Oct 23, 2008, 07:26 AM
but as we all know """Azarr""" is KIND of a beginner and does need all the help that we can give him!!! ( we will teach him of EXPO soon !!! )

Azarr will you be at DARK CO, OHIO this Sunday???
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2008, 01:13 PM

Why rudder on top?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtexas123
How would this thing fly with out the rudder and having flaperons or what ever you call them lol????

Andrew
Apart from being vulnerable when landing, why don't we fit rudders beneath the elevators as per the Keilcraft Caprice ( that ages me!), that way the rolling effect would be in the same direction as the yaw effect ? My NB will be as per original first then experiment after to try some changes ie elevons, rudder size and position etc. I like the idea of not having ailerons as I then only have one stick to worry about for directional control, Hover seems impossible to me using rudder and elevator and Ailerons and throttle, it's all too much!! Come on postman where's my 6mm Depron?
Oct 23, 2008, 02:56 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
He's on his way, he just dropped off my EPP and will be on the next flight over.
Oct 23, 2008, 03:37 PM
Visitor from Reality
Hi Gordon
You're not the only one who recalls the Caprice! I could never afford one when it was fairly new though... But I still have a Senator kit, and it's getting nearer to the top of the pile now RC and e-power is no sweat.

If you put the fin on the bottom, just roll inverted on short finals and land on her bottom Or maybe some CF rod protection would do the job with less stress?

Have to agree with you ref only having rudder / ele. I've had a bunch of RE RC models since I built Randy Randolph's low wing RE 'BeeTween' back in England, circa 1992. Mostly low wingers too - with the right dihedral and vertical area balance, they are simple to make and real good fun. Watching 'real' RC fliers trying to figure out how you did three consecutive rolls with no ailerons makes it all worthwhile.

The NB is even better - it hasn't got one of those annoying tailplane things either!

Regards

Dereck
Oct 23, 2008, 04:02 PM
Reap the wild wind
Hi Gordon
"Come on postman where's my 6mm Depron?" Your about 3 miles from me! Have you tried TLC at Branch, address
Unit 2,
Camwal Road,
St. Philips,
Bristol.
BS2 OUZ
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/tcl/sear...?search=depron.
Black only in size 1200x800x6mm @ £4.20+VAT. Don't always stock in local branch but happy to order say 2 sheets and usually comes in in a few days provided have it at their main branch. Just ensure that you request it to be boxed .
Hope this helps
Oct 23, 2008, 04:05 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich smith
Right on Del, your numbers match up with my tests almost exactly. You can see highest efficiency is obtained with 8" prop which is my goal. For super-duper performance the bigger props are where it's at.

I guess we have a little different idea on "within limits" too. For me it means too hot to handle (literally) while you are accepting the sellers specs. As a test I once dropped mags in a cup of hot water and sure enough it permanently raised KV. I admit my way is conservative and I seem to be unique in my obsession with efficiency.

Prop a. oz.. oz/a
8040=3.3/8.2 2.49 YEAH!
One warning about obsessing with efficiency (as I have done in the past):
the largest "oz/a" tends to be a largish low pitched prop spinning at a relatively low speed.
This tends to move a lot of air slowly (low 'pitch speed').
This is fine when there is no wind,
but when the wind starts blowing, the 'pitch speed' needs to be able to beat
the wind by a bit in order for the plane to go anywhere upwind.

Because of wind, I have had to decrease the prop size and increase the pitch,
or else even at WOT, my plane ends up moving backwards when flying into the wind.
Oct 23, 2008, 04:25 PM
RIP Azarr - "Old age is not for sissies"
[QUOTE=Dr. Sandy Frank]but as we all know """Azarr""" is KIND of a beginner and does need all the help that we can give him!!! ( we will teach him of EXPO soon !!! )

Azarr will you be at DARK CO, OHIO this Sunday???[/QUOT

Don't need no stinkin Expo . (actually even on my Nutball I have triple rates and expo on the right stick, but the rudder mix is another story) I didn't know Greenville was this weekend, I'll try and make it. We were in Williamsport PA last weekend.

Azarr
Oct 23, 2008, 04:35 PM
Azarr will you be at DARK CO, OHIO this Sunday???[/QUOT

Don't need no stinkin Expo . (actually even on my Nutball I have triple rates and expo on the right stick, but the rudder mix is another story) I didn't know Greenville was this weekend, I'll try and make it. We were in Williamsport PA last weekend.

"""4th Annual Swap Meet Extravaganza
OH
10/26/08 - Greenville, OH (E) 4th Annual Swap Meet Extravaganza. Site: Darke County Fairgrounds. For Info: Dean Hurd PH:937-548-7788 evenings. 8am - 2pm? 7am vendor set up, table rent $8 prepaid, $10 at door, $3 admission women and children under 12 free, raffle, door prizes, food and drinks. Planes, boats, and cars welcomed. Sponsor: DARKE COUNTY AERO MODELERS ASSOCIATION"""
Oct 23, 2008, 05:58 PM
If it flies, its cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr
I have my rates turned down on my right stick. However, I use a 100% mix rudder/aileron on the left stick with no expo and max possible throw. Flying on the right stick (rudder servo in aileron port) is smooth as can be, move the rudder stick and it's violent.

Azarr
www.ecubedrc.com
thats a good idea
Oct 23, 2008, 09:49 PM
Build more, websurf less
15" and 18" NBs.

The new 18 incher has a GoBrushless MiniGBx 17gm wound with 22 turns of #28 wire. Phoenix-10, 2sx350 Lipo, and GWS-DD 7x3.5 prop. AUW about 4-1/2 ounces. Also made from cafeteria trays.

The bigger one glides better than the smaller 3-1/2 ounce one, and also has more vertical punch with the MiniGBx motor (much higher quality than the HC 10gm).

Great fun.

Paul
Last edited by FlyingW; Oct 19, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
Oct 24, 2008, 03:44 AM
Headlessagain.......for depron in the UK I use these..

http://www.depron.co.uk/prices.htm

You have to buy in a bulk 20sheet pk, but even if you dont share your purchase you will get through it quick enough...£3/sheet includes VAT and delivery...
Oct 24, 2008, 12:50 PM
Reap the wild wind
Thanks Dave,
Are you trying to get me killed? My wife would have a fit if I bought that much depron. She already complains that she hits her head on my models hanging from the garage ceiling! Now, perhaps if Gordan was willing to split a pack.......
Andy
p.s. still flying your Estrados with 2200kv hi model,APC 6x4 & 1500 3 cell.Really shifts.
Oct 24, 2008, 03:31 PM
My wife's family is visiting from Nebraska so in their honor I built an "official" Huskers Mini-Nutball. It flies as well as its big brother and is just as fun.

Specs:
10" dia from 6mm EPP
10 gram 1811-20 2000KV motor w/ 6x3 GWS prop
10AX ESC
2 3.3g servos
250 Mah 15C 2S Lipo
(all hardware from Lazertoys)
AUW 84 grams
Oct 24, 2008, 03:55 PM
May I suggest one of these for your nutball?
http://donsrc.com/cart/index.php?act...od&productId=8
Oct 24, 2008, 04:49 PM
thanks tymbrewolf - i just repaired, re-ballanced and cut about 1/3 off the rudder. Fly's great

Quick Reply