Feb 06, 2017, 09:12 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
And this one........... Built for the slope and now powered up for indoor. Made from FFF/MPF and taking a beating from the guy I gave it too.

Adding tape to the edges which take all the abuse, only makes repairs more complicated. With the raw edge all you have to do is boil up a kettle of water and pore it over the compressed or broken foam, add a bit of glue and your back in action.

Bash some foam and plug in the kettle to see what I mean.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2017, 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
It's strange that with all the success of the NutBall as a rudder/elevator design, the first thing some want to do is modify it.

Something about our modeler's brains I guess.
I think its more along the lines of "wow! this looks good, now how can I make it better"... lol.. we often forget the time taken to get a model nicely sorted.. and we often change things without even building and flying an original , built to the plans...
I admit to doing this... my bad.. lol..
My very first nutballs were not exactly to plan.. I scaled up to 24" and altered the wing to tip sizes ratio, I simplified all the numbers and went TLAR on the fin.... the model flew great

modifying is my biggest fault... I even alter my own designs as I do a build.. and mostly I get good enough results, occasionally I get a fail, and occasionally one that's a long time keeper.. I have nutballs as keepers , also my gymballs and PP1 models..
The PP1 is another good'n that flies just like a nutball+ again center dihedral and big elevons

I will say that your Nutball was set as my "standard to beat".. from my first build, which brought a silly grin to my face, I have tried to get another simple plane that performs so nicely..
For RET it is impossible.. and only by using an extra servo, center dihedral, and nice big elevons could I make any improvement .. my gymball flies with all of the Nutballs good characteristics plus it has a much improved axial roll and easier inverted flight...
Last edited by davereap; Feb 07, 2017 at 02:28 AM.
Feb 07, 2017, 04:03 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
At least you don't make it into something else and still call it a NutBall, I'm fine with that.

Every time I build a new NB it's totally TLAR, so no two are ever the same, but they are still all NutBalls controlled only by rudder/elevator/throttle.

I guess I still reflect back when the local club pres. built a NB for indoor and before I got to see it fly he was telling everyone what a shi**y design it was. When I did get to see it fly he had made it with elevons. Some have posted the same thing here, saying what a crummy airplane it was, even thought they didn't adhere to the plan or original intent.

Oh well, we all know the truth..............
Last edited by goldguy; Feb 07, 2017 at 04:14 AM.
Feb 07, 2017, 04:19 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
I'm like everyone else, I can't help myself, here's my latest with 9 modifications/changes and improvement to the stock kit .................. but it's still a Rainbow wing................
Feb 07, 2017, 04:29 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
By the way Dave, I'm on my second year with your PP1 at indoor. It's in the same class as the Gymball and the PiPlane, great flier you can push to the limit.
Last edited by goldguy; Feb 07, 2017 at 03:02 PM.
Feb 07, 2017, 05:10 AM
Pass me that hammer...........
Quote:
Originally Posted by delcie70

Lesson learned: To build light, you gotta watch everything.

Darrell

True. But don't sweat it too much. It gets easier after you've built and flown some.

One thing I found helpful was to first pick a size (diameter) I wanted to make. Then decide what wing loading I wanted it to be. That gives you a target weight to aim at. Then divide that target weight up into Nutball component parts (airframe, motor/ESC, battery, servos etc) to give you a "weight budget". That gives you a rough guide to build to.

Dave
Feb 07, 2017, 05:57 AM

Orientation

I've just been out flying my 40" Nutball and again had orientation problems.

Never previously experienced it with Nutballs (apart from the maiden flight of this one), so I'm interested in why it happens and what to do about it.

This morning is breezy at 9mph gusting 18 mph. So I was flying high (100 to 200 feet at a guess) and further out (200 yards or so).

Because this Nutball is drab, dark grey with no distinguishing features, all I have to orient it is wheels (5" diameter) and tail fin/rudder (12" tall). Mostly thats all I need because "the pilot knows where he is putting the plane". But sometimes the wind adds some turn/bank and its new orientation is tricky to follow. So I have to let go the sticks and wait to see what happens - which is OK for Nutballs if you have a bit of height.

So... I'm going to have to paint it ...

Dave
Feb 07, 2017, 08:39 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Dave , from our humble experience with large saucers, The bigger disks seemed to benefit from both Elevon and Rudder controls ... which have to move a lot of air in that size range ... ( sq. in. ) .... and a bit of paint would look very Nice eh ? Some reflective stickers work a treat for visibility ( and a bit of “Flash" ) especially in the larger sizes ...
Last edited by gpw; Feb 07, 2017 at 08:46 AM.
Feb 07, 2017, 09:44 AM
Thanks, Glen. Some sound advice.

I built this one as a standard Nutball - it handles really well and I'm very pleased with it. It doesn't feel big on the sticks - if that makes any sense - and it is a delight to fly, being nice and responsive even at slow speed.

I've just got back from the art shop with the only 2 fluorescent colours they had. I'll paint the outer dihedral panels different colours (like in my avatar) and the main panel white with tape stripe/flashes....... should keep me quiet for the rest of the day

Dave
Feb 07, 2017, 09:51 AM
Kimbers Keeper.
The black one can get real stealth when it drops below the tree line.

Feb 07, 2017, 10:22 AM
I've long admired your model finishes, BHOFM - nice work!

Do you find it helps with orientation?

Dave
Feb 07, 2017, 10:45 AM
Kimbers Keeper.
Helps a lot, has white dots on top. The white is better. Lots of red on them.

And, thanks.
Feb 07, 2017, 10:56 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Like the old timer told me when I said we couldn’t see the plane very well ... “ Fly Closer !!! “ ...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Feb 07, 2017, 03:10 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
If you look at any color at altitude, they're all black. So, black with a contrast color works very well. I use it a lot on my slopers and at 400 feet altitude it works for my eyes and brain.

I say brain because I use similar color themes and patterns on all my planes, and it helps me to instantly recognize the attitude/altitude of my model before panic sets in.

I read an article in a British model magazine a zillions years ago about an experiment of how visible different colors were under all cloud conditions and at different altitudes using helium filled balloons.

White was the best and red was 'one' of the worst.

That's all I remember.
Last edited by goldguy; Feb 07, 2017 at 03:17 PM.
Feb 07, 2017, 03:18 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Also, the auto industry deems white as the safest color the same reason mentioned above.

Quick Reply