gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
.. a matter of “Fidelity" …
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
to remove ads between posts
Sep 05, 2018, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmike
question one: Has anyone tried elevons on the nut ball? If so I would like a link to the posting.
question two: Has anyone tried inverting the wing with the tips angled down?

Thanks in advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Elevons will only work if you make the wing flat, then it's a PiPlane.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ighlight=PiYak
As gold says its not a nutball but it does fly like one.. With a lot of central dihedral , It has all the nutballs good characteristics
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...to-Fly-designs
Last edited by davereap; Sep 06, 2018 at 07:30 AM.
Sep 07, 2018, 12:05 AM
Mark Harrison
Quote:
……… just skill. (??)
And good looks!
Sep 12, 2018, 04:22 PM
2 (€) Cents worth....

1) Yes, your turn.
2) Don't think so, your turn.

As you have already heard, a Nutty is a Nutty is a Nutty, change it and you suffer.....

However, give it a go, few minutes to knock up whatever you fancy and see how it flies.
Report back here how you get on remembering how much fun you will have trying.....

Paul
Sep 12, 2018, 05:19 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
That’s the sole Reason we never called our circular mutation a Nutball … It’s Not a Nutball, but something different ( Potato Chip , my design ) …Elliptical heat bent dihedral , V tail … Not a Nutball
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Sep 20, 2018, 09:36 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
If your not breaking foam, your not having fun ………………..

2018 1st Nutball competition, Martin Luther King day, Boo Williams sports complex, Hampton, VA (2 min 55 sec)
Sep 20, 2018, 10:46 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Paramount is spending $7m in our town making a move and that includes a downtown face lift. That's only a fraction of the huge budget they're spending here on the island.

You'd think we were in the US of A right now. Got the stars and stripes all over the place, a new sheriff's station, US post office, a new barber shop, donut shop, restaurant, hotels, general store, etc., everything but a hobby shop.

Lots of big budget movies made here over the years, the last two Superman flicks and the last Godzilla just to name a few of many. All made to look like the settings are in America.
Sep 21, 2018, 05:45 AM
Jim
Quote:
If your not breaking foam, your not having fun ………………..

https://youtu.be/ZxK1H-Lk0WQ

That was a blast just to watch. Wish I could see it in person!
Sep 25, 2018, 01:19 AM

Servo question

I have a yet to be flown 432mm (17") Nutball and I'm a little concerned about my chosen servos. I've fitted Hmax 5 gram servos but they look out of place because they are so small. I have a pair of HXT 900 9 gram servos on hand and I'm wondering if I should fit them instead. I've used the 5 gram Hmax servos in other lighter lower powered planes and I'm happy with them in that role.

I may have gone a little overboard with strengthening the polystyrene foam and now have a ready-to-fly weigh of 177 grams (6.25 ounces) with the 5 gram servos. The battery weighs 51 grams which is nearly a third of the total weight..

I'll be on the road for five months or so and I'd like to take the Nutball with me but there won't be much point if the servos aren't up to the task.
Sep 25, 2018, 02:47 AM
"long stretch of water..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback_flier
I have a yet to be flown 432mm (17") Nutball and I'm a little concerned about my chosen servos. I've fitted Hmax 5 gram servos but they look out of place because they are so small. I have a pair of HXT 900 9 gram servos on hand and I'm wondering if I should fit them instead. I've used the 5 gram Hmax servos in other lighter lower powered planes and I'm happy with them in that role.

I may have gone a little overboard with strengthening the polystyrene foam and now have a ready-to-fly weigh of 177 grams (6.25 ounces) with the 5 gram servos. The battery weighs 51 grams which is nearly a third of the total weight..

I'll be on the road for five months or so and I'd like to take the Nutball with me but there won't be much point if the servos aren't up to the task.
Stick with the 5g servos, they'll be fine. I used HXT500 servos on my first 20" nutter.

Pat
Sep 25, 2018, 02:50 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Go with the 5s. But beware, the gears can't take a bad shock. Got spare gears, spare servos ??

NO?

If on the road away from parts, then the 'heavier' 9s for sure if.
Last edited by goldguy; Sep 25, 2018 at 03:18 AM.
Sep 25, 2018, 04:43 AM
Thank you Pat and goldguy regarding your servo advice.
Sep 25, 2018, 06:19 AM
Try the turnigy 1440a servos.. we use them a lot, they get lots of hits and shocks, but never broken a gear set..
I had one that got its arm snapped, but the gears were fine..Ive also had pushrods broken, again no servo damages.
They are very smooth , weigh only 4.4gms but have the same specs as the typical 5gm servos from else where..ie sg500's
best of all they are cheap...
I have them in my Quasar, Gymball and PP1... and various other models..that I crash and bash indoors...lol

I used to be keen on the sg500 and xt500's but the TGY are definitely better
Last edited by davereap; Sep 25, 2018 at 06:24 AM.
Sep 25, 2018, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
Try the turnigy 1440a servos.. [U]we use them a lot[/U,
OK, thanks Dave. I'll take your advice if I suffer a servo failure while I'm away.
Sep 30, 2018, 03:38 AM
Goldguy. You mentioned a 24 in. NB made from cardboard that you flew on the slope on the Dart XS thread. I would like to know it’s weight less ballast if possible. TIA. Danato

Quick Reply