without your help.

From what you've posted, sounds like a motor thrust problem.

Two cell vs three cell..........
Since it's the voltage that tells the motor how fast to turn, more voltage means higher RPM and a higher RPM means a smaller prop to keep the amps down. The smaller prop will make the model fly faster, the bigger prop allows for slower flight and that extra cell adds weight for slow flying.

Frank
Hi,
I am sure that my nutball flies perfect (maybe just a lack of power). The problem is me. The first fly was very nice, but I was flying between 1m and 2m high. So I had no time to do corrections. Moreover I am confusing with the throttle and the elevator....

I do not understant what I put in black ? Extra weights should increase the speed ?
But why took a 3cell lipos ? It is not a better solution to take a motor with a higher kv or a prop with more angle (=9xX) ?
Last edited by Cid156; Dec 10, 2008 at 04:07 AM.
Dec 10, 2008, 04:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flyin'
I see you are using the "Blue Wonder" 1300 motor. I am using the same motor on my NutBall and can tell you my experience. I use a 2 cell 800 lipo with a 9X4.7 prop and a 3 cell 800 lipo with a 8X4.3 prop. I would suggest a larger prop with a 2 cell lipo than the 8X4, try a 9X4.7 and you will have plenty of power and it should not fly too quickly. If you move up to a 3 cell with a 8X4.3 prop you will have a lot more power (read more fun after a little experience), but it will fly very fast. The combination of the heavier battery and the smaller prop will want to go faster. Try reduced rates on the elevator and rudder to start out.....it does react very quickly. I had a lot of trouble controlling the airplane before I reduced the rates, but after a while you will be increasing the rates!!

I am far from an expert, but that has been my experience with the NutBall and the "Blue Wonder". Here is a video of my NutBall flying with close to your setup:

You are going to love the airplane,
Ray
I have 9x4.7 in stock but I built a protection around the prop (8x4) and the 9x4.7 will not fit. What do you think about using a 3cell lipo with my 8x4. I think that it will going to fast.....
Dec 10, 2008, 05:02 AM
Hi Folks,
could some one advise on a rewind of a 5gm brushless. I have a couple laying around that look very second hand and would like to build a baby nutball. I have wound brushless years ago when they were too expensive to buy ready built. I have access to wire and it is the wet season where I live so this equates to little flying and lots of bench time.

Ray
Dec 10, 2008, 08:05 AM
8x4 on 3cell using the 1300kv motor will be more than fine, plenty of thrust, I have measured 13oz average at a 6A draw, so with most 20" NB's you will be at better than 1:1 and have good vertical... Dont worry about it going too fast...thats what your throttle is for... less than half power will give a nice cruising speed...the 9x4.7 also works well on 3 cell, gives more thrust for powering up and away after a slow speed pass..I actually prefer the 9x4.7 on 3 cell for the nutball, because of the extra slow speed thrust and it seems a bit quieter

with any model increasing its weight (AUW) will result in it needing to fly that bit faster, so the extra cell will result in a need for extra lift and this is normaly acheived by going that bit faster

The smaller the model the more noticable this result is. However on a 20" NB you will be pushed to actually notice much. With the better batteries we now enjoy, you can use a smaller capacity 3 cell and keep the same AUW

The other thing is the Nutball is a great High Alpha (nose high) model. To go very slow, first slow down then pull back a bit on the stick to get the nose up, then use your throttle as a ballance to keep it up..more throttle to climb..less to descend.. It amazed me the first time just how slow and stable the thing is.

When you want to play at mostly slow speeds ( indoors etc.) the bigger props on 2 cell have a slight advantage as the bigger props produce more thrust at slow speeds and also you will be at a lower AUW and so can fly that bit slower...

but all of them will fly it ok.

I have used the 8x4 setup on a 30" NB with no problems, it just didnt give it much vertical go..
just remember to throttle down to a comfortable speed..

also I have found that standard 5gm servos are more than good enough for small Nutballs and these will save a bit of weight..

Heres my 24" on the 1300BW 3cell 8x4 setup ..fighting a strong breese, going nowhere much..It wasnt struggling at all, I was playing throttle with elevator to kite it in the wind..Power up and it would wizz away no problems..

nutball rc flying saucer (1 min 12 sec)
Last edited by davereap; Dec 10, 2008 at 08:57 AM.
Dec 10, 2008, 02:00 PM
Foam Rules, Gravity Sucks
Here's mine....................made out of bits and pieces released from two "retired" planes. 22" span.

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic....l_Over_Web.jpg

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic...._Under_Web.jpg

That's a 1800kV Blue Wonder on the front. Made entirely from "released" bits and pieces.

Maiden tomorrow morning...................Sports Hall..........

Oh, and:-

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic....oalike_Web.jpg

Nutball with a Modified Flyingwings.co.uk Bongo, wide point taken back to make it LESS stable...............flies very well, torque rolls nicely.

Themed paint, Eh?? "Fire and Ice"......................
Dec 11, 2008, 03:56 AM
Foam Rules, Gravity Sucks
Flew it this morning.

Needed a bit of "reflex" to cruise well, otherwise flew off straight and true. I increased the rudder throw to max after the first flight, and will be putting a longer arm on the elevator servo, but only for loony tunes stuff.

Reprise: Mine is made from a 22" disc, going the big stable route, so it'll need a big shove in terms throws at very slow speeds to get ballistic rotation!!!

Found out quickly that it is MEGA stable down low, even with the warm air heating doing it's very best, I could poodle around the hall less than a foot up, using the dihedral to keep ground clearance on turns.

Will be able to do the equivalent training style I do with the Contra Heli's where I have adopted a process where the kid "flies" very very close to the ground with me ready to push the throttle shut (as no time for buddy to work)

This plane would make (WILL MAKE) a SUPERB indoor trainer for kids or adults!!!!!!
Even with the heating turbulence, it was going the length of the (very small) hall hands off, and so after a quick offset to trims I had it circling and put the transmitter down on the ground. This is the ONLY plane that I have felt comfortable doing that with in such a small space!!!!! AND on a maiden flight!!!

Flew it both 500mAh 2S AND 3S.................prop hangs on either but easier with the greater power. Loops nicely (but needs more elevator).

Very successful maiden..........it will fly again tomorrow early with more throws!!

Quick Reply