Jun 07, 2019, 10:29 AM
Up! Up! And Away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Let's not forget the actual query ……………………….

I think we're straying a bit here. All he wants are the recommended control inputs for 'what he has' as he lost the setting in his TX .
Looks like he found the throws and added "Extra tips are appreciated!" Indeed, for a child new to rc flying, less power for weight and a hight lift to power ratio with more wing area are excellent tips.

Other ways to get there are to reduce throws further and/or increase expo and especially to reduce throw on the throttle channel in combination with the lowest cell count bat on which it will fly. Trade-offs will include the need for a bigger area and less wind and especially remembering and planning to keep it upwind.
Last edited by GottaZoom; Jun 07, 2019 at 11:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2019, 09:48 AM
I want to say thanks to you all for the extra tips. It even inspired me to build a Ezflyer for my son.
I didn't try the new settings (we had a storm) but I'm confident that it will fly better than my old settings (the old was flying like a sinusoid). With these settings and cg it will fly better than the old one.

Thx to you all and greetings from Europe.
Jun 10, 2019, 02:34 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by humptydumpty
I want to say thanks to you all for the extra tips. It even inspired me to build a Ezflyer for my son.
I didn't try the new settings (we had a storm) but I'm confident that it will fly better than my old settings (the old was flying like a sinusoid). With these settings and cg it will fly better than the old one.

Thx to you all and greetings from Europe.
If you need any help with the EzFly , let me know .... I'll be glad to help .
Jul 03, 2019, 04:52 PM
After investigating under 250 gm designs, decided to weigh my Nutball ready to fly with battery and prop. Amazing, 220 grams on the digital scale.

The XS Dart weighed 230 grams with 3s700.
Jul 04, 2019, 12:22 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
I'm all 250 grams or under. There's lots of amazing designs in this class. And, the best part is that they fly as good as or better them most big birds.

I've come full circle starting off with small, then tried all power modes in medium, large and extra large designs, now back to the real fun stuff (for me that is). It only took me about 50 years to do it.
Jul 04, 2019, 12:30 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
By the way, this had nothing to do with the new rules/laws here in Canada. I started the changeover way before things got silly. It's mostly a result of getting my fill of toy airplane politics.
Jul 04, 2019, 02:49 PM
I have been flying small electric airplanes since turn of century. Started with speed 400 DD, then IPS and EPS GWS power systems, finally brushless. Never tried to hit a particular weight.

The Nutball and XSDart are built with DTF (paper on), mainly cuz am lazy. And they are just as much fun to fly as the 4star 120 owned many years ago.
Jul 04, 2019, 10:33 PM
He who stalls....falls!
Quote:
I'm all 250 grams or under. There's lots of amazing designs in this class. And, the best part is that they fly as good as or better them most big birds.

I've come full circle starting off with small, then tried all power modes in medium, large and extra large designs, now back to the real fun stuff (for me that is). It only took me about 50 years to do it.
Agree totally with both paragraphs!

Seems we did about the same circle in the same time-frame.

ps- finally building my first Nut-ball, all good things take time to happen!

cheers
Jul 06, 2019, 01:01 AM
Quote:

+1.......following the same pattern here....
whist I admire the big birds they do limit where you can fly.. small light quiet electric models can be flown in a lot more places with no problems.. costs are low.. so no tears when I crash.. because foam is cheap and new builds are quick and easy.
Jul 07, 2019, 06:56 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
"It's mostly a result of getting my fill of toy airplane politics.”
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jul 07, 2019, 07:09 AM
He who stalls....falls!
Built the 17"x 15" Scrappy Friday, flew it Saturday, outdoors
I've been "wowed" by models before, but not "WOWED", this did!
If the Nut-ball is better than this, I dunno what I'll say.
Scrappy about 5.5 oz. with Gartt 2204, wasn't really trying to save weight, just fly.
I know it's all been said, but I couldn't believe the rolls ,
and just pure fun of flying.
Nut-Ball finished except push-rod connections, 83g (just shy of 3oz).
BR1306, 300 2S batt., de-cased std. 9x 3ch Rx, 3.7g servos, this model I aimed
for lightness for indoor.. Mine is 17.5" diam. (measuring stick was a bit out).

Why did it take me so long to try a Wing ?

cheers
Jul 08, 2019, 03:00 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Actually, if you take a good solid design and play around with the CG and control inputs it can be made either mild or wild. Sometimes it takes very little change, so only small adjustments and one at a time.

Take the simple delta or round shape with 'just' elevons. A bit of fiddling and it can be made to do some amazing wacky aerobatics with ease. The same goes for a LAR with just rudder and elevator, although inverted action is limited.
Last edited by goldguy; Jul 08, 2019 at 03:06 PM.
Jul 11, 2019, 05:24 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Gold , I was amazed the first time we tried a circular wing shape . I was expecting something skittery ( is that a word? ) But surprised when it flew like it was on rails … Much more stable than conventional wings , and yet capable of some great aerobatics . What a pleasant surprise !!!
I love the Nutball !!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jul 13, 2019, 03:35 AM
He who stalls....falls!
Here's hoping, my first pic on a forum. (Will have to improve my photographer!)
Nut-Ball and Dart.
Dart unflown, just finished.
One flight on Nut-Ball, in morning calm, fantastic!, now having winter blast.
Will have to wait for next indoor.
cheers
Jul 13, 2019, 09:19 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
It's a good start.

Quick Reply