May 17, 2020, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixx
I have decided to go with the flite test pattern for this, I know they ripped gold guy off, but as this is for a 10yr old and I have no EPP at the moment I need to make something modular as he will crash it
For a simple, easy, expendable Nutball just use DTFB with the paper on. Itís a bit heavy but you wonít need any extra stiffening on a 20Ē size. And you really donít need a pattern- itís a disc. Look back a few pages at my latest. Just a disc of foam, a spine for a fuselage, and a fin/rudder. Mount the electronics on top or the side with velcro or hot glue, and velcro for the battery to adjust cg. Landing gear optional, probably not neede for a beginner anyway. .

Just make sure you put in some downthrust, itís essential. When FT plagiarized the design, for some reason they left the downthrust off. Otherwise, donít overthink it. Have fun.

Cheers,
Dave
to remove ads between posts
May 17, 2020, 08:24 PM
crash expert
Hi Dave
thanks for the tip re down thrust, I wont forget to add some. I once made a FT one without it and it was less than perfect
May 18, 2020, 01:18 AM
Mark Harrison
Quote:
I have decided to go with the flite test pattern for this, I know they ripped gold guy off, but as this is for a 10yr old and I have no EPP at the moment I need to make something modular as he will crash it
I would still go with the original GG design... lightness makes it fly well, and the modular system doesn't add any value. Cutting one out and gluing it up from foamboard is quick, and hot glue repairs are quick too.

Just IMHO!
May 18, 2020, 06:38 AM
Pass me that hammer...........
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar
I would still go with the original GG design... lightness makes it fly well, and the modular system doesn't add any value. Cutting one out and gluing it up from foamboard is quick, and hot glue repairs are quick too.

Just IMHO!

I would also go with the original goldguy design for exactly the same reason, plus I have smashed up numerous Nutballs but never ever damaged servo-control surface parts or the airframe itself. Thats almost true... sometimes I've had to patch the airframe up where fences and trees ate lumps out. But the flit test modular approach adds nothing useful as far as I can see and will add unnecessary weight.
May 18, 2020, 06:58 AM
crash expert
Wee man wants the flight test one.
I will build him that and build myself gold guys design.

The wee fella likes their videos. It's cool to see him enthused.

Will be cool to compare the 2 side by side
May 18, 2020, 07:10 AM
Build more, websurf less
Found suitable "axles". Now the larger wheels provide good clearance for the 13" prop. Note plugged holes from original servo placement near the CG. Always save the cutouts until you're done.
Last edited by FlyingW; May 18, 2020 at 09:30 PM.
May 18, 2020, 07:15 AM
Pass me that hammer...........
Quote:

Thats a good idea..... it will be interesting to see how they compare.

If you use a prop saver you don't need landing gear (LG) and that saves weight and the Nutball flys better without LG.

And, of course, if you don't have LG its another thing that you can't damage in crashes!

Having said that, I like LG, though many prefer it without.

Depron (or DTF) is way better than EPP in my view anyway - it is lighter and stiffer (weight for weight) and dead simple to patch up.

Even when apparently badly damaged, a Nutball with cracks, dents, creases and lumps torn out still flies astonishingly well - just doesn't look as if it would still fly, but somehow it does!
May 18, 2020, 07:15 AM
Learning to make
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW
Found suitable "axles". Now the larger wheels provide good clearance for the 13" prop. Not plugged holes from original servo placement near the CG. Always save the cutouts until you're done.
That's an impressive sight!
May 18, 2020, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pardshaw
Even when apparently badly damaged, a Nutball with cracks, dents, creases and lumps torn out still flies astonishingly well - just doesn't look as if it would still fly, but somehow it does!
Agreed, in fact sometimes they seem to fly better the more patched up they are!

My first NB was a flite test version, it was a heavy but it still flew fine, and I had a lot of fun with it. Build what you want, or more to the point, what the boy wants. Savor it, I wish my own sons had shared my love for flying machines.

Cheers,
Dave
May 18, 2020, 04:01 PM
Build more, websurf less
Quote:

Agreed. Delighting the wee man is a high and important calling.
May 18, 2020, 04:48 PM
crash expert
Another question,
Going thru my box of bits I have a 3s and a 4s 2200mAh battery....

I was thinking, would a 34" nutball support one of these batteries? I have motors and ESCs galore.

I also have a large sheet of 10mm foamboard I could use to build this.

Sorry for all the dumb questions, it has been 4 years away from the hobby, my brain is rusty.
Last edited by felixx; May 18, 2020 at 05:00 PM.
May 18, 2020, 06:27 PM
Mark Harrison
Quote:
Agreed. Delighting the wee man is a high and important calling.
Indeed, and best of luck to him!
May 18, 2020, 08:55 PM
Build more, websurf less
Quote:
Another question,
Going thru my box of bits I have a 3s and a 4s 2200mAh battery....

I was thinking, would a 34" nutball support one of these batteries? I have motors and ESCs galore.

I also have a large sheet of 10mm foamboard I could use to build this.

Sorry for all the dumb questions, it has been 4 years away from the hobby, my brain is rusty.
felixx,

I think that would work. I flew my 40" one with a three cell A123 pack, 5-ounce 1,000Kv motor, 13x5.5 prop and it had plenty of oomph.

Mount the motor and servos after making the basic airframe; position them to achieve the CG.

What kind of motor do you plan to use?

Good luck,

Paul
May 18, 2020, 08:59 PM
Build more, websurf less
Flew the 40" Nutball this evening and it flies exactly like a Nutball. Even with the big wheels it could barely ROG from the grass field which had grown long.

Here's a very NB fly-by.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y2_...ew?usp=sharing
May 18, 2020, 09:03 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Flew the 40" Nutball this evening and it flies exactly like a Nutball. Even with the big wheels it could barely ROG from the grass field which had grown long.

Here's a very NB fly-by.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y2_...ew?usp=sharing
Slow-n-low .....

Quick Reply