Mar 25, 2008, 08:50 PM
Frank, the dihedral made all the difference. Although the squirt with 17 degrees made a trainer type that was more difficult to roll. The 24ish degrees is much more "squirrely" fun with the tail back. I need to buy a motor to finish the NB or steal from a dart. Tough decision.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 25, 2008, 11:10 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
I try to use a universal mounting system so I can swap motors between models.
Mar 25, 2008, 11:51 PM
fun = win
As luck would have it, the motor I was going to use for my nutball is kaput. Practically new, too. Damn cheap motors... and I don't have a replacement or the money for one. Looks like my foray into the world of LARF is on hold indefinately.
Mar 26, 2008, 12:19 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
weasel: check your PM
Last edited by goldguy; Mar 26, 2008 at 02:31 AM.
Mar 26, 2008, 01:22 AM
Looks like somebody is gettin' a motor.

- Jeff
Mar 26, 2008, 06:57 AM
London Ontario Canada
Hey, nice looking video, and I see Frank caught that guy driving through your flying area, what nerve is right.... sheeeeeesh!
Now, are you gonna enter the Dart postal? Your flights were almost what's required for it....
Next time, have someone do the videoing, it will catch ALL your flight....
And, as for the rest of us, Gene sent a video to me this morning that would make you laugh all the way to the post office to get that second motor.....
Frank, did you by any chance get a video of your windy flight?
Mar 26, 2008, 10:51 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Naw, no vid. I just happened to look out the shop window to see that the tops of the trees were pointing straight up again, so I grabbed my NB and ran for the street.

I'm wonder what the neighbours think........."Ah, there's that nutball up on top of the hill playin' with his toy airplane again". They think a grown sane (??) man should be playing with golf balls, not NutBalls.
Mar 26, 2008, 12:06 PM
Im building a 21 incher.All I have to do is strap gear on it and pray for a break in the wind.K! What does root cord mean?

"They think a grown sane (??) man should be playing with golf balls, not NutBalls."

That is exactly what my pops thinks!
Last edited by buzzbait00; Mar 26, 2008 at 12:12 PM.
Mar 26, 2008, 12:58 PM
London Ontario Canada
Well, finally finished the 12" NB and am ready to fly tomorrow night at the school..
Now, and Gene pointed out, it aint legal for the dart postal, so, will take my 20" CatScan with me and hope the hall aint too small...
Mar 26, 2008, 01:25 PM
Blind Hawk
Here's my attempt. Had cut the dollar tree board out before goldguy nailed it with the round shape. Hope the squared off back end won't mater. 17" wide, tried to follow these specs for the rest of the build. Tail and spine epp.

4.25oz AUW w/2S-360. Motor is 10gr w/6A esc and two 3.7gr servos. Prop is a 7x4.

Flew first time last night. Was a bit of wind (5 mph maybe) and the cg was too far back. Used a 640mah battery and the balance was better. Afterward moved my rx forward and added the landing gear and I think the cg is closer. Might have to move the servos forward. Need time and calm to test more.

Hoping for a new plane for the indoor/front yard fleet.

BTW - All bracing is done with plastic banding strap. Top/bottom of wing in two places and top/bottom of spine. Cheap and strong. Maybe slightly heavier than cf but not much.

Thanks for the simple/great design.

RdJay
Mar 26, 2008, 05:56 PM
Question for youse guys who have used colored tape for decoration. I just got a box of 6 rolls, I taped the underside wing tips with bright yellow. (Epp NB btw) And of course it isn't sticking. So I figure I'll give it a shot with some spray adhesive. My question is do I need to mask off the rest where I am not putting tape? Like I was gonna do a paint job?

Thanks in advance

David
Mar 26, 2008, 06:30 PM
Build 2 Bounce!
Wow, this thread's growing fast! Some great builds appearing

David, I find it better to spray the adhesive (3M77 in my case) onto the sticky side of the tape and then apply it to the foam and trim off any excess. If you're going to spray the foam then i'd definately mask it first.

Si.
Mar 26, 2008, 06:33 PM
FT

<Slapping forehead with palm of hand> DUH! LOL

Thanks

David
Mar 26, 2008, 07:22 PM
Crash Master
Went 'Balls to the Wall' this evening in the street, yard, roof, and trees CG wanted to be about 30%... 35% was too much.

'Purple Pimple Eater' (C2024-1600) motor sucks, don't bother.

Film at 11 (or 12), got some editing to do.
Mar 26, 2008, 07:53 PM
Gene I have found something similiar on my squirt tonight. On a dart you can move that batter back a long way it seems. I have less travel. I was trying to be Frank (very close up flying) this evening. Had nice High alpha and got a little confused was rather low. I hopped over it but lost sight and it messed up my only 9x4.7 prop. I am going to get some 9050s.

Okay now to my post. I stripped my 20" dart which really isn't much as I leave the motor mount and the servos. The esc and rx is just velcroed on and I have a base antenna in a coffee stirrer. Before going to the nutball, I decided to take off the kf step, move the motor up to the wing line, and moved servos closer to the nose along with 25 degree dihedral on the 17" squirt. Something I like about foam board and hot glue is that you can just peel out the old glue, but it stays in place well. Unlike EPP that seems to bond more permanently. Why am I posting this here instead of my thread. It is too alleviate any ideas to build in washout by not keeping the dihedral breaks parallel to the center line. This makes for less smooth transitions in turns. Things seem to be more jerky than the 18.75" squirt that is parallel. The nutball will get the gear next. I would put it in my squirt fish, but the dihedral is not parallel either.
My 17" squirt was 120g without battery. I am shooting for 110 to 115 on the NB. 17g motor, 5g tower pro, lazertoyz esc, and vampower rx.

Quick Reply